1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] MORTAL KOMBAT! (Reboot)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The Mortal Kombat Movie May Have Found Its Liu Kang

[​IMG]

Mortal Kombat is one of the most popular video game series of all-time and it previously spawned what many would say is one of the better film adaptations of a game ever made. However, that was over 20 years ago, and so it was no surprise when a reboot film was announced, and it may have just found its first star. Ludi Lin is reportedly in talks to take on the role of Liu Kang.

Ludi Lin played the small role of Captain Murk in James Wan's Aquaman. Wan is producing the new Mortal Kombat movie. However, recently Lin also played the almost too perfect role of Lance in the Black Mirror episode "Striking Vipers." Lance was a video game avatar inside a game which was clearly inspired by Mortal Kombat and other tournament fighter style games. It seems Ludi Lin was actually auditioning for Mortal Kombat with the role and didn't even realize it.

Variety reports than Ludi Lin is in negotiations to play the role of Liu Kang, a Bruce Lee-inspired martial arts fighter who enters the Mortal Kombat tournament in hopes of saving the earth from an evil sorcerer named Shang Tsung.

Liu Kang is the hero of the original Mortal Kombat movie and is canonically the winner of the tournament of the first Mortal Kombat game as well. Having said that, the exact plot of the new movie is unknown, and considering how many characters have been added over the years and how many different games there have been, it's anybody's guess how important Liu Kang will be to this movie.

With Liu Kang apparently close to being cast, and the role of Sub Zero having already been set, it seems likely that other major Mortal Kombat names will find actors in short order. Characters like Johnny Cage and Sonja Blade, would be conspicuous by their absence if they somehow weren't in the movie, so that seems unlikely. Writer Greg Russo has spoken about the difficulty of figuring out which characters to include in the new movie. There are so many different options available, and too many to include everybody, it seems likely that some fans' favorite characters are destined to be left out.

The only thing we do know for sure is that the movie will feature the game series' famous Fatalities, the brutal and violent finishing moves, and that they will come straight out of the game.

The new Mortal Kombat movie currently has a release date set for March 5, 2021, which means it will likely begin filming sometime at the end of this year or early 2020.

Considering how popular the first Mortal Kombat movie still is with many fans, there are probably a lot of people anticipating this updated version. Hopefully, the new movie will have a killer soundtrack as well.

clutch citizen and B-Bob like this.
  2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I think the picture is hilarious

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

nice, getting that r rating for gore is the only way to make a mortal kombat movie. but liu kang is the least interesting character for me. they should have subzero or scorpion be the protagonist. lie kang, sonya, cage should just be a supporting character. tom cruise should play raiden.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sure, many Hollywood movies have an evil demon as the protagonist. Maybe it could be a Scorpion-Baraka buddy cop comedy.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

scorpion being the smart mouth, sarcastic cop, played by tom cruise would be gold. sean penn should do baraka as the tense, no nonsense cop.

BigM, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

MKCU here we come! :rolleyes:

7. conquistador#11

[​IMG]

Reptile was always the most interesting character to me back in the day.

8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Who cares who plays who? Just show me the fatalities.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Raiden is the OG
    Who cares about Lu Kang

Jontro likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that Ken/Ryu players always gravitated to Raiden.

tinman likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GET OVER HERE!!!

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even the raiden dude in big trouble in little China was cool

durvasa likes this.
  13. Xerobull

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not Subzero? His ice-ball thing was essentially the same buttons as the Haduken, wasn't it?

15. Xerobull

Agree, it was the same motion. Not sure where the Ryu/Ken connection to Raiden was there, but that was my experience with people I played both games with.

16. Beezy

Beezy Member

Mortal Kombat was a part of my childhood. Played Mortal Kombat on the Genesis. Walked to the gas station with a friend to play Mortal Kombat 2. Watched the original movie in the theater. When we could drive we went to Super Tracks to play Mortal Kombat 3.

Looking forward to watching this.

#16 Beezy, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    mikol13, Mathloom, Xerobull and 3 others like this.
  17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

No Johnny Cage seems like a weird choice.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

No white man allowed.

I mean I hope that was a joke.

Jontro likes this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

played mk3 on supernintendo. couldn’t get passed the 3rd opponent. that shiz crazy hard. tom cruise and keanu need to be in this bih

Xerobull likes this.
  20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Opening sequence has been released for anyone who's interested.....