1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Missouri Enact 72 Wait Period for Abortions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 11, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With no exception for rape or incest.

http://news.msn.com/us/missouri-lawmakers-enact-72-hour-abortion-wait

Missouri lawmakers enact 72-hour abortion wait

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Missouri lawmakers enacted one of the nation's most stringent abortion waiting periods Wednesday, overriding a veto of legislation that will require women to wait 72 hours after consulting with a doctor before ending a pregnancy.

The vote by Missouri's Republican-led Legislature overrules the veto of Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon, who had denounced the measure as "extreme and disrespectful" toward women because it contains no exception for cases of rape or incest.

About half of the states, including Missouri, already have abortion waiting periods of 24 hours.

Missouri's new law will be the second most-stringent behind South Dakota, where its 72-hour wait can sometimes extend even longer because weekends and holidays are not counted. Utah is the only other state with a 72-hour delay, but it grants exceptions for rape, incest and other circumstances.

Missouri lawmakers specifically rejected an amendment earlier this year that would have granted exceptions for rape and incest. Abortion opponents argued that it would have diminished the value of some lives depending on how they were conceived. Supporters of the legislation describe it as a "reflection period" for women and their families.

If "you get a couple of more days to think about this pregnancy, think about where it's going, you may change your mind" about having an abortion, said Rep. Kathie Conway, a Republican from St. Charles.

Abortion-rights advocates described the three-day wait as insulting to women who they said have likely already done "soul-searching" before going to an abortion clinic.

"It's designed to demean and shame a woman in an effort to change her mind," said Rep. Judy Morgan, a Democrat from Kansas City.

The House voted to override Nixon's veto by a 117-44 vote. Senators then deployed a rarely used procedural move to shut off a Democratic filibuster and completed the veto override by a 23-7 vote — barely getting the required two-thirds majority.

Missouri's new waiting period law will take effect 30 days after the veto-override vote.

Planned Parenthood, which operates Missouri's only licensed abortion clinic in St. Louis, has not said whether it will challenge the 72-hour waiting period court. But the organization has said its patients travel an average of nearly 100 miles for an abortion, and an extra delay could force them to either make two trips or spend additional money on hotels.

Women also could travel across the state line in the St. Louis and Kansas City areas to abortion clinics in Illinois and Kansas that don't require as long of a wait.

Missouri's current waiting period also lacks an exception for rape or incest. It requires physicians to provide women information about medical risks and alternatives to abortion and offer them an opportunity for an ultrasound of the fetus.

Before lawmakers convened, scores of abortion opponents gathered for a prayer vigil in the Capitol Rotunda, asking that God grant courage and boldness to lawmakers voting to enact the waiting period.

Later in the day, larger crowds gathered for rallies both in support and opposition of the legislation. Abortion-rights activists wore purple shirts while abortion foes wore red. Both sides pointed to the personal experiences of women who had abortions.

Linda Raymond, of St. Louis, said she regrets the abortion she had 38 years ago and might have acted differently if she had been offered information about alternatives, seen an ultrasound of the fetus and been required to take more time to think about her decision.

"A 72-hour time frame is compassionate for women," Raymond said.

Liz Read-Katz, of Columbia, said she had an abortion after learning the fetus had a severe chromosomal defect.

"Waiting 72 hours wouldn't have changed my mind, but it most definitely would have caused more pain both mentally and physically," she said.

Missouri has a history of enacting abortion restrictions. Republican and Democratic lawmakers twice previously joined together to override vetoes of abortion bills — enacting what proponents referred to as a partial-birth abortion ban in 1999 and instituting the 24-hour abortion waiting period in 2003.

Three Missouri clinics have stopped offering abortions in the past decade, and the number performed in the state has declined by one-third to a little over 5,400 last year.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . now to get as many days to wait to get a gun . . .everywhere

Rocket River

3. g1184

g1184 Member

I wonder if you can avoid the abortion waiting period if you buy your abortion from an abortion fair ...

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No waiting period if you get your abortion in a back alley. Nice job Missouri.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

And the purpose is exactly the same. Put as much red tape between a person and their right as you can because you cannot ban it legally.

Completely pathetic.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have no problem with either.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Someone who has decided to do either has thought about it for more than 3 days. This is just to make them go twice and make it harder. As it says in the article

No one is walking around in a mall and decides to impulse buy an abortion (or a gun). You might reduce abortions but I could also reduce them by making the patient fill out 100 pages of paperwork or raising the price.

8. Nook

Nook Member

With all the social and economic issues in Missouri, restricting abortion further is low on the totem pole of priorities. The same assholes that wanted this law will be complaining about welfare benefits in a few years.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The only exception is if it has its hands up.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is where I disagree. Yes, if someone is deranged enough to go on a shooting spree, they will find a way to do it, regardless of what restrictions you place. That in itself is where I find the assault weapons ban ignorant. You're past gun control at this point. Its a matter of a mental health issue.

I am all for keeping guns out of the hands of people who do not know how to use them or really need/want them. Less guns on the street is always better. If someone wants to own a gun, they have a right to have them. I want a gun. I personally have one. However, if a 3 day waiting period keeps a hot headed person from making a serious mistake, or even more importantly, keeps an inexperience/negligent person from making an impulse buy, I find that even better.

I fully understand that you feel you should have the right to go buy any deadly weapon in a drive through, even if it means millions weapons will be left in the wrong hands, specifically children and irresponsible gun owners. I however, am perfectly fine with waiting 3 days. I dont need a gun quicker than that. The free-for-all gun mentality is what will eventually lead us to weapon registration.

I am pro-life. However, if a person disgusting enough to use abortion as a means of birth control, then I feel the baby is better off not born. 3 days is a great way to punish someone for using it as birth control.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This won't stand up in court. No way, in my humble opinion. It would be nice if sexist, backwoods legislators would find something better to do than treat the women of America as second class citizens.

12. Major

Major Member

There are 26 states with waiting periods, including 3 with 72-hour ones. What makes this different that it wouldn't survive in the courts?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My bad. I forgot which party appointed judges for 8 years, and how many Obama choices are still waiting for confirmation. It doesn't change my opinion of those legislators in the slightest.

14. SexyButIgnorant

Murderers. The lot of you.