1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Brad Stevens overrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by francis 4 prez, Sep 27, 2020.

?

Brad Stevens is...

1. Significantly overrated

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Slightly overrated

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Properly rated

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  4. Slightly underrated

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Significantly underrated

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

stevens is treated like a wunderkind in the nba. but the celtics have never really overperformed in a playoff run as far as i can tell. he got swept by cleveland the first time, which was understandable, but the 4-2 loss to atlanta the next year was considered a bad showing. their best overall accomplishment was probably the conference finals with kyrie hurt, but they were still the 2 seed that year and the east is the east so it wasn't crazy. the year before they were about to lose to the 8th seed until rondo got hurt and then got dominated in the ECF. last year was pretty bad, though it was blamed on kyrie. this year wasn't bad because miami is a team of destiny right now, but losing to them isn't an amazing achievement either.

2. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Absolutely. He's been coaching in the (L)eastern Conference all these years and still no finals appearances. At least he had a built in excuse that Lebron was in his way, but whats the excuse the last 2 years?

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Sometimes there's a bit of over emphasis on the impact of coaching. Sure it's important, but at the end of day it's the players who have to play the game. The best strategies in the world won't mean much if players can't execute.

They are in the ECF, didn't necessary flame out like 76ers or the Bucks.

NBA being what it is, coach are the one of the firsts to get blame after losing. Job security wise Stevens is still safe.

---
    It like school. A student having good teachers definitely helps. But in the end, it's mostly on the student to put in the work to study, memorize, learn and do well on the exams.

#3 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Jontro, plutoblue11 and blahblehblah like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

yes, although he’s still in the upper echelon of coaches

My question is this tho, if MDA is always getting killed for not getting over the hump, when will that same energy be given to Brad Stevens? MDA’s at least been in the West losing to the Spurs, Warriors, and Lakers.

his playoff record is just 37-36 in the East

Invisible Fan and plutoblue11 like this.
  5. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

He seems like he over coaches. Sometimes you just gotta let your best players do their thing and make the decision. Prime example was bringing in Tacko Fall for the inbounds play by the Raps.. next thing you know he's not even standing in the line of sight of the inbounder...

plutoblue11 likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I would say properly rated. People acknowledge him as a good coach but they are more on Nurse and Spoelstra jock nowadays. People aren't all over Steven like they were a few years ago.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be fair to Stevens, MDA has had Harden, CP3 and Westbrook. That's 2 MVPs, a point guard that can be talked about as one of the best PGs ever, an all-time best offensive player ever, a walking triple-double, etc. Boston, despite having young stars like Tatum and Brown, don't have that same personnel.

Stevens became Celtics HC in 2013. Boston's rosters from 2013-2016 were not good at all; it wasn't until the C's drafted Brown in 2016 and then Tatum, that the Celtics became "good."

Honestly, I wouldn't blame Boston for moving on from Stevens - not that he's a bad coach, per se, but maybe both parties need a change of scenery.

If I was Ainge, though, I'd give Stevens 1 or 2 more years. Tatum and Brown can develop into super-duper stars and with Kemba and Hayward there, that's a solid foundation. Next year though, it's finals or bust.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Doc Rivers is the definition of overrated. As is Ty Lue.

Spoelstra is who is underrated.

HardenVolumeOne and saleem like this.
  9. lionaire

lionaire Member

Feel like his teams have overachieved almost every season except last years Kyrie-led team which actually had championship expectations. With a young duo of Tatum and Brown for the next 5-6 years, I fully expect them to make a championship run at some point in that span and anything less should be considered a failure. Maybe that's just me being super high on Tatum I guess.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Who is their best healthy player and how well do the celtics do? Stevens is a net positive coach and could win a championship if he had the best player on the court. He's better MDA, and I would grab him to coach the Rockets in a heart beat.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, he does need a Lebron type of leader, a veteran superstar who won it all.

A bunch of mere green behind ears Allstars ain't doing it.

You need a star that is above 6'8.

Only the historic team(s) can run a miniature ball system.

Secretly the Miami Heat are the home team of the bubble all along and not the Magic.

FloRida rep.

#11 daywalker02, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I said slightly underrated. Celtics are a solidly constructed team but there's no real star. Tatum hasn't reached that level yet, if he even does.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh yes, he is slightly overrated. However, if I were the Rockets and he was on the market I would win a bidding war to get him. His best attributes are not what are obvious on the sideline. He is very good at player development, establishing a culture and getting his players to play hard. He also is very good at defining roles for players... he works really well with the front office and basketball comes first for him. He also does a good job making adjustments in the off season.... he isn't great at making adjustments in game, but he isn't bad at it either.

He isn't a tactician like Carlisle or Spostra or Popovich..... but he is good enough.

Remember his two best players are 22 and 23 years old. He can lean on Kemba Walker and Marcus Smart as vets but they haven't really won anything themselves and they have limitations.

They played three really close games against the Heat and were 1-2, so it isn't like they completely crumbled... and the Heat have been on fire in the playoffs.

saleem, pippendagimp and plutoblue11 like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

On paper . .. the Celts were more talented than the heat
    I was disappointed that Kemba seems to have stepped back . .. I thought he was the next Harden
    Hayward is oft injured. . but looks mediocre as hell

I think Brown is solid and consistent .. . maybe moreso than Tatum

Coach Brad did not coach them up at all . . ..

Rocket River

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

His days in Boston are numbered. Eventually Tatum and Brown are going to either tune him out or realize they need another coach that can take them to the next level. Jordan needed to move on from Collins. Steph/Klay/Draymond needed to move on from Mark Jackson. The Spurs needed to move on from Bob Hill.

Invisible Fan and plutoblue11 like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Slightly overrated/Properly rated

Gregg Popovich
    Erik Spoelstra
    Rick Carlisle
    Nick Nurse
    Steve Kerr
    Brad Stevens
    Frank Vogel
    Quin Snyder
    Mike Budenholzer
    Mike Malone
    Glenn Rivers
    Terry Stotts
    Dwane Casey
    Monty Williams
    Billy Donovan
    Tom Thibodeau
    Steve Clifford
    Scott Brooks
    Taylor Jenkins
    James Borrego
    Lloyd Pierce
    Ryan Saunders
    Luke Walton
    JB Bickerstaff

Sixers: Vacant
    Pacers: Vacant
    Pelicans: Vacant
    Rockets: Vacant
    Thunder: Vacant
    Nets: Steve Nash

#16 J.R., Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What's funny/ironic is that the perfect coach for this Boston team would be the guy manning the fort for the team that almost took the Celtics out in the last round with less talent on his roster.

18. Major

Major Member

MDA is where he is in part because of the length of time - I think he has more wins than any other coach in history who hasn't made the finals. Also, MDA is in high demand for all the major openings out there, so I'm not sure that many people are down on him.

The other issue MDA suffers from is the whole team's arrogance, largely stemming from Morey. The Rockets team talks a lot about how awesome they are - having the best player ever, being smarter than everyone else (why be stupid like everyone else and take midrange shots?), etc. When they don't live up to it, they will take heat. You don't hear that kind of stuff coming out of other teams, so they don't make themselves targets.

saleem and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Nick Nurse would be the perfect coach for just about every team in the league.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member