1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Centerfield Solutions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Landry's Tooth, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I loved Raley down the stretch and the playoffs and he’s the only lefty in the pen. Makes no sense to let him walk for pennies.

I hope they do sign Rosenthal or Colome.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Taylor is a lefty.

3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Yeah forgot about Taylor still need 2-3 lefties at a minimum.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Diaz at $3M is a no-brainer. His health has certainly been an issue, but on the field he's great to have. He should be in line for 400+ PAs and gives tons of late game flexibility.

Castro is a bigger question mark since you'd expect him to start maybe 60 games.

Baez has been so super consistent, and certainly earned that $6.5M for the Dodgers, but there is definitely reason for concern that age is about to catch up with him.

I think Raley didn't deserve an MLB deal.

We'll see what Marisnick signs for, but you'd have to think he could have been had for similar money to what we paid Castro. Of course, maybe we sign him or a somewhat similar talent.

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Castro is a good back up catcher, I guess the thought is that they can quasi platoon him and if Maldonado struggles or is hurt that Castro is good enough to start and be "okay". So in a vacuum I think he is worth the 3.5 million just not under the circumstances.

Baez has been consistent, just not someone you want as one of the top couple arms in the pen. He pitches well coming into a clean inning. The fastball velocity has really gone down the last couple years but his fastball control has improved. I think he is fine as a fourth reliever in the pen, but I don't think that is what the Astros necessarily needed.

As for Diaz, I am concerned about his injuries and I personally would rather have Toro get those at bats. I am fine with him, but his money could have been added to the Baez money for a better reliever.

Raley is someone that really hasn't been very good. I just know that late last year several coaches made comments about him "figuring it out" and if I remember correctly we used him in the playoffs in a few tight spots.

There are still a few guys like Marisnick and Pilar that can play center like you said. While we know both are limited long term offensively, they are at least playable.

raining threes and IowaAstro like this.
  6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Postseason staff is just about set

1. Grienke
    2. Valdez
    3. Whitley
    4. Javier

5. Rosenthal
    6. Pressly
    7. J. Smith
    8. Paredes
    9. Taylor
    10. Raley
    11. Urquidy
    12. Verlander
    13. Pruitt
    14. McCullers

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Did Houston sign Rosenthal? Link?

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

No that’s the part waiting to be set. Lol

9. Landry's Tooth

How about Jayson Heyward?

He's played some in center... better corner outfielder than center probably but likely wouldn't be a liability out there...

He has 3 years 72 million left... if Cubs cover 40% of that it would be like 14 million a year for 3 years as a stop gap... i would think a few young arms might be enough with the saving payroll...

10. PhiSlammaJamma

There is a fine line and some grass between looking at centerfield and centerfold solutions.