1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020/21 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

At least you're not VAT

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Are there posted odds yet of who the coach after Nagelsmann will be in 18 months or so? I've never seen such a successful team tear through coaches like Bayern does. It's really strange, and yet amazing, that they're able to sustain such success with such a high rate of turnover.

ferrari77 and daywalker02 like this.
  4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Laughs in

[​IMG]

I could add Florentino and Laporta to this as well. They INVESTED Zilch because they don't own their teams.

The only "new" (as in the past two decades) owners of BIG TIME footy teams that invested in their teams are Roman, Sheikh Mansour/City Football Group, Sheikh Al-Thani/QSI. I guess I can add John Henry to some extent. Juve and the Agnelli family sure. Definitely not Kroenke. Definitely not the AC MIlan owners- Elliott and his fund.

Billionaires don't like to spend money if they don't have to.

malakas likes this.
  5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

https://www.skysports.com/football/...k-vieira-to-join-daniel-ek-in-bid-to-buy-club

Arsenal fans are delusional if they think Stan Kroenke will sell that team just because they want him to or because former Arsenal legends who Kroenke couldn't give two $hits about and couldn't identify if they wore nametags , want to buy the team. They're learning what United fans have had to learn over the past decade and a half or so in dealing with the Glazers.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@Yung-T would tune in to Arsenal now.

7. Raz

Raz Member

Now official:

Kinda weird to dismiss a coach that won the treble just seven months ago. Nagelsmann ist 33 years old, so I guess Bayern sees him as their Ferguson or Wenger.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think they will be patient with him.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The difference is the clash between the USA system where sports franchises are going up up up, and Europe with relegation and promotion which can allow valuations to go up or down.

I get why owners attempted this, because even if they were demoted in their domestic leagues they would always be in the Super League.

They mishandled it greatly, should have worked out with their domestic leagues and let their fans know it was NOT going to effect their commitment there.

And they should have found a way, in the UK to support the FA cup too - then the fans would have been passive about it all.

But UEFA is just an org that profits off of other people's product, they are just a tournament facilitator, nothing more.....they are benefiting without putting in any money.

DD

10. malakas

malakas Member

There's nothing to explain for fans to understand.

Unless it is some fans who only join bandwagons to only win or are completely selfish there is nothing that needs to be explained.

Of course a closed super league will destroy all domestic leagues and of course it will poison and erode the club system.

Also the difference is that in the USA system the franchises belongs to the owners and they can do whatever they want with it. Relocate, change the colours, change the emblem , steal the trophies away etc, but in the clubs the club never belongs to the owner. They are the custodians. That's the perspective of the fans. Especially historic clubs with 3+ generations of fans. Laugh all you want or call naives but fans feel entitled to actively meddle in all the club's serious affairs especially entering a closed league.

If some billionaire owner wanted to relocate a football club with a huge fanbase I wouldn't be surprised if he got assasinated. Death threats are for certain but I woudn't be surprised if they succeed I mean.

11. leroy

They just parted with a coach that has won literally every trophy they played for in the last 18 months...with now the exception of this year's Champions League. I don't think patience is exactly a virtue for Bayern when it comes to head coaches.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just have the Popcorn ready at your disposal.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You understand that Flick was the one that wanted to leave, even though Bayern wanted to keep him til the last minute?

14. leroy

I get that and my comments are mostly tongue in cheek...but it is strange for a team in their position that burns through as many coaches as they do.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There was zero coaching philosophy after they departed with Pep (before that you could see a clear emphasis on building the foundations of modern possession football with van Gaal and Heynckes, culminating in Pep).

I think a lot of that had to do with Rummenigge (wanted Ancelotti, even if it was a clear departure from previous styles) and Hoeneß who more went with his instincts and for names (rejected Klopp for Klinsmann, stalled the Tuchel signing to go for Heynckes part 3 or Kovac).
    The same with transfers, where we often went for cheap German guys that didn't fit the team's philosophy and were sold quickly.

Under Salihamidzic there seems to be a much more coherent philosophy for transfers and the coaching search.
    You can see him and the restructured scouting team going for modern and technically skilled players for our main&youth teams who fit for a dynamic, quick offense with 1on1 capable wingers.

Signing Nagelsmann (especially for a high fee) instead of going for another generic former player or big international guy like Allegri is a sign of this evolvement and gives me high hopes for a more consistent future.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Brazzo has no plan. His signings are awful. He got lucky with Davies.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure Allegri is a big international, he did alright with Juve once but has vanished.

Semi big eh.

I think Pochettino is in that range as well but younger, can speak better English.

Both had teams with outstanding players.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Which signings were awful?
    He signed good guys in past years and last summer had to go for 3rd tier options after receiving little budget from the front office. so I don't think you can blame ones like Sarr and Costa on him.

Signings like Musiala, Gnabry, Davies, Nianzou, Hernandez (altho too expensive), Goretzka were great imo, also improved our youth teams a lot.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Germany always trying to fight the world.