1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did Carroll Dawson trade Rudy Gay for Battier???????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Johnson2000, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

thats right. DD is in the know at all the local buffet joints in Houston

1 person likes this.
  2. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, DeShawn STevenson- NBA Comparison- Michael Jordan.

I wish i could rep you. HhHAHAHAHAHAHA, this just made my day and that pic- priceless

3. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

The trade was stromile swift and his multi year contract plus RG for battier. We unloaded a bad contract in the deal.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Poster 'what' created this remarkably titled thread:

Rudy Gay's about to show the world he's on Durant's level
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=213229

(Which will not be true)

But the point to take out of it: The fact Rudy Gay EVEN IS a poor man's Kevin Durant, and how that discussion can even be approached from ANY angle.

Rearview-mirror backdate that to the TRADE, and...

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

See, this is the type of post that really brings the GARM down.

Everyone knows DD lives in Austin.

2 people like this.
  6. stefanb

stefanb Member

this has been discussed so many times on this board, youtube comments, and on the walls of truck stop restrooms. we traded our pick for battier and nobody knew rudy gay was going to be the player he became. we wouldn't have picked him anyways most likely. i'm in no way comparing the two, but that's like asking why monta ellis was drafted at 40. that's a huge steal right there. and san antonio fans are probably still shaking their heads at trading scola. what about this? bucks traded dirk nowitski to the mavericks for robert traylor...who the hell is robert traylor? lol. i think the worst of all was when portland drafted sam bowie instead of jordan or charles barkley. i know they already had clyde but still. they also passed up on john stockton but people didn't know he was going to be the number 1 assist man of all time. give the rockets organization a break man. we lost 2 of the best superstars in the nba (yao and t-mac) to injuries recently. you can't just bounce back from that right away. now if they didn't get injured maybe we could have traded them for some stars back. like how the lakers traded vlade divac to the hornets for kobe. don't worry my fellow rockets fan, i know you're frustrated just like the rest of us. but people forget that we are a championship franchise and we are the HOUSTON MUTHA^&%*$& ROCKETS. our time will come. patience is a virtue and great fans have it. sorry for the rant i just felt i needed to add my insight. good day.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Way to jump late to the party dude. Anyway i don't regret that trade for a single minute. why the hell would I want someone who actually plays softer than Battier but makes the max? I'd rather be "stuck in mediocrity" rather than overpay some dude who doesn't deserve half of what he makes. I mean, overpaying worked so well for Rashard Lewis, Arenas, Joe Johnson, Juwon Howard etc. etc. etc.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How quickly you forget how awesome Shane Battier was for us all those years.

Want to hear a secret?
    (It wasn't the supporting cast that was the problem, it was the "stars")

9. onreego

onreego Member

Give me someone who can do this to the team's fans and I'll take a flyer..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WK7lIjFsGvg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  10. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Lol... Spit out the Kool-Aid already.

Rudy Gay is EXACTLY the kind of player that Morey is currently scrambling to get. He knows that he's not likely to get a Kobe, Wade, Howard, Lebron, etc outside of the draft. And players in the Gay, Granger, Iguodala, Gasol mold are who's actually attainable.

May have been marginally justifiable at the time the trade went down, but in hindsight... It was a terrible trade. That #8 pick, if used correctly, could have netted the team much much more than Shane. And it should have.

Young players like Stephen Jackson, Sam Cassell, Manu, and Dennis Rodman were all contributors to championship teams in their early years in the league. No reason why Gay couldn't have played a simular role here.

The trade MAY have been some-what understandable at the time, but to blindly justify it now (Especially with 20/20 Hindsight Vision), is... Well...

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Gasol is not in the same old as Gay.

Gasol has made the playoffs without Shane Battier. Gay has not.

12. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

2nd/3rd tier talent.

Same mold.

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

If Rudy Gay is even one of your top 2 players, much less best player, it's time to pack it in and tank.

14. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Lol... The irony.

15. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

What if Scola or Kevin Martin is you best player...

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

EXACTLY!

18. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Well according to you, Rockets better start packin! ... I'd take him over anyone on the Rockets roster ... Outside of Scola maybe

But who cares ... I think its time to move on sir

19. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

You! Shut your logical mouth!

20. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

TMac couldn't mentor himself let alone someone else.