1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurrier to South Carolina?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1925598

Spurrier said to have agreed in principle

ESPN.com news services

South Carolina football coach Lou Holtz said last week that it'd be a great thing if Steve Spurrier were the one to replace him if he retires.

Now, according to reports, that could be closer than ever to reality.

ESPN has confirmed a report in the Nashville Tennessean that Spurrier, who won a national title and six SEC championships in 12 seasons at Florida, has agreed in principle to be the next coach of the Gamecocks.

The newspaper, which identified its source as being someone close to the situation, reported that an announcement is expected early next week.

South Carolina spokesman Kerry Tharp denied the report. Tharp, associate athletic director, said that Holtz, who is 67, still needs to make a decision regarding whether he wants to return for a seventh season with the Gamecocks.

"Let's let him make that assessment," Tharp told The Associated Press on Thursday. "I can't comment on what people are speculating. I'd just as soon leave it at that."

South Carolina athletic director Mike McGee would not confirm or deny the report and referred all questions to Tharp. Holtz canceled a scheduled meeting with the media Thursday after practice.

Several times this season, Holtz has said he feels tired and worn out. He also has mentioned that Spurrier would be a good choice to succeed him and has continually made references to "whoever is the coach next year" when questioned about his future.

Holtz is signed through 2008. However, a clause in his deal lets him or the university get out of the agreement with five days' notice.

On Monday, Holtz refused to talk about his plans.

"This is not a good time to talk about it, it really isn't," Holtz said. "It's just not a good time."

South Carolina (6-4) ends its regular season Saturday at Clemson (5-5).

Spurrier, 59, has said that he would probably prefer the college ranks if he decides to get back into coaching. He hasn't coached since he resigned from the Washington Redskins in 2003 after going 12-20 in two seasons. Spurrier, who left Florida abruptly in 2002, also has been linked to a potential opening at North Carolina, according to published reports.

Spurrier went 20-13-1 in three seasons at Duke before taking over at Florida, his alma mater, in 1990. He posted 122 victories over 12 seasons, tormented opponents with his offensive flair and witty one-liners, and left town with the best winning percentage in league history.

Earlier this month, Spurrier withdrew his name from consideration to return to Gainesville, where Ron Zook was fired last month after two-plus seasons.

Last week, Holtz told The (Columbia, S.C.) State: "I can understand why [Spurrier] would want to come here, and I can also understand why they would want him."

And earlier this week, Holtz confirmed that he had spoken to Spurrier, whom he said he considers a friend.

"I've talked to Steve," Holtz said. "I don't want to go in that direction, but I have talked to him. We talked about how you cure a slice, his son, etc. Steve's a good friend of mine, as I said. All I want to talk about is Clemson, Clemson, Clemson. That's all. That's the only thing on my mind."

Spurrier and Holtz are friends. Spurrier helped Holtz's wife, Beth, obtain an appointment with Florida's NCAA faculty advisor Dr. Nicholas Cassisi for treatment for her throat cancer. When Beth Holtz was in the university's surgical center for several weeks, Spurrier's wife, Jerri, checked on her several times to see what she needed.

"He didn't have to do any of that," Holtz said in 1999. "He's got a million other things on his mind. I was out of coaching."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that article is funnier if you read lou holtz's quotes imagining his voice doing it.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A big blow to burnt orange visors.

4. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

[Seinfeld quote]

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Mack Brown/Greg Davis: 4 more years! 4 more years!

:)

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

LHutz should have some more time for posting in the future i guess

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Rumor is Hootie has arranged to have Spurrier on at Augusta. Don't know if he will have full blown membership but that is a rumored part of teh deal.

Again I have no idea why Spurrier went there. SC is a nice school but can he really win a Ntl. Championship there? Seems odd to me. But as a college football fan it is great for the sport.