1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao expressed his dissapointment with the Rockets' outside shooting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Mar 21, 2006.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yao after last night's game against the Clippers:

"For me, that's like a breath of fresh air when we make a couple of shots from the outside," Yao said. "It takes a lot of pressure off of me. When we make a couple of shots from the outside ... the defender has to think about it. Now, he would hesitate going to help or double team because he wouldn't want to leave the guy who was making shots."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3737123.html

"When we are bricking from the outside and relying on (my) scoring inside, I am always surrounded with multiple defenders. Our offense will be much better if our guards can make shots from the perimeter."

http://sports.sohu.com/20060321/n242398567.shtml

2. noize

noize Contributing Member

Good, he needs to call out his teammates b/c its getting really old.

3. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Funny. I'm surprised this thread wasn't titled, "Yao Rips Teammates' Outside Shooting!!!!!!!" And then 17 pages of vitriol.

(Just to clarify: I have no problem with Yao saying this. And I had no problem with JVG last week.)

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is big. This is the next step. How vocal he's willing to become about this problem will tell us 1) whether his reticence has been a product of culture or of feelings of inadequacy and 2) how far we progress toward a championship.

5. fa7999

fa7999 Member

JVG never believes that offense wins the championship.

I guess that he sincerely believes that using 5 clowns to wave their hands madly in the faces of opposing players is the recipe for a title.

From JVG:

"I don't care that we brick 10 shots in a row. As long as we keep the opponents from putting the ball in the basket, we are in the game."

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's just a stupid statement by JVG.

7. droxford

droxford Member

I can understand what Yao must be going through.

We are one of the five worst teams in the NBA in ....

3-point shooting percentage (ranked 27th)
    field goals attempted (ranked 26th)
    field goals made (ranked 29th)
    points per shot (ranked 28th)
    field goal percentage (ranked 29th)
    points per game (ranked 29th)
    turnovers (ranked 27th)

... out of 30 teams.

I like JVG, but he needs to recognize that strong offenses are more important (with current rules) than they used to be (in the old "illegal defense" days).

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

JVG actually migh make a greate soccer coach.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Again,

I wonder if Barry could have made a difference?

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Doubtful considering he is both old and not at a 100%.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did he really say BRICKING!!
    Man he is picking up the lingo quickly

Rocket River

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, it's not like if Yao or JVG or someone else rips them they're going to shoot any better.

This is a horrendous outside shooting team, that's a given because the players we have can't shoot all that well, not because they're somehow not 'trying' to make shots, they just can't.

As for Yao's comments, I like the fact that he's being more vocal. BTW, did he say that to the American or the Chinese media? I hope it's the former...

13. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Both. The first quote was from Feign's article in Houston Chronicles.

14. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

So true...

I'm not sure what reasoning was used to assemble this team.

Look at the stats

Rafer Alston
    2006 - .379
    2005 - .414
    2004 - .376
    2003 - .415

Keith Bogans
    2006 - .398
    2005 - .396
    2004 - .381
    2003 - .403

David Wesley
    2006 - .410
    2005 - .398
    2004 - .389
    2003 - .433

Bob Sura
    2005 .427
    2004 .416
    2003 .412

I won't list the horrific 3P% these players have.

None of these players have been good shooters for the past 4 years. What did we think when we assembled a team full of such low percentage players? We traded away Mike James (who incidentally is shooting 47% this year) for a player who has never shot above 42%.

This must be rectified next year. As much as I would love a new PF, we need shooters really bad. If I were the Rockets, I would not let the summer go by without signing 2 bonafide high percentage shooters. Players that can at least crack 42%. Players that can hit a 3.

If it is JVG saying that he values defense over shooting, then it is time for him to go. If he is such a great defensive coach, surely he can teach it. JVG needs to face the fact that we will not shut down every team. The fact of the matter is that if we can't consistently shoot from the perimeter we will not win as all teams will triple and double Yao in the paint and double TMac on the perimeter.

15. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

This is why even though I love my Rockets they are the absolutely most boring team to watch in the league. :(

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL I don't know how one can still be a loyal fan of JVG in the face of these hard cold stats. Seriously how much can they be attributed to the injuries of TMac or Yao?

17. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I hope Rockets management caught wind Yao Ming's comments!

#17 JBIIRockets, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Do we have that JVG quote from anywhere else? I really doubt he said that statement

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Source?

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

droxford's list defnitely missed fast break points. Yesterday we didn't have a single point coming from fast break until the fourth QT. Before that, the fast break points for each team was 0 vs 21.

People keep trying to prove JVG can coach offense by bringing up the second half of last season. But among three full years of time JVG coached here, only 0.5 season did we play some pretty offense and have a good offense stats. I can't help wondering that this half season's pretty offense was really a result from JVG's system or he just caught up a bunch of players who understand how to shoot and score?