1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Without radical change, stick a fork in this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am embarrassed tonight to be a Houston Rockets fan. These guys played like a lottery team, and Adelman has to take heat at the top of the list. How on earth can you coach a squad that puts such little effort defensively - defensively!

This was a team that 2 years ago was the cream of the NBA in terms of Defense, even last year. And we bring in a defensive stopper in Artest and get worse???

What on earth?

This team is a mess. A big mess...and they are playing like they are a mess. Team chemistry has fallen apart....and yet there are no major fights, no player is refusing to talk to another.

What you have is problems ON court, problems with communication, effort, and team play.

That points to poor coaching. Poor leadership and the fact that a coach would stand for lazy play.

Whether is be via trade or change in management, something must be done. The status quo is just too ugly to bear watching. This team if it makes the playoffs will still command no respect. And next year won't be much better.

Either a major trade or a coaching firing has to happen. Since a trade is very unlikely, it's time to bring in a new coach in my opinion. Certainly he's not entirely to blame, but when performance breaks down at a team level, coach has to take the responsibility.

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Getting a good point guard to run the show like how Denver got Billups would be a great start!

BTW lou isn't it time to change your sig?

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

probably...

4. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

The irony is that Jeff Van Gundy would be the perfect coach for this particular team.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

No one should feel safe right now, starters, bench players, coaches.

6. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

Usually i would not want radical change but something is just not right about this.

Maybe its due to battier injury,

Maybe the chemistry is not there, but this doesn't seem like a championship team.

I kind of want to give this team more time but half the season is already over and we are floating around mediocrity.

This team is too talented to be losing against scrub teams.

I don't want to trade artest because he's expiring, and i kind of want TMac to finish his contract for free agent hunt 2010, so the only logical thing to do is fire Coach Adelman.

I know everything isnt Adelmans fault but in all professional sports when things start going south the coach is first to get the axe. Maybe im overreacting and I accept i have a clear bias againest Adelman, but it seems like he's not the right coach

7. onlyloveMB

onlyloveMB Member

Actually,I miss JVG a lot!

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think it's very simple. trade ron's ending contract at the deadline.

trade tmacs monster ending contract this summer.

9. 24 in a roll

24 in a roll Member

realistically, the only good point guard who will immediately help us which we can get is baron davis in my opinion.

10. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

tmac is the cancer

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or Kirk Hinrich.

DD

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Rafer Alston is going ape-crap in the media like he has never done before. T-mac is talking too much, and artest is pointing fingers. Even Yao is complaining in the media.

THe locker room is a mess. And the players are out of control. THis is a coach losing control of his players.

The coach has failed to define roles and failed to lay down the law. He's letting guys get playing time for lapsing. Play the scrubs for god sakes.

Start Chuck Hayes!

13. 24 in a roll

24 in a roll Member

seriously DDdakota, i don't understand your fascination with him.. that guy isnt even that good and a bad contract imo... and who were u suggesting we should trade this guy for?

14. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

please... JVG! JVG! JVG!! JVG!!

15. onreego

onreego Member

Or Andre Miller

But would Philly do that? doubtful...

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I like those moves but I wanna clean house. Get rid of all of the big 3

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a better 3pt shooting, better defending, better overall player than Rafer.

What is wrong with that?

DD

18. verti89

verti89 Member

1. DD wtf is your obsession with Hinrich...the only major difference between him and rafer is a worse contract and he is white.

2. I have a feeling that unless morey is passing out some seriously good reefer at the all star game, our team is going to look the same minus a Head. BUT we do need a big change though so what I am hoping is that the powers that be (Morey.Adelman) will have enough...gumption...to do so. I propose you bench The Big Intangible and McGrady and let Ron and Wafer start. I know everyone hates Rafer, but 1. he cares every night, and 2. he really isn't that bad unless he tries to do too much. I think Ron is better suited to be the number 2 to Yao's number 1 because when he is the go to guy on the floor with the second team he tries to do too much and just sucks, and Wafer played well enough when he started that I think it merits him being in there. Yea his defense is weak but its not like Tmac has been a defensive stalwart either. Then you put Shane and TMac coming in with the second group and pray that with Yao out of the lineup and the younger athletic guys in there, there is more room for Tmac to drive the lane. I think this is probably the most reasonable shakeup we can hope for.

19. 24 in a roll

24 in a roll Member

yea but who can we trade him for and who does the bulls want from us.. how can we match the contracts..

20. red96

red96 Member

I agree. From Hayes, Shane, Alston, to Deke. They are all JVG type players. He knew how to use Yao better and JVG demanded effort and defence from T-Mac. I even think Ron would have been great with JVG defensive schemes.
    The only fault of JVG in my opinion is that he only ran 4 plays(which was predictable and boring) and he played his old guys to much. But damn :( , I wish we still had that boring offense. At least we were a great defensive team and we were consistant. Atleast we knew who we were and what we were going to get. Right now its like we can almost beat anybody and lose to eveyone. JVG never had no way near this much talent. Since JVG left we added Scola, Landry, Barry, Brooks, Artest, and Von Wafer. WTF? :confused:. Compare and play our new additions to our 06-07 starting lineup of Alston, T-Mac, Shane, Howard and Yao and you have a competitive game.
    Alston < Brooks
    T-Mac > Von Wafer
    Shane < Artest
    Howard < Landry or Scola
    Yao > Scola or Landry
    BENCH
    Head < or = Barry

:mad: Got Dammit, and we cant get JVG back or fire Rick because that wont make us a winner. They're not many good coaches availble. So now all we can do is split this team (that could have acheived so much if a few things were different) up and try to save this season.