1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Discussing the Russell Westbrook Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Checking it out now!

Clutch likes this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sweet!

Hopefully some positives... as many here I'm still on the fence in regards to Westbrook's addition.

macho GRANDE and daywalker02 like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Disagree with @BimaThug that Westbrook is better right now than CP3. I'm with @Clutch that Paul is now extremely underrated because he had a fluky bad shooting season. Paul is better than Westbrook and has been for their entire careers. Even this year when he was "terrible" according to Clutchfans, he was better than Westbrook according to advance stats.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

@BimaThug says he is not far from the ledge on Westbrook, then later says we can win a championship with Westbrook. I was expecting him to be a lot more critical after opening with that. For the record I’d side with him on Westbrook being a better player and making the team better. I do think the injury potential of Paul was a factor in Morey’s willingness to do it.

6. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

If your once-in-a-generation megastar pushes for a trade, you make that trade, especially in a time when an unhappy star has the ability to turn a franchise on its head.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@Clutch I didn't know you were on Team Winslow too!

I can't see Riley helping us now that they aren't getting Russ.

Love, Covington, Crowder or Iggy seem like logical targets. Otto Porter or Winslow would be my choices.

da_juice and jch1911 like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's amusing witnessing Clutch going through the 7 stages of grief for the past week.

The numbers are clear: CP3 is the better player. :p

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I like the emotions on full display Clutch, vs the more reserved clutch. It's entertaining.

da_juice, Deuce, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I liked the emphasis on both not having anything left to prove as players and that an MVP pursuit isn’t desired or expected from either. That you both hope that Harden’s minutes are reduced, that Westbrook will likely be the point guard when both are on the court, or James is off. If Westbrook averages a triple double, it’s fine, because it’ll be as a Rocket and within the system. Again, not expected. I also liked how you stuck to your guns about the possibility of CP3 having a better season this year than last, and what you see as Chris being a better fit, but will be happy to admit it if you’re wrong. Can’t be more fair than that. Your laugh in the background at some of Bima’s comments didn’t go unnoticed. ;-)

Like the comments about Morey still having work to do, that MDA has to earn an extension by proving he can make this work. Enjoyed that discussion. Really liked the back and forth about Westbrook’s contract and the impact of the picks OKC got. I think we could call that “Presti’s Revenge.” Morey must have been in marathon discussions about this deal. Liked Bima saying Fertitta needs to go all in for this season and a championship by actually opening his wallet. You both liked the more minor moves by Morey so far. Rivers, House, Bennett, Chandler. Hoping for more folded into the big trade. Good stuff!

Great discussion. Really enjoyed it! :cool:

#10 Deckard, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    da_juice, Deuce, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks for this Clutch and Bima.

Bima's 3 things we don't know:

1) Rockets were worried about CP3's long-term health. I think that's right. How could they not?

2) Harden and CP3's relationship deteriorated. I think that's right. James may be a great player, but he's a bit of a diva, a bit immature, and CP3 has a history of grading on people. He also probably saw CP3's decline from the first year. It's his team; he figured he didn't have to live with the status quo. He got the owner on board. Morey wants to keep Harden happy. It's at worst a lateral move.

3) Morey might have been on board. I doubt he was against it; probably thought it was smarter to wait for a better opportunity. But there is very little doubt that this was driven primarily by Harden and Tilman.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. basketballholic

@BimaThug

Simple question.

Assuming both Westbrook and Paul are healthy going into 2020 playoffs and assuming they stay healthy throughout the playoffs which man would you prefer to have on the court for the Rockets to win those playoff series?

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

With all of your assumptions, I’d lean towards Chris Paul. But those are some VERY significant assumptions. Also, I am assuming that injuries (not age or general degradation in his game) were to blame for his shortcomings this past season. Again, significant assumptions.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If you are willing to write off Paul's bad season as a fluke, why can't you do the same in WB's case?

Well done on the podcast, @BimaThug @Clutch, entertaining listen.

BigMaloe, Hakeemtheking and amaru like this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Because this year wasn't an outlier for Westbrook.

BaselineFade, BigMaloe and Deckard like this.
  16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

how significant of a dip are you using to define an outlier type season?

17. Chamillionaire

House and Rivers will be key contributors off the bench.
    Chandler coming off the bench, elite rebounding
    Gordon, Capela, Tucker all career years.
    Westbrook his most efficient year.
    Beard with another MVP year.

One more piece and we're competing for a championship.
    Can't wait for the season to start.

#17 Chamillionaire, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think WB being younger gives him an important edge, I love CP3's Defense and the only reason I would consider WB much better is because CP3 can only play 60 games every year.

The only reason but yeah, I agree he could be underrated.

CP's shooting and Bball Smarts will be sorely missed. And it was a darn stupid contract.

(I would be doing summersaults like Clutch if we got PG13 instead of WB0.)

#18 daywalker02, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  19. amaru

amaru Member

I’ve almost forgotten what a healthy Chris Paul looks like.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Do we also assume a healthy cp3 shoots 27% from 3 again?
    if so i am going to war with westbrook