1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your tax dollars at work: DOJ will defend trump on rape charges

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Oct 20, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This is where we are as a country...

Justice Dept. Says Trump’s Denial of Rape Accusation Was an Official Act
    The writer E. Jean Carroll sued the president for defamation after he denied sexually assaulting her in the 1990s. Now the government wants to defend him.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/nyregion/jean-carroll-trump-rape-lawsuit.html

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Trump wins reelection we're going to see much more of stuff like this. In a second Trump term we might even see official immunity extended to people like Ivanka and Jared considering they also have legal issues.

Dubious and Nook like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sus

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So busy defending himself he can't get Barr to do something about the Biden crime family huh?

Tough scene.

ROCKSS, Dubious, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's such an offensive suggestion, I can't imagine a judge playing along. Even one appointed by Trump. But ironically, Judge Kaplan was appointed by President Clinton. Ironic to me because this move made me wonder if Clinton's DOJ -- if it had no scruples -- could have argued that Clinton acted in his official capacity when he perjured himself about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

Dubious likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think it is difficult. In this case with a supposedly extremely wealthy President, it is hard to stomach, but the reality is maybe the DOJ should represent the President in matters like these which could be totally baseless and perhaps filed purely because they are the President.

I'm kind of where I think the DOJ should represent him, but if found guilty the President should have to reimburse taxpayers for the defense.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

then Trumpeteers would start t a "go fund me" campaign

No Worries likes this.
  8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Kinda like the Build a Wall campaign. They are free to get scammed if they want to. Doesn't hurt my feelings.

Two Sandwiches and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  9. JuanValdez

Remember that (1) he wouldn't be found "guilty" in a civil case, but "liable," and (2) he wouldn't be found liable because the whole point of this gambit is to put him behind a liability shield that officials doing the state's business aren't personally liable for their actions. So, in this formulation, a president would never have to reimburse the taxpayer for falsely abusing his office because he would always win.

I think we're savvy enough to know money buys justice in this country. If you spend on lawyers, they can be clever enough to obfuscate your guilt or liability. Enlisting the DOJ is the ultimate lawyering-up power move. So, I'm not with you here. Sure, you can sue with baseless accusations to cause political damage. But voters will wise up to that scam eventually. Hell, Clinton won re-election despite his scandal. The DOJ is the government's lawyer and shouldn't be moonlighting for the guy called president. The GC of my company isn't going to help me when I get sued even if I'm making the company look bad, and neither should the AG be doing work for the government's officers.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its the reason they cant be charged with crimes in office. Its so they won't be harassed.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Charging someone with a crime isn't necessarily harassment.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But its the reason its there. Im not talking about Trump im talking about the reason since the post i responded to brought it up. Whether you think its harassment or not i dont care

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Militia justice would be coo

14. JuanValdez

When you charge someone with a crime, you can potentially put him in prison. You can physically prevent a president from serving by locking him in a cell. What's more, when you're convicted of a crime, we see fit to strip other rights, like the right to hold public office. That's not just a nuisance or harassment. It's a threat to one's liberty and a physical incapacitation of an officeholder elected by the people.

But these things don't happen with a civil suit. That's just about money. Even if he loses in grand fashion, he'll still have his liberty and his rights and he will still be free to serve as President. Taken to its logical extreme, you can do harassment at most. Though judges don't really look kindly on people trying to exploit their courtrooms for frivolous bs stuff either.

I can see an argument -- I think Clinton tried it -- that sitting presidents should at least be able to defer lawsuits. That would protect a president doing his job from harassment until he got out. At which time, the motivation for specious lawsuits would fade anyway. But the DOJ claim is WAY bigger than that. They aren't saying plaintiffs should wait for the good of the nation. They are saying their claim should be denied forever for the good of the nation.

And finally, this is Trump we're talking about here. Supposedly, he's been involved in over 3,500 lawsuits going back decades. He has obviously arranged his life with legal departments, lawyers on retainer, etc, so that he can be constantly engaged in legal fights without it adversely impacting him. There might have been past presidents who would be distracted by a barrage of lawsuits, but not this guy. If lawsuits are harassment, he's been harassing himself his whole life.

pgabriel likes this.
  15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It won't be adjudicated while he is in office anyway.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I don't get about this is that in Jones v Clinton it was established that sitting President's can be sued while in office. This argument seems to say that if the President makes a statement about the plaintiff then that counts as an official act and therefore DOJ can step in..

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't wait for my Tax dollars to stop fattening the pockets of this grifting family and instead go to families in need due to COVID.