1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zobrist starting at SS tonight for TB

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Aug 1, 2006.

1. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

this could be painful to watch.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

What the hell?? We leave in AA ball to rot away and in less than a month he's in the majors with the devil rays.

God they really ought to start moving people up the minors better.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes. Let's start emulating the Devil Rays.

4. ak47

ak47 Member

Isint B.J. Upton a SS or is he a 2B? I know he has had some issues but why isint he starting? I can believe Zobrist is starting

5. ak47

ak47 Member

I cant believe Zorbist is starting, I mean

6. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

upton also starting. playing third

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They told Upton the move to third was temporary. Add that to the fact that they were describing Zobrist as a 'super-utility' player when they traded for him and I don't think there is that much to it.

My bet would be that they just want to show their few fans that they actually got something for Huff, and that Zobrist will have some problems with major league pitching and will go to AAA soon.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

well, so far it looks like the Devil Rays got a steal in this trade. whatever the two minor prospects do for them from this point on can't be any worse than Huff's output so far.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

So you're saying that a team that often resembles a AAA team is starting Zobrist tonight? Who cares. Ignoring the fact that Huff's been on a cold streak since he got there, he was still a significant pickup by the Astros. Go ahead though and get your panties in a wad though over a minor leaguer starting for what might as well be a minor league team.

By the way, thanks for reading this in the game thread and deciding to start a new thread on it even though it was already being discussed. :rolleyes:

10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Until they traded Lugo IMO they had a decent team.

11. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

wow! talk about getting your panties in a bunch! sorry about not reading through an entire thread about a game that wasnt starting for 3 hours (and still hasnt started) to see if this was being talked about, before posting about something that had nothing to do with the game! LOL. did i ruin your day by starting this thread?

is your life really that sad and depressing?

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Zobrist 0-3 1 SO

Advantage Huff.

:)

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Now there's something I thought I would never hear.

14. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

First of all they had a solid lineup a couple months ago. They had some real offensive talent on that team and still do after the trades. Second of all this definately deserves its own thread. Who the hell are you to decide this only belongs in the game thread? Clearly it doesn't.

15. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

That's rediculously ignorant. Huff is a great utility player. Yes he is hitting .270 for us so far, but that's tons better than half of our team. This is the first chance that this guy has ever seen national league pitching, and yes he is going to struggle (it's part of baseball). No matter what zobrist does this season, we got the better end of the deal

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Actually, with the Astros he is only hitting .210 with a .329 OBP and .668 slugging.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, he's been pretty terrible for us. But if you look at the bats that were moved at the deadline, with his history, he was one of the best ones moved. Had we added Huff on Monday instead of three weeks ago, people would love the trade.

18. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

19. macalu

lol, i get your point. but extrapolate Huff's current numbers over the rest of the season and it's probably a wash. :)

yes, i'm expecting Huff to do alot better as teh season goes along.

20. macalu

i wouldn't necessarily say a .270, 1 HR, 4 RBIs (3/4 of which came in his first game with us) is tons better. besides, my post was a bit tongue in cheek. i expect Huff to hit alot better with every at bat. but right now we do have a significant enough sample size to say that he's sucked it up.