1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The life and death of Eddie Griffin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

He didn't show any improvement his second year because he was a hardcore alcoholic, with a number of off the court issues (some not even discussed in the article) and mental issues as well.

Had Griffin had a better off the court mind set (I really believe he had emotional problems) he would have been a Hall of Famer type player.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What the Rockets did was their own decisions.

Pretty sad his main pillar of support for being an adult passed away too soon, but if he already had cracks of a falling out, I'm not sure the crux of the article would've prevented deeper dysfunction.

That said, it's a real sad story for Eddie and his family. With that pro-rated 5 million, he could've just retired but basketball became the only thing left in life that provided him hollow meaning. Plus he notion and shackle of putting the world on his shoulders to support his family. Everything in that article supports Eddie's inability to say no while rebelling or self destructing in place of it. Sounds like a pretty difficult upbringing.

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

It's tremendously sad that he's dead, but I was glad when the Rockets were rid of Eddie Griffin. People talk about him showing flashes, but that's not how I remember him. I remember the less-than-mediocre forward who missed so many more shots than he made in Yao's rookie year. He never seemed to care and showed no emotion at all. I understand now that he was very troubled and possibly mentally ill, which is kinda heartbreaking. But I did not enjoy watching him play.

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yeah dude had a ton of potential. That one person in the article mentioned that he Anthony Davis reminds him of Eddie Griffin. I can see that in the rebounding and block shots department. Eddie was a better outside shooter and Davis is a better ball handler, but wow did he have some unique skills. Really, really sad that he couldn't be as good in life as he was at basketball.

And of course he showed no improvement his second year. Read the article. Basketball no longer seemed that important to him because of the other things in life he was dealing with.

5. TheresTheDagger

Man that was tough to read, but it was very well written.

Somehow the word tragic doesn't seem to go far enough in describing Eddie's story.

R.I.P.

6. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Great article, thanks for sharing. There is never, and I do mean never, a time when I cross those tracks at Lawndale and not think of Eddie's spirit. On the many occasions when I don't make the green light and I am forced by the red light to wonder about that night. I often find myself in agreement with his family, that something just isn't right.