1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy chillin' with the Franchise.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnutts, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Hmmmm....I guess there's something about to happen and JVG wanted to talk with it to Franchise first...What do ya think guys?

2. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

That was Smith, not Rudy.

-G'day-

3. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

seriously? I dont remember much about it.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Nope, it was Rudy.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You might be right, but by that time, maybe the players had tuned him out (to a degree)....the, "ah, he yells sometimes but he doesn't stay mad" sort of attitude that sees you go out and pretty much continue the same behavior that caused the "explosion".

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So sayeth the prophet.

Could be. Either he wanted to finally meet Steve face-to-face, and/or, as you imply, there could be a "I-need-you-on-board-if-we-trade-Cat-for-sa-and-so-player."

7. Miggidy Markell

What I don't understand is, how can he use Barkley as an example of "subpar" play? The guy was how old grabbing double digit rebounds and averaging around 17-18ppg? He wasn't going to average many more then that playing with 2 other superstars in the line-up throughout his Rocket career. He was a tear in the play-offs every year... the only thing was his defense and your not going to teach Charles how to do this in his late 30's.....

This guy is obviously a loser....

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I was talking about in public, as I'm sure the writer was as well. I'm sure Rudy yelled at the team all the time. It's what coaches do.

9. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy sometimes after half time said that he was in the locker room during the break and that Rudy was really chewing some of the players out. That was season before last though, I don't think he ever said it this last year. Maybe he had lost his fire or decided that he was going to get rid of some of these players during the off season and it was not worth the effort to yell at them any more.

Can we hire Kevin Willis for E Griffins conditioning trainer? I think his contract is up and now that he has a ring he may be ready to retire from playing. Kevin and Carla Malone were always in good shape at the start of the season.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's not using Barkley as an example of subpar play, he's using Barkley as an example of a player who is given a lot of leeway from Rudy.

The difference of course, is that Chuck was a hall of famer and deserved it, and mobley is not and does not.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, he doesn't publically criticize players. But, I always thought that was a good thing.

Wasn't there a thread last week about someone who saw VG in DC and he said he was there to talk to a player? And some people gave him (the poster) some crap about it? Here's your collaboration (too bad it is the NY Daily News :p ).

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm not saying it's not a good thing JV. Hope you didn't think I was.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, you were taking a dig at the writer and so was I. He didn't criticize Mobley publically, nor anyone else as you pointed out. But, the writer says it like it is a bad thing when that is really one of the things that made Rudy great.

14. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

JVG - riding high on the boondoggle express

15. silentfan

silentfan Member

In case someone hasn't cleared this up...

It was LARRY SMITH who chewed the guys out when Yao said the coach was using harsh language at everyone. I believe it was after the loss to the sonics near the end of the season.