1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ballpark Village next to Minute Maid Park

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tigereye, Feb 8, 2021.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

A few years ago, Jim Crane bought the land Home Plate BBQ site on, with the intent of building a ballpark village mixed use development.

On January 6th, Home Plate BBQ quietly closed its doors and auctioned off its equipment. Since then, the entire site has been fenced in. The SP 982 steam engine is slated to be moved this week. The Cohn house will be moved temporarily next to 59 and MMP.

While the Astros haven’t publicly said anything, today demolition of Home Plate BBQ began. Considering the timing, I predict the Astros will announce their ballpark village plans during Astros Fan Fest.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Crane, that cheap MFer

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Increased revenue and pre/postgame fan experience, which was really lacking.

4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I’m all for this. This would be a really great addition to the experience of going to a ballgame at MMP.

Houstunna, King1 and Nook like this.
  5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I’m on board but it’s bittersweet. My second date with my wife started with Home Plate before an Astros game - first date was at the Russian Bear off Dairy Ashford.

VickMackey, SWTsig, The Beard and 3 others like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. MMP has still held up very well, despite being over 20 years old, and the new additions within the ballpark help keep it fresh... but there isn’t that much surrounding the ballpark, other than the Marriott (which is not a bad place to hang before/after).

Most teams now have something like this going on. Even Wrigleyville has seen the Cubs develop their own sponsored area.

7. conquistador#11

What would a ballpark village look like?
    And can we add a velvet taco.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hope the architecture / facade matches MMP/Union Station as opposed to trying to match and tie in to the Marriott. Regardless, this is really good news. I'm looking forward to hearing more of what they're planning.

msn, BigM, desihooper and 1 other person like this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

I have to say, since Crane took ownership him and his crew have a done a great job keeping MMP fresh. In this day and age where ballparks retire early, MMP and its vicinity gets stronger and better with age.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think there’s even more potential. Union Station was a novelty early with rooftop parties and a restaurant there, but now other than housing the team store and offices it really doesn’t contribute to the game day experience.

Still waiting for them to give the ok to have seating “carts” on the train and allow people to buy tickets and ride/watch the game from up there. Minus getting run over by the retractable roof, I’m sure they could build some sort of “platform extension” that allows fans to traverse that area but also look out over the green space on the outside of MMP.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With some of the bars shutting down in EaDo, having somewhere to go after games will be something to look forward to once the ballpark opens back up fully for fans.

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

BigM and MadMax like this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Kato Kaelin has moved into one of the bungalows next to Tillman Fertitta.

Kim and Nook like this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I climbed one of the trees outside of home plate after we won the WS. It was an amazing memory.

Nook and TWS1986 like this.
  15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

That is so Neat. I love to go take a drive and see that.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

good idea. couldve been cool to incorporate the blue house or especially the train somehow, but still a good idea

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

19. dmoneybangbang

^^^
    Sweet. As an out of towner, the Rockets and Astros have a great selection of hotels, airbnb, bars, and restaurants nearby. Seems like Covid really killed a lot of the momentum along Main St.

Houstunna and RasaqBoi like this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Land where home plate etc was at was sold for 17-18 mill.

they need this type of vibe around the stadium.