1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jewish Space Lasers.
    A cabal of Satan-worshipping cannibalistic pedophiles control the Deep State and a a global child sex-trafficking ring.
    Pizzagate.

Why in the world should Biden give two ***** about the Rs who live in a reality of their making? Biden can never the word "guns" and the Rs will still a fully fleshed out guns conspiracy theory. featuring ... Jewish Space lasers ... cannibalistic pedophiles ... George Soros ...

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Republicans aren't the only people susceptible to being afraid of the boogeyman. The fear of AR rifles is completely irrational also. There were 364 murders committed by all rifles including AR's in 2019 which is less than people killed by hammers and bats and less than a quarter of murders committed by knives. There are an estimated 10 million AR's in the US and only a couple of hundred of them a year actually used to commit crime.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195325/murder-victims-in-the-us-by-weapon-used/

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. No Worries

You want to have a rational political debate? That is so 1980 Rs. Get with the times.

4. rockbox

Even though I tend to vote democrat 80 percent of the time, I find the extreme sides of both parties equally as annoying though I do find more crazies voted into office as republicans. I just think the gun issue is a recipe for disaster. Why waste all of Biden's political capital on an issue he will never win.

5. No Worries

Do you think that the Senate Ds will allow any gun reform bill to come to the floor for a vote? Unlikely.

Do you think that the Rs will claim Biden wants to take all of their guns away? Very likely.

Do you think that Biden will ask Congress to consider gun reform legislation? Very likely.

What we are left with is empty political posturing, on both sides, with the noted difference that the Rs are also spouting completely bat **** conspiracy theories.

6. No Worries

Batshit crazy gotta batshit crazy.

In new poll, more Republicans blame Biden for Capitol riot than Trump

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No Worries likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This candidate defines maga...

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those Republicans aren’t voting for a Democrat regardless. The question is whether the minuscule number of moderate conservatives and independents are going to vote for a Republican Party - one that undermined an election, supported an insurrection, did everything it could to undermine efforts to contain the Covid pandemic, and dragged its feet on providing a stimulus package - just because they can’t buy an AK or AR on demand.

If that’s the case, then they shouldn’t call themselves moderates - they’re extremists.

10. rockbox

That answer is yes. There are plenty of moderates that feel strongly about guns and property that didn't vote for Trump but would gladly vote for a less extreme Republican. Democrats are all of the sudden taking the burbs for granted. The reason why the burbs flipped is because Trump specifically alienated women. The Biden win was a mandate specifically against Trump and not about a liberal agenda shown by the democrats actually losing seats in the House.

Astrodome likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those are not miniscule numbers.

12. subtomic

Supporting Member

I probably wasn't clear - I was speaking of moderate conservatives only, not independents, when using "miniscule."

But if the "suburbs" are fine with voting Republican again just because Trump is gone, then our country is lost. Trump didn't do his damage single-handedly - he had a ton of help from a Republican Congress, Republican state governments and Republican non-elected officials. So again, I ask anyone - would you really vote Republican to preserve the right to buy a gun on demand (because an extended waiting period and some additional background check mechanisms are the most that's going to happen)? Because if you are, you are the problem and deserve just as much scorn as the most rabid-Trumper.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The moderate Republican is still not a miniscule number.

I have no idea why some are hellbent on demonizing anything republican, you doing the same thing Trump did by othering a group of people.

We are talking about voters not politicians.

Astrodome likes this.
  14. subtomic

Supporting Member

And who’s responsible for those politicians? It’s the primary voters and the general election voters (which sadly on both sides, isn’t a 100% overlap). Im tired of people excusing voters who time and time again elect reactionary extremists just to get a tax break they don’t really need (and mostly won’t even get as the bulk of those cuts go to people much richer than them).

The only moderates are on the Democrat side these days and a few outliers like Romney and Murkowski (who are still pretty far right - they just aren’t looking to trash our democracy). By a dominant majority of its representatives and voters, the Republican Party today stands for white grievance - gun rights is just a symptom of their fear that someone is coming to get them.

And the difference between what I’m doing and what Trumpists are doing is that I’m basing my opinion based on what Republican voters have actually done (and the end results), while Trumpists base their opinions on who people are. So don’t try that false equivalency with me - it’s not even remotely close and it’s a bad faith argument.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

So who is responsible for being able to take back the house in 2018 and the wins in georgia by Biden and the senators?

It was moderate Republicans no democrats are not the only moderates just check the exit polls.

This is why we are where we are everybody wants to be tribal. SMH.

Astrodome likes this.
  16. subtomic

Supporting Member

It wasn’t just moderate Republicans - it was also (and mostly) due to larger turnout by by Democrat base voters.

We are where we are because of a slow boil of extremism and obstructionism encroaching into the Republican Party since the 1960s, mixed with a healthy dose of entrenched faith in thoroughly failed Republican economic policies. There is no equivalent on the Democrat side (though that’s not to say the Democrats are problem free - not even close). As their policies and leaders have failed, most Republicans have instead chosen to embrace the demonization of various groups rather than adjust to a changing world. Maybe they don’t hate minorities or women, maybe they don’t believe in the abandonment of all social welfare and maybe they don’t believe in the erosion of voting rights and democratic principles. Nevertheless they have voted consistently for those who are guilty of all of these things.

so that brings me back to my original point - do suburban voters value unrestricted accessibility to firearms more than rule of law and social welfare? Are they willing to vote for a party that both incited an insurrection and refused to hold the leader of that insurrection accountable just so they can buy an AR15 same day. If so, they can’t call themselves moderates because there is nothing moderate about a willingness to tolerate authoritarianism for such a banal reason.

No Worries likes this.
  17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I totally agree...

This GOP divorce is going to be ugly and will set the Republicans back years...

T_Man

18. No Worries

Trump made the Republican Party his b****. And now he is divorcing them?

Figures.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

adoo, Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.