1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Obama’s interaction will Gov. Christie give him the momentum?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by underoverup, Nov 1, 2012.

?

Will Obama’s interaction will Gov. Christie give him the momentum?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. underoverup

underoverup Member

The two men seem to really like each other and it really takes away from Christie's comments at the convention.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/sandy_brings_gov_christie_obam.html

"I cannot thank the president enough for his personal concern and compassion for our state and the people of our state," Christie said at a news conference in Brigantine as Obama stood by his side.

The Republican governor has effusively praised Obama’s leadership all week — telling reporters the president has been "outstanding," "all over this" and "deserves great credit."

Obama returned the compliments, thanking Christie "for his extraordinary leadership and partnership."

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

No, Obama was already on an uptick.

It will give Christie some nice publicity for his 2016 run though.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Could not hurt.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

No the Prez was on the move anyway.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I honestly think it will have no effect. As far as momentum, he already has it a little.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It does not hurt, and it will help the President with independent voters, in my opinion. What will help him the most? His leadership during this crisis. Having said that, it was a wonderful image for the nation to see. True bipartisanship in service to the country. Exactly what we needed an example of. My opinion of Governor Christie went up accordingly. His own leadership for his state has been outstanding.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Not sure but...

Florida uses FEMA a LOT!

In fact, any voter along the coast (FL, GA, NC, SC, AL, LA, MS, TX) should pause and consider which candidate wants to keep FEMA and who doesn't.

1 person likes this.
  8. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Christie has to think about 2013 before 2016. It's a much easier political angle for him than the deep-seated conspiracy theory of not wanting Romney to win. Christis first does not want Obama coming to NJ next year to campaign against him.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Super storm Sandy will be the "October surprise", as I believe it will put Obama decidedly over the top. Let's see how the political history will be written if Obama gets re-elected.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Don't forget CA, OR, WA, AK, HI, VA, DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, and ME. Some of those states also have volcanoes and earthquakes.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Really rather not think about it in those terms; just glad it's not another hayseed catfight like Bush, Nagin and Blanco back in '05.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it helps Obama so I voted yes but I don't think it is a game changer.

I am not all that surprised by Christie's comments. He is accountable to the voters of NJ most of all and this is a state that is going to go heavily for Obama and in a crisis it doesn't make sense for Christie to maintain an adversarial relationship.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It has been a positive. Romney's momentum had already faded away, but even a small uptick is huge in a close election. At the very least it helps prevent Romney from regaining the momentum.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Chris Christie wants to be president. I believe he saw this as a great opportunity to get himself some good national run and he took it.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Forget it. Even before this, I would have told you Christie isn't enough of a pandering partisan hack to be nominated by the Republican party.

He just doesn't fit their mold (no pun intended) as a national candidate.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Obama already has the Omentum. What does he need momentum for?

Omentum is Nooooooomentum.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bad news for Christie the last US President of that heft was William Howard Taft.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately in the media age it is going to be very unlikely we are going to see another fat or bald US President.

18. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Agreed. I like Christie, but he has little to no chance of winning the Republican presidential nomination in 2016...or ever. The GOP establishment won't allow it. Christie is too honest and too much of a straight shooter.

19. underoverup

underoverup Member

Another article states: "Far Right apoplectic over Obama, Christie bromance"

;)

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Dec...a-wins-how-much-credit-goes-to-Chris-Christie

If Obama wins, how much credit goes to Chris Christie?

The New Jersey governor has praised President Obama's handling of hurricane Sandy. Some Republicans wonder if Chris Christie's own presidential ambitions have, once again, undercut Mitt Romney.

With news coverage over the past few days focused largely on the aftermath of hurricane Sandy, the presidential campaign has been relegated to the back burner, even as Election Day fast approaches. Yet Mr. Obama has still made it into the headlines – most prominently, with Wednesday's high-profile tour of the devastation in New Jersey. Notably, it was a visit that the state’s Republican governor embraced with open arms, calling it “really important” and telling reporters he appreciated the president’s coming “very much.”

Perhaps even more eye-catching was Governor Christie’s public praise of the president, saying in one interview that Obama has been "all over this and deserves great credit," and noting that he’d spoken to him on the phone three times in one day. In other interviews, he variously described working with the president as “wonderful,” and he called Obama's response "outstanding."

IN PICTURES: Sandy – chronicle of an unrelenting storm

Bipartisan praise like that is hard to come by these days – particularly from a top surrogate for Mitt Romney, who gave the keynote address at the Republican National Convention – and many analysts have pronounced it a big boon for Obama, politically.

Of course, Christie’s top priority right now is – and should be – the recovery and rebuilding effort in his state. And for that, clearly, he needs the Obama administration on his side. As Russ Schriefer, a top Romney aide, told reporters, Christie is “doing exactly what he’s supposed to be doing as governor of New Jersey.”

But surely, the Obama-Christie “bromance” (as the media have predictably dubbed it) must have some Republicans wondering if Christie’s own presidential ambitions have, once again, conveniently undercut the party’s current standard-bearer.

20. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

OK, my first, and last, "+1" to you for "omentum."