1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did Carroll Dawson trade Rudy Gay for Battier???????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Johnson2000, Jan 9, 2012.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

STOP BEATING A DEAD HORSE. HE IS GONE. IT'S OVER. YOU LOSE. GOOD DAY.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

The trade wouldn’t have looked so bad if we at least got their pick. 8th pick for Battier + their 24th (Lowry) would have been a much less bitter pill to swallow. You don’t trade an 8th pick for just a no-stats All-Star. Oh well, I’m glad DM has gotten a lot better with negotiations since then.

3. thething

thething Contributing Member

They thought that Battier would be a perfect fit with T-Mac and Yao.

Gay was never going to be the choice if that trade hadn't gone through--it would have been Sefolosha.

Rondo would have been the best pick at that slot anyway.

4. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

We also dumped stromile swift on them. It wasn't that bad of a deal.

1 person likes this.
  5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Did everyone forget that we got out from under that Stromile Swift contract? That was at least part of the motivation behind the deal.

Still, understanding the motivations behind the deal doesn't mean it was the best course of action. I think the #8 pick has too much value to give it up for a role player like Battier. I would have loved if the rockets would have gotten a legit 3rd scorer who was a 2way player. That elite defense wouldn't have been necessary if we were unguardable. Which should have been the case with a 7'6 dominant post player and an elite 6'8 playmaker. We didn't need stars around those guys just players that made it difficult to double up by possessing some ability to score other than stand still jump shots.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The reasons behind the trade are still sound and I have no problem with it. We were trying to build around Yao and T-mac and it was win-now mode. Gay was not what we needed.

I think it's hilarious that the OP included Gay's scouting report, in case we don't know who he is.

This is about 5years/100 threads late.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I was in Toyota Center for that draft night. JVG talked to the crowd a bit. Juwan Howard was there. JVG was gone by the time we announced Rudy Gay, and then the trade for Shane.

JVG knew: I'm gone, ain't gonna stick around here.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Lets be fair, Gay does rebound.

Just doesn't pass or play defense.

9. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Worked out for the best: Lowry got a couple years of work with our D-League affiliate the Grizzlies before joining the regular team.

As for Rudy: Better player than the Rockets expected he would turn out to be, obviously, but he's one of them 2nd/3rd tier guys (somewhere around the Joe Johnson/Danny Granger neighborhood and a bit above the Scola/Martin level, I guess). Good, but not someone that makes you a real contender as the #1 or maybe even the #2 guy.

If Rudy was making his max salary on our team, we'd probably be b****ing about how he's "fool's gold."

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah but better than anyone on our team now...lol
    DD

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

17 mill per year, on average, for the next 4 years. That's Kevin Durant money.

13. Nook

Nook Member

How do you know that? He was not the GM at the time.... even if it was a Morey move, I do not want Gay at his current contract....

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Rudy Gay would have brought us a ring.

It wasn't a bad move.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Lowry > Gay.... and want nothing to do with Gay at his current contract.

16. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Well, we wouldn’t have even picked Gay, so that shows bad talent evaluation from our FO to begin with.

It’s like when they lost out on their coveted prize (Roy) they just gave up that pick for much less than it was worth.

I just wish the Rockets had the sense to want and keep Gay OR had gotten more than just Shane, that’s all. Morey does know how to correct his mistakes, though, and at least got us Lowry later…

And I don't get why everyone assumes we would have paid Gay a max contract. No team even offered Gay that kind of money in restricted free agency, Memphis is just the idiot team who offered it straight up.

17. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

Its funny, how people complain about Rudy's contract as if the money is coming out of their paycheck.
    Memphis is arguably a smaller market than Houston, yet can afford to pay 4 max players- Gasol, Conley, Randolph and Rudy- So im sure Houston can do it too.

You pay anything to keep an athletic SF who can shoot lights out and score 25+ on any given night. Look what we paid for T-Mac when he was already past prime

18. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

He didnt really learn, the next time around, he gave up Nicholas Batum to Portland. WTF, you are happy we got Lowry over Rudy Gay. Nicca Please

1 person likes this.
  19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

NBA Draft? Really?

You talking about this website?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because I just know things that the average joe doesn't....I am in the know....you know.

DD