1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people donate to their Universities?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 9, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I mean I know big money folks get buildings named after them, but why is it such a big deal to donate money to your old college?

Didn't we all PAY to attend or most of us, why exactly should we give them more money, certainly it is not lowering tuition - seems like a scam to me.

DD

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I ignore all those 512 calls also

3. opticon

opticon Member

This is just a guess on my part. Some may give to college football programs to feel per of the team. Some may give so the school can take part in more cutting edge research. Some may give so that it is easier for there kids to get accepted to the college.

Some may give so that there school is thought to have a high standing so make there degree more Worth while.

Again these are just guess on my part. I have never dontated to a college and don't plan to.

4. Buck Turgidson

The only thing out of whack is the level of donations to academics/athletics.

There was a great study done a few years ago that said if you have money to donate do not donate it to schools with a massive endowment (Rice/Harvard/Yale/Stanford/Princeton/whoever), your charity dollars are exponentially better spent elsewhere.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

DD you're spot on. That money would be much better served by donating to just causes that help the unfortunate who really need the help.

6. jsingles

jsingles Member

Master's from SHSU, I don't get calls but I get a ton emails asking for donations. I already gave you guys thousands of dollars, calm down.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I find it annoying when super wealthy people donate to schools that already have a huge endowment. I commend those that donate to the schools that don't have much.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is like buying a Ferrari and cruising around town so everybody stares at you but the effect lasts long after you are dead.

Conspicuous largess to show everybody how important you are. Its an ego stroking exercise.

And its sort of like charity, but you don't have to associate with those disgusting smelly poor people.

9. Asian Sensation

Same reason you give money to Burger King. It makes them feel good.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For sports ticket priority. I had final four tickets 3 separate years but we lost in the elite 8.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Cuz they cray.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Sense of pride. Athletics tickets priority (some schools require a large donation just to get season tickets). Alumni perks.

I've given maybe $300 over the last 10 years. Don't really like giving to the general fund, and the cost/benefit of being in the alumni association or athletic foundation has become too much for me.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I paid for lifetime alumni association memberships for my wife and I. Don't really know why. Like $500 I think. We each got a shirt and a pen.

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

There are times when I'm proud to be a longhorn, but it's criminal how much that school stole from its students and didn't put it back into the student body. My second year is when UT signed the deal with ESPN; the next year, so many language courses were cancelled, gym hours reduced, food and housing prices soared.

I should've stayed in Houston

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

When you're a big time contributor it helps build connections and gives you networking due to common school name. I don't think anybody does it for philanthropic reasons.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I donate to the scholarship fund that I was a beneficiary of.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They repeatedly emphasize that money for the athletics program both donated and raised from endorsement deals and such cannot be appropriated for academic expenses or whatnot.

Don't know how true that is but everytime someone at UT complains, that is the boilerplate that is spewed out.

18. Buck Turgidson

This is true. It's why it disgusts me when I see multi-million dollar donations to athletic programs.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Some very successful people look back and see that their college days had a profound effect on their life.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great spread the word, and set up a scholarship fund for others to enjoy it..

DD