1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Conspiracy Alert?] Lakers/LeBron Used KCP to Circumvent Tampering Rules?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rantsolpuella13, Jul 2, 2018.

1. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

So I’m listening to SiriusXM NBA Radio today and Jared Greenberg (of TNT/NBATV/Turner fame) has theorized on his show that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope was used as a plant for Klutch Sports/LeBron and the Lakers to circumvent the NBA tampering rules. Since he was a player signed for the Lakers he had the ability to scope out the team and give well placed “hints” to the Lakers and Kutch Sports as a middle man for both groups/organizations in the last year.

This would also allow LeBron to tip the Lakers to accept that trade from the Cavs for the pick and Isaiah Thomas (whom they just renounced) that essentially helped with LeBron going to the Lakers this summer.

This most likely was used to leverage Sixers/Rockets to assume they had a chance the entire spring until a few days ago that they could get LeBron, but the whole time they were just being played for a fool.

Does anyone think this theory/hypothesis has legs? If this is true the Lakers were playing the entire league like a fiddle for basically a year.

Edit: forgot to mention that KCP is a client of Klutch Sports, which would allow him to be that close to them/serve as a proxy.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why would the Lakers need to have Lebron tell them that was a good Cap-clearing trade?

I don't understand what tips the Lakers got. Their whole goal was to clear space to get PG and LBJ. Cap clearing is one of the easiest things to do. Hell, even Magic can do it.

Then James signed right away. This wasn't that hard, and doesn't require taking a risk with elaborate tampering.

adoo, King1 and B-Bob like this.
  3. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

There is a 100 percent chance of tampering and teams trying to get over. It’s been going on and will always go on.

Just like speeding. Everyone does it but if you get caught, it’s on you.

The best conspiracy with no evidence I heard was on Simmons podcast with Joe House when he said that what if Silver told the Lakers they could not sign PG13 as punishment for 13 months of tampering. I want that to be true.

4. underrated015

underrated015 Member

F Lebron and the Lakers

King1, R0ckets03 and TheRealAllpro like this.
  5. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

No because do you really need highly visible third parties involved when folks could just have burner accounts or encrypted messaging accounts to send these messages?

6. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

I probably should have said this first but I’m in your camp for the most part as well but there are some additional factors.

1) The Lakers have not been able to dig themselves out of being a bad team for longer then the team probably expected, making them desperate.
    2) Magic has been caught tampering with Paul George two times already.
    3)This tweet made by Sam Amick yesterday:

I put conspiracy alert as the title because it does suggest something very elaborate. I’m not a believer of it either but for the Lakers to sign KCP so quickly after the free agency window opened is very interesting.