1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Rockets hope to trade future draft assets for ‘foundation piece’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 18, 2021.

1. riko

riko Member

I doubt the Wizards would trade Beal for anything the Rockets have to offer to begin with.

saleem and apollo33 like this.
  2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

why do people want john collins? that's a good way to make sure we aren't competitive anytime soon.

imagine paying 60 million a year to watch collins and wall ball.

tycoonchip and saleem like this.
  3. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum

Celtics look awful right now and I'm sensing locker room issues

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. txn

txn Member

The real "foundation piece" in this era has been:

[​IMG]

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Best post in this thread. Should be stickied as the State of the Rockets 2020/2021.

Second best post in this thread IMO.

RustyHarden likes this.
  6. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Lots of loud noises. Thankfully. @Kingsman dropped the mic.

This forum used to be a place to read about how awesome we are. Now. I'ts a bunch of monkeys flinging poop.

CVcrew and sydmill like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

I mean sure.... if we can trade for another Harden type player we should..... But we ain't the only one looking for a Harden.

I imagine we will be very "predatory" but I'd be surprised if we got someone this year or next. Rockets should be on the lookout..... but still operating as if this will be a multiyear rebuild.

8. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

We the fans. Don't know who the next "Hatden" is...
    Stone got KPJ for a Coke machine and an assorted pack of doritos. Just believe

Shark44 likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Trader Dan DOES have a penchant for getting a bunch of picks.....

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am willing to give Stone/Fertitta the benefit of the doubt but, if true, this is pretty disheartening that they would be so short sided. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the Rockets are sitting pretty to be a force in just a few short seasons. Their focus should be on developing Wood/KPJ and acquiring draft picks to add to their stash. Acquiring a marginal player not only diminishes the chance the Rockets keep their most valuable asset (a potential top pick in a top heavy draft) but also depletes their stash of other picks they might use to round out the roster on a budget.

Losing sucks and, i am sure, has impacted the perceived value of the franchise. But once Covid is under control and fans are back and focusing on sports and not everything else going on, people and advertisers are going to like an up and coming, exciting, young team. Forgoing that because youre tired of putting in the work (losing) to get their is such a waste this far along. Given how most deals fall apart I am hoping that in a week's time the Rockets are still on track.

1 - KPJ
    2 - James Bouknight (acquired via trade up using Port, Mil FRP and the pick acquired in Dipo trade)
    3 - Jonathan Kuminga (drafted #3 overall)
    4 - John Collins or Aaron Gordan (acquired in offseason via trade)
    5 - Wood

Something like that is pretty easy to see coming to pass. Such a team is young and exciting to watch and still has means to get better as the Rockets will have 2 more FRPs in 2022 as well as salary cap space to fit a max player shortly thereafter.

#130 sydmill, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Corpusfan likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Yea..... and we will be lucky if KPJ is the next Lavert or whatever young gun scorer.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. No, John Wall for Herro + Expirings is not possible. John Wall + 3 first round draft picks for expirings alone is possible. And we aren't doing that. Wall is here to stay. It blows my mind you think he has any positive value at all. I believe we'll be buying him out in his last season with us ala Blake Griffin.

2. I DO NOT have to admit that would be a top 3 seed team next season. I think that team would win somewhere in the 20-30 game range. Cade appears to be solid defensively but none of those other guys really are. They would be young, inexperienced, and likely one of the worst defensive teams in the league. However, it would be fun as hell to watch that team and we'd have enough developing talent we Rocket fans would have hope for the future. I could certainly live with that. But we'd have to find another way to get somebody like Herro because John Wall ain't doing it. Oladipo would be more likely but still unlikely.

sydmill likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's fine with me, since he's not a generational talent unlike Harden. Beal doesn't want to be around Wall. There's no need spending dough on him.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

I am amazed at the lack of faith in Stone. In just the last 4 months, he’s amassed 8 first round picks and 4 swaps, plus KPJ, Tate, Wood and KMJ.

What did you expect him to do??

Have some faith in your front office. Tillman has been quiet for awhile now. In his most recent interview he said he’s letting the front office make the decisions...that’s a world of difference from “they got cold feet”. Be patient. Stone has yet to make a misstep, and I doubt that will start this week.

As far as what I hope he does...I am not in the defense 1st camp. We are too early in the cycle to be focused on filling holes. High upside potential stars that are under team control for multiple years is what I want, even if they are a little tarnished. So if we end up doing Oladipo and a 1st for Herro, I’m in.

joshuaao and bballjunkie like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think he’s worth signing as a free agent in 2022, but not giving up assets for and then paying him insane money a year later.

I wonder if folks realize that Herro and Gordon also only have 1 more yr on their deal. I say, why rush the rebuild? We aren’t going anywhere next year. We shouldnt be giving up assets fir players, we should be collecting assets to build through the draft and hoarding assets to make big offers for true max free agents like Lavine in 2022 or 2023. Trading assets to get incrementally better only to have to turn around and overpay these guys to keep them makes no sense. We need long term deal; rookie scale contracts.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ass-et.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don't think Wiseman will ever be very good. I would rather hang onto Wood and re-sign him later. Without the Min pick their is no reason to take on Wiggins contract.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Too bad Aaron is one tier below a foundational piece.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

From a player asset perspective there's NO ONE on this roster that Riley would trade Herro straight up for, including Porter and Wood. Is that because of a huge talent gap? Nope, it's because Riley knows how to play hardball.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Beal with this team would be dynamic.