1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Draymond Green rants that players are not treated well enough

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets4Life13, Feb 16, 2021.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Arguing for minutes is a slippery slope. If a player averaged 25 mpg and fails to meet his incentive bonus, can he accuse the team of breaching the contract b/c he needed 30 mpg to reach the bonus? Additionally, "performance" is subjective, and team needs trump individual player needs. Sounds like a losing argument.

2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I think there's a big difference between "arguing for minutes" vs. "sit on the bench in street clothes". Agree that performance is subjective, which is why I didn't say it was a definite breach, but that there might be a leg to stand on from a legal contract stand point.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you mean like how Kawhi held the spurs hostage for years?

bmelo and Nook like this.
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL people watch the NBA to see the players hard work on court first and foremost. Last is anything the owners add to enhance the "experience"

Nook and Patience like this.
  5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt it. It would be ridiculous if teams were forced to act in a players' best interest instead of its own. Remember, a bonus incentive isn't guaranteed, and some of them are unlikely to be met anyways. Does an unrealistic bonus incentive constitute a breach? Absolutely not.

Jayzers_100 and napalm06 like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That dichotomy doesn't hold for me because players with leverage can negotiate no movement clauses. If you want or don't want something, negotiate it and rely on your agent to be contract literate. That's why agents exist (other than being leeches). The owners are playing that same game. Negotiations are all about pushing the chips around on the table. Not agreeing because the dollar amount is high and then sitting out half way through your contract because you neglected to consider something.

Yes trades exist, yes you're an asset on a team's books. This isn't philosophically denigrating, it's collective bargaining. The CBA is part of your contract as an owner and a player and is the rules you agree to play by if you want that enticing $60M to put on a jersey. They are open and available to read, challenge and exploit in negotiations.

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Right, the contracts would never promise to give the player an opportunity to reach those incentive bonuses. This isn’t like the NFL where many contracts have the bulk of the income non-guaranteed. The incentives are designed so that a team is mitigating the risk of committing big money to an unproven talent. Hence why Capela had incentive-laden bonuses rather than James Harden.

8. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

It’s pretty simple. A player looses trade value if he gets injured. It isn’t personal at all. Good lord the Chinese are licking their lips at our American feelings.

9. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

So basically, Draymond is upset about:

— Players getting traded mid-game
    — Players getting traded during all-star activities
    — Players ‘supposedly’ being forced to sit out games until a trade occurs
    — Media and fans bashing players for wanting off a team, but not bashing teams for wanting to get rid of players

This is straight comedy. Last time I checked, I’m pretty sure the contract they sign and the bargaining agreement between the NBA and player’s union states a team can trade players whenever and to whoever they feel like, barring any trade clauses — including mid-game. Cavs and Drummond probably came to an agreement to sit games out and stay in street clothes until a trade to AVOID the situation of being traded mid-game and having to be subbed out, yet Draymond is still over here still crying.

Regarding the public perception of players wanting out, wtf does that have anything to do with the owners and organizations? They can’t control what media and fans say and think on Twitter.

It’s funny though how easily he excused Harden for forcing himself out of a contract with 2 years left, disrespecting Silas and his teammates, and ‘dogging’ his last days in Houston.

gotsis likes this.
  10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

At least he made a strong case with examples and evidence. Good job by him. Agree or disagree, it was refreshing to see a player strongly state a grievance.

gotsis, Nook and FrontRunner like this.
  11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Correct, and he is right. He's just calling out the double standard.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I listened to it and I just don't care. Seems pretty trivial and this seems like Draymond being hypersensitive....again. This stuff isn't uncommon and they are in all likelihood working with Drummond's requests. Maybe it's not perfect, but breakups are rarely perfect. Does he think all big dollar business is super polite and sweet to all parties involved? Owners and management get blasted too by their fans and media all the time too.

What world is he living in? Maybe I just completely missed his point.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

How is Green wrong? There is a double standard. Now, how much do I care about this in the scheme of things? Not much, but the shut up and dribble crowd aren't convincing to me either.

DVauthrin, Bearded13 and FrontRunner like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm still trying to understand his rant. I see people agreeing with it, but I don't know what his point is other than just complaining that things aren't perfect. I felt like I was listening to a rich celebrity complain about their life.

Is he mad teams can trade players and the players can't demand a trade publicly?
    Is he mad that players get hammered when they ask for trades?
    Does he want players to not get fined for publicly asking for trades?
    Is he mad that the media seems to go after players harder than ownership and management?
    Is he mad that players can't take a couple games off for stress issues?
    Is he mad players have to act professional when there are potential trade talks?

What exactly does he want?

15. HardenVolumeOne

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

speak on it Draymond...the double standard is real

teams can say it’s just business, but when a player decides it’s time to handle their business, it’s a problem

DVauthrin likes this.
  17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

How is this confusing to you?

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yes, to most of those queries.

I think it boils down to an unequal give and take.

Let's say player A signed a 5 year max contract with team A. But the expectation was to play with the current roster of team A for those 5 years. Suddenly, the team decides to tank and rebuild within a year, so that the roster you signed up to play with is pretty much barebones. Although you're paid a lot of money, is it fair for player A to play on a bad team for 4 more years?

Let's say player A signs the same contract to play for team A. For whatever reason, in the middle of the first year (of 5), the team decides to suddenly trade you to the worst team in the opposite conference. You signed that contract to more or less play for team A, with the expectation that you'd be there. Player A hasn't done anything wrong or gone about his business the wrong way. The team just happens to exert its power and trade player A.

So, the unequal give and take. It's totally within teams' bounds to trade whoever, whenever, if they view the situation as beneficial to them. However, if a player decides he doesn't want to play for the team anymore and wants out, he's immediately criticized for "being paid too much" or "not being a good cultural fit" or whatever.

To the people complaining about too much player empowerment or how every player is acting spoiled or whatever: that's not what Draymond is saying. Everyone is spinning this to be as if Draymond is advocating every single player to have a no-trade clause or something. That's not the case.

Draymond is just wanting players to get more transparency into the workings of front offices, so that players can better prepare themselves (physically, mentally, emotionally, etc) for the inevitable break-up.

DVauthrin and robbie380 like this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I do think it is weird for the team to say that they are trading the player and not play him. I don't get it.

And yeah, trade rumors are bad for players and bad for team morale. That's why I never liked the days when there were constant rumors with Morey wheeling and dealing.

When players want to be traded, they should talked to the FO quietly. When a team wants to trade a player, they should do it quietly too. Is that what Draymond wants?

20. TimDuncanDonaut

Shaq and Wade's take. Some of it just notifying a player, instead of players finding out the news from the public.