1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Games Today relating to the Big 12 BCS Mess

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Major

Major Member

Kansas vs. Missouri - Missouri losing would hurt Texas in the computers as that's the big marquee win that Tech/OU don't have. Not looking great for Texas right now, with KU up 26-16 early 3rd quarter. Combined with Nebraska beating Colorado yesterday, this would really help TT/OU and hurts Texas.

Florida vs. Florida State - If FSU can pull the big upset and then Florida beats Alabama next week, you've got OU vs. Texas for the national title (barring OU losing).

Oregon vs. Oregon State - If OSU wins, that puts USC in the Fiesta Bowl against whoever goes from the B12 (probably Texas). Otherwise, it's likely Ohio State or Utah.

Auburn vs. Alabama - If Auburn can win (I think this is the most likely upset possibility today), it reshuffles the voting and the computers at the top, which will be a bit unpredictable and maybe throw the BCS tiebreaker into a bit of a mess. In the unlikely scenario that Alabama then beats Florida next week, you'd probably have the UT vs OU national title game.

Tech vs. Baylor - Tech loses and UT wins the B12. Highly, ridiculously unlikely.

OSU vs. OU - been talked about more than enough.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Assuming they win the Big 12 championship game. :)

It's 26-23 now with Kansas still leading. The weather looks nasty at that game.

3. Major

Major Member

Sorry - should have said B12 South. All of the above assumes the B12 South winner wins the B12 title game. Going into today, I actually thought Missou had a really good shot at the B12 Title against either Tech or Texas (not so much OU), but they haven't looked all that good today. I felt like people forgot about Missou after the consecutive losses, but they'll be playing basically a home game in that title game, and none of the B12 South teams have looked nearly as good on the road thus far.

4. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Missouri only down three with about a minute left in the 3rd.

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

6. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I like FSU's defense, too. Florida has beaten exactly ONE team that is still ranked.

Honestly, the argument shouldn't be which ONE team of OU, UT, TT goes to the title game. Honestly, I think all three teams are better than the two top teams in the SEC.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

7-0 Florida. I was hoping for a Fla St. win, but if this first drive by Fla is a sign, then it's going to be a blowout.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh wow, Kansas just took the lead over Mizzou on a 4th down play with 33 seconds left. Ouch.

9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Mizzou loses. UT's shot at a NC is severely diminished.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm confused. Texas beat both Missouri and Kansas. Why does it hurt Texas either way? It makes KU look better and Missouri will still likely be in the top 25 and is already in the Big 12 Championship game. I don't think Mizzou losing does nearly as much damage as you guys do.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what a game... not good for Texas

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Texas played Mizzou while OU and Tech did not. Beating Missouri was one of UT's hallmark wins. Not so much anymore.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A Big 12 south team needs to represent the north this year.

14. Major

Major Member

Missouri losing really hurts us in the 3-way tiebreaker scenario. FSU's not helping at all. Best bet now may be Baylor (sadly), who's holding tough with Tech early on.

15. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

What an amazing catch by Crabs.

Though hes getting up a little slower each time :(

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm pretty suprised that UF and Bama won so easily.

That is going to be an epic game come next week.

17. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Florida will win comfortably. I think I'm the only one that isn't overly impressed with either team but I'd say Florida is a better team than Alabama.

18. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Nothing to be surprised about. They have become a complete team since the Ole Miss loss. Offense, defense, and special teams are hitting on all cylinders. It's tough enough to try to win in a shootout with Florida, but when their D can also clamp down, it spells disaster for opposing teams.

The Bama game next week could be scary, but if they get in a hole, they are going to have a tough, tough time digging themselves out of it.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If OU loses tonight...doesn't it also diminish a potential TT win over Mizzou in the Big XII championship?? Wouldn't that help TX in that scenario??

As a Longhorn fan, who the heck am I supposed to be rooting for tonight?? OU or OSU?

20. Major

Major Member

If OU loses tonight, yes. Mizzou losing really hurt us in the 3-way tiebreaker scenario because we played them and OU and Tech didn't, so it hurts us in the computers and helps both of them. If OU loses tonight, then we're looking at a totally different picture to see whether Tech can catch us, which would mostly depend if they can make up a whole bunch of ground in the polls after next week.