1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) Spurs buyout DeMarre Carroll, Houston frontrunners to sign him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 17, 2020.

1. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Before Clint went down / got traded, didn't MDA explicitly said he was going to try to limit Tucker's minutes? I'm sure Tucker will play heavy minutes during the playoffs, but he played about 33 minutes a game for the month of January. I wouldn't want to see with more MPG than that for the rest of the season.

I'm thinking that MDA will try Carroll in Tucker's role. They're not the same player, but I think they have similar skill profiles as 3&D guys. Carroll's used to defending the other team's best wing player but has also spent time in the post as a 4. He's obviously not as bulky as Tuck, but if he can knock down open corner threes and defend like he has in previous years, he'll be one of the pick-ups of the season for us.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Indeed, we are going to have to disagree.

Going by Mike’s postgame interviews, he seems very happy with Thabo, and I definitely think he wanted to play him, or else he would have played someone else.

That, and the guy is giving us good 8th/9th man minutes in D’Antoni’s usual 6 man rotation.

10 minutes as an 8th or 9th man for Mike is a TON.

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

How many minutes have Harden-WB-Tucker averaged since Tucker trade?

You may be surprised.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green will see some minutes too, only on 10 Day so need to suss him out in limited time available.

JuNx likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Carroll's reb% is pretty good for a SF - better than Ariza's and Luc's when we had them. But, his eFG% is much worse than both.

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Hopefully our system and ball handling gets rid of all his bullshit shots.

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Given Carroll's age and the salary he is probably leaving on the table, it seems to me that Carroll probably thinks that through getting playing time he has a good chance to show is worth more than the vet min over the next few years. Houston probably signaled they agreed and that's what led him to accept the buyout. The rationale is this:

Demarre Carroll reportedly agreed to a 2 year $13 million with Spurs, and then reworked it to be a 3 year $21 million deal, which is he now buying out in year one. At first glance, it would seem that Houston will make Carroll whole in year one, but he is potentially leaving $14 million on the table in years 2 and 3. Given the original 2 year deal he signed with the Spurs, I'm guessing year 3 was mostly non-guaranteed. That still leaves roughly 6-7m on the table for year 2. In his mind, Carroll must be thinking "I'm healthy, but not playing, so I probably won't play next year and then they will waive me in year 3 right before I turn 36, where I will have a hard time finding a vet min at my age coming off no playing time people will assume I'm injured and washed up. If I go to Houston and play, worst case scenario I will make vet min at 2.4 next year, and the year after, making up most of the salary I left on the able in San Antonio. However, with some playing time in the right system I can easily prove I'm worth more than that and make more than money I just gave up.

tl;dr: It's a good sign to me that Carroll is willing to bet on himself and forego the Spurs money. If he were truly washed his best bet was to take their money and retire at the end.

Side note: while it sucks for centers, if Houston's experiment works out, it's a boon for small forwards, who can elongate their careers by reasonably telling future employers "When I slow down I'll be an effective power forward, and when I lose another step I can be an effective center."

Edit: typos

#187 Matt78777, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

in all fairness who else would he play? thabo was the only player available. remember he doesnt wanna play traditional centers so isiah n tyson wasnt available...he was ur only back up 5 then. trust me his mins finna come down now.

BaselineFade and D-rock like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

good player having a terrible year. good signing.

10. Remlap

Remlap Member

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

agreed, i really like this signing. classic bounce back guy. Hard to understand why his drop off this year is so substantial, but if he's healthy i would bet on him turning things around with Houston.

Roomba and D-rock like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Carroll is probably going to be pegged mostly at small and power forward, interchangeable with Covington and House. I like that a lot.

Easy to imagine closing the game with this lineup...

Westrbook
    Harden
    Covington
    Carroll
    Tucker

Don't forget a healthy Eric Gordon too. I think I'll take my chances with those 6 guys.

Frenetic paced 5 out offense with great spacing and snipers around the 3 point line offensively along with frenetic switch everything, gritty defenders.

If Carroll isn't washed, adding he and Covington is essentially bringing back a version of the Luc/Ariza team that we all loved so much.

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets plan on using Carroll at the 4 primarily.

The Spurs used him at the 3 and he is no longer a good player at that position.

The Nets used him as a 4 with success.

His responsibilities will be more limited with the Rockets and as a PF.

He will be expected to defend well enough, grab rebounds and hit corner 3 pointers.

He is still a very solid interior defender and is a very good corner 3 point shooter.

It is also nice having Carroll around because the Rockets can now schedule off days for Tucker when needed and Carroll allows the Rockets to play Covington more at the 3.

We can roll out a small but really solid defensive line up of:

Westbrook/Harden/Covington/Carroll/Tucker

15. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Could argue cov>ariza, carrol remains to be seen

clutchdabear, D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I am very interested to see If Jeff Green or (more likely) DeMarre are capable of taking Thabo or Ben's minutes. I would be pleased If they turn out to be a huge upgrade. That said, Thabo has been hooping. He doesn't foul, and he covers up a ton of mistakes. Dude is a damn near perfect defender, ala Luc. And Ben, Jesus that dude has been LIGHT'S OUT ALL DAMN SEASON! Defense be damned! :)

D-rock likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Happy the Rockets got DeMarre Carroll. He fits what they are trying to do and should be a serviceable bench rotation player for now and the playoffs.

Rockets needed depth so this was a good get.

18. rockets13champs

Carroll is better offensively than Luc Richard, defensively he’s pretty close

19. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

His defense is poor. Id taje a 34-37 percentage 3 point player with better perimeter switching D over him. Mclemore will be the new gerald green.

D-rock and vator like this.
  20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Beard/EG
    Brodie/Rivers
    House/Bmore
    Covington/Demarre Carroll
    PJ/ Jeff Green (help with the numbe/r of minutes PJ plays)

Thabo, Chandler, Frazier, Caboclo, William Howard. Send Clemons and Harty to G League and Win Championship