1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Rockets lose homecourt advantage as Jazz even series 1-1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 3, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Same thing I believed in and said after game 3 against the Wolves. The Rockets play defense and give better effort, and this game is a toss up despite poor shooting from us and excellent shooting from the Jazz. Eh, actually it already was a toss up near the end until the Jazz went on that run. Play defense this game, and the Rockets likely win this game. I don't really understand why the Rockets gave the Jazz a 19 point lead. The Jazz were playing like they were offensive juggernauts destroying our defense. Yet, the Rockets cut it to 9 to end the half, and even got a 5 point lead eventually. No officiating excuses either. Basketball teams and the Rockets will always have bad shooting nights, but the hope is that it is limited to 1 to 2 games a series. The other hope is that even when they do have a bad shooting game it is countered by terrific defense. I agree with MK on the first thing he pointed out. For that reason we shouldn't be worried as fans. Everything went wrong for the Rockets in the first half, and everything went right for the Jazz yet Houston only lost by 8 points.

But I am worried.

We are in the semifinals playing against a team that embarrassed Russell Westbrook and Paul George in the 1st round, and have played great ball for the past 3 months. Why aren't we playing with the focus and intensity of other teams? What else needs to happen for the Rockets to wake up?

whiskeyred, Hakeemtheking and amaru like this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the quick turnaround on another pod, gentleman.

This is what I somewhat expected in this game. A rested, well coached, hungry and talented Jazz team was going to come out and fight. This team throttled the Warriors earlier in the year, you have to know that they’re a good team with the way they closed this season.

A little adversity shows what a team is made of, so it’s time for the Rockets to dig deep. Yes it’s only one loss, so the sky is not falling. But, this team has got to get their minds right and come out firing from the jump. This is not the regular season so they cannot just turn it on and expect a cakewalk through the playoffs.

My biggest concerns are the lack of production from the bench( WHERE IS ANDERSON AND GORDON) and defense. If the Rockets play consistent D and push off of turnovers I think they’ll be ok. When the pace was increased it was clearly in the Rockets favor last night. Do not give the Jazz a chance to execute their defensive game plan.

It was cool hearing MK kind of be the calming voice here, because my mindset was leaning more toward the way you feel, Clutch. While it’s only one loss, it doesn’t take much for momentum to shift in a series. So I’m concerned.

Gotta have faith in the Rockets because they’ve earned that with their play this year. Titles are very much earned, so let’s hope this team is the team we saw the whole year.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Oddly, I enjoyed this podcast more than the first one after the win. I guess I needed to hear some things talked out. The "fan" in me is right with you @Clutch. But also, this is where having someone unbiased like MK really comes through with perspectives.

whiskeyred and Clutch like this.
  5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah MK. Just steady the ship. Our ship is better than their ship.

The psychology of a "must-win game" comes into play too. I think anytime a team is down 2 games, "must-win" applies. T'Wolves were down 2, going home (and with all the extra off court stuff) took their best shot to win a game, where they had to win or basically concede defeat.

Jazz, clearly last night was a "must-win" for them. They go back home down 2, even if they win both it wouldn't feel like momentum at 2-2 going back to Houston. Now, let's say they split in Utah....2-2 going back to Houston but they are going to feel like they are hanging with us.

But file me with MK's ship-steady take. Their #1 hurracanrana barely beat our sluggish, shoot like ****, bad defensive effort. Even with Utah's magic color-changing court and terrible people in the stands....if THAT'S what they are counting on, they're ****ed.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This was Part where I was a bit disgusted with the Reffing.

Rocket River

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Clutch - thank you

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very nice podcast from you and MK, @Clutch. Lots of stuff in there that could be talked about, but when the two of you discussed Gordon, I wondered if you saw what I saw. Yes, Gordon hasn't been shooting well, but last night he was 3-6 from behind the arc. Why didn't James (or Chris) go to him more? A couple of times, Harden could have passed to a wide open Gordon and instead passed to Tucker, who had missed a trey during the previous possession. Tuck missed again and was 1-5 for the night from long range. James was probably trying to get PJ going, but I would rather he feed the hot hand. Heck, Gordon needs to get going as well. I think there was a missed opportunity there. Might not have changed the outcome, but Eric is capable, when he really is hot, of giving us a night similar to the one Ingles had, in my opinion.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Houston defence sucks. Jazz got 96 this time got 116. Also tucker and other shooters are shoot poorly

10. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Why jazz fans can take close seat to fxck harden?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I just replied to your tweet of the podcast, might as well add it here, too.

DonKnock and Deuce like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Posted this on twitter but might as well post here. With regards to Chris Paul....

Pet peeve. There are many times early in shot clock. 24-18, 18-12 where CP3 runs a PNR, the defender trails and CP has a wide open jumper 3. And doesn’t take it (looking for a better shot from past experience). But in this offense, take the shot! Old habits die hard.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Where the **** is my game 3 podcast @Clutch? what am i suppose to do all day? watch eastern conference basketball?

#13 tallanvor, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018