1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wii Browser now free with updated Flash player!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roxfan73, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Updated mine last night. I can now get a few free video and flash game sites to work.

Nintendo makes Wii's Web-browsing Internet Channel free (again)

Link

Nintendo Wii owners who wanted to browse the Web from their consoles have previously been forced to purchase the Wii Internet Channel application from the Wii Shop Channel for 500 Wii Points (that's $5.00 to the rest of us). Nintendo has now made the app free for all Wii users, saying, "Effective immediately, people who want to browse the Internet using their Wii consoles will be able to do so at no added cost."

The Wii browser, based on Opera, was previously available as a free download to early adopters who installed it between April and June of 2007.

If you've already shelled out 500 Wii points for the Internet Channel, Nintendo is offering a make-good in the form of a free game download, but you'll have to wait until October to collect.

Nintendo says in a press release: "Starting at the end of October, consumers who have previously exchanged 500 Wii Points to download the Internet Channel will be able to download, at no cost, one NES game of their choice valued at 500 Wii Points from Virtual Console."

While all three major living room consoles offer online features, only the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii have traditional Web browsers. With this price cut, both systems now offer free Web browsing software. However, some of the most compelling reasons to use a game console Web browser -- streaming Hulu and Netflix videos -- don't currently work out-of-the-box, but workarounds such as PlayOn are available for those who don't mind doing some extra set-up work.

Update: Also new to the Internet Channel is Adobe Flash Lite 3.1. We'll download the update and test it on some video streaming sites, but expect it to work with YouTube videos, not Hulu or Netflix.

2. droxford

droxford Member

Schweet.

I'm starting to use my wii as a media center. It's pretty cool.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I remember downloading it free when I first got it. Used it to play youtube video and flash video before the PS3 update. easy way to navigate to videos on youtube.

4. tested911

tested911 Member

Got any link to do that? I want to be able to burn dvd's to an external HD and have DVD covers displayed on the Wii.. Is that possible? Sorta like USB loaderGX but with Media (Dvd's/CD)..

5. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Damn, i just paid for it 4 weeks ago. Now I have to hope to remember to get my free game in October - which I probably won't remember to do.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Google is your friend... or your enemy... ;) :cool:

7. tested911

tested911 Member

Swoly that doesn't help much.. And if you read my statement I said I already have USBLoaderGX (which takes a lot of research from GOOGLE)... I'm just wanting an interface like USBloaderGX for DVD/CD for the WII.

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I wasn't going to pay for it, but dl'd it yesterday. This and media share on Uverse have been great updates to play with.

9. droxford

droxford Member

Unfotunately, the interface isn't as graceful as what you're looking for.

But, if you don't mind a clunkety DOS-based interface...

MPlayerWii is a utility that you run on your Wii which runs on your Wii and can play files off of a USB drive or the Wii's SD card. With that you can have a big fat USB drive containing all your DVD's and just watch from there. And that app can play most common file formats, including MKV, FLV, MPG, AVI, WMV, MP3, MP4, 3GP, M4V, etc. files and with the most popular codecs (Xvid, Divx, etc.)

A few days ago, I downloaded the Dollhouse Episode 13 and watched it off of the SD card. It worked nicely.

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I dont think I've turned on my Wii in at least 8 months.

Any good games for it recently?