1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is the signifigance of +/-?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BoyhoodDream, Dec 19, 2007.

1. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

Would someone ming explaining to me how they figure the new +/- column on yahoo sports? I just don't get it. I'm looking at the Clipper/Raptors game and Richie Frahm had 13 points 5 rebounds 1 ass 1 stl and 1 TO but got a -10 in 32 minutes. Then Jason Kapono on the other hand scored 2 points and had 4 rebounds in 18 minutes and got a +10.

I also find most of the Rockets players when they play to be in the negative. For example the Dallas game. The +/- there is just rediculous. Yao had a good game and ended up with a -12.

Maybe I'm missing something? Anybody care to explain, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

As far as I know all it means is how your team did on the scoreboard while you were out on the floor.

It can be misleading from game to game...Richie Frahm might have put up decent numbers but his team didn't get back on defense, so the team as a whole was coincidentally worse when he was on the floor.

Over the course of a season though, I think it can be a good stat to utilize.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

It is a team stat that is displayed after each individual's name somehow.

It is a stupid way to just fill in a column.

We should ignore anyone or any argument that puts up +/- stat because it is meaningless.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

+/- for one game isn't really that meaningful (like any statistic for one game). However, over an extended period of time, it is an excellent measure.

6. RoxD

RoxD Member

Not the same thing.

Lenovo looks at "the point differential when players are both in and out of the game," while this +/- indicates the point differential between the points scored for and against your team when you are on court.

It is a good measure of the performance of the players.

If you know the NHL games, you will be know this indicator well.

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

without "+" or "-" you can't do simple things like add or subtract. Yao's +/- is usually high because, well you figure it out.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

You're mistaken. Yahoo uses gets its box score details from the same source as NBA.com. The +/- used on NBA.com is the Lenovo stat.

What you're describing is the +/- from Popcornmachine.net

9. RoxD

RoxD Member

I do not know who copies who or even they are different or same. But from the webpage you provided, I do know that lenovo +/- includes something when the player "both in and out of the game", and the yahoo +/- measures the player's performance "in the game" only, nothing to do with "out of the game". They are NOT the same by definition, right? They are the same only when the team performance bears no effect on the +/- result when the specific player is NOT on court.

Well, something must have gone wrong here. :D

Note: As I understand it, "in the game" means "on court", and "out of the game" means "not on court"

10. RoxD

RoxD Member

I followed your link to go to popcornmachine.net, and compared the +/- with Yahoo on the Lakers/Bulls game played yesterday, and found they are the same. That means Yahoo +/- and popcornmachine.net +/- use the same calculation method, which is exactly what I mentioned. Here are the links to game boxscore on Yahoo and on popcornmachine.net:
    http://www.popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?date=20071218&game=LALCHI
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AkP6rZJo.QkJ9SZRCSS7Jve8vLYF?gid=2007121804

I have not found the lenovo +/- for that game, and do not know about the details.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

it works best for NHL/Hockey.

12. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

isn't that One Team's scoring - Opponent's Scoring when a specific player is on the floor?

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, how your team plays with you on the court is irrelevant. Coaches shouldn't pay any attention to that stuff. :rolleyes:

14. Omer

Omer Member

Example: If someone comes of the bench and the team has a 10 point lead that goes down to a 5 point lead, their +/- will be -5 for those minutes played.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I remember Jaromir Jagr having one of the worse +/-.

16. Ashes

Ashes Member

+/- is trash.