1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should start at QB for UT in the bowl game?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SamCassell, Dec 2, 2001.

Tags:
?

Who should start at QB for UT in the bowl game?

1. Major Applewhite

30 vote(s)
    81.1%
  2. Chris Simms

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Do you go with Major on the basis of the Colorado game performances by both QBs? Or Simms, on the basis that he'll be back next year and needs the experience?

2. Major

Major Member

If he didn't learn anything starting this entire season, will one more game make a difference?

If we start Simms, I think its a sad statement on the program. I really believe in the "best player plays" philosophy. I don't see how Mack Brown can honestly tell a future lesser recruit that he can fairly compete with a "big name" recruit if you keep starting Simms regardless of the results.

Many people thought Simms should start the rest of this year (after the OU debacle) because we were simply playing for next year already and he needed the experience. Turned out we were still playing for the Rose Bowl. Never, ever play for next year in my opinion, even if its your last game of the season. The players, especially the seniors, deserve better.

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

Chance Mock and his 506 QB rating.

Or Major.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Why are people so concerned about Simms?

Where were you people when Major lost the starting job due to injury?

Simms lost the starting job last night. No question. If Simms starts and struggles vs. Washington, there will be hell to pay, and Mack knows it.

Did you see how good we looked with Major? ZERO TURNOVERS without Benson and M. Williams.

I really feel for the situation Chris is in. I think last night was a big reality check.

After the game, I heard people screaming and cars honking their horns outside. So I went out onto my friends balcony. People in the opposite building were screaming with the people in their building. People were in the streets while it was raining. All calling out Simms manhood. It's safe to say he is not well liked.

5. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I kept talking to my friends last night about how freaking ironic it would be next year if simms lost his job to some "name" recruit like vincent young or even matt nordgren.

as a UT fan, I think Texas' most realistic shot at a national title next year [and before you UT haters bash me, understand that I'm saying "most" realistic, as opposed to "very realistic"] involves simms as the qb.

they need to change up their offense to whatever they were running when Ricky was the man. they need to take as much pressure as possible off of simms, and I believe that means playing the best run-blocking linemen and letting cedric benson start really chasing ricky and ron.

and all UT fans have to start hoping that simms will simmply improve his ability to a) read defenses, b) improve his big-game mental toughness, and c) learn how to harness his emotions after he makes 1 mistake.

I'm not optimistic about him doing all those things in 1 year, but I do believe that is still our best chance.

having said that, I do hope that brown will open up he competition in spring to give mock and nordgren legitimate shots to take the job. the only problem with that is that, when the relative pressure is off, we all know that simms will be lights out. I doubt nordgren or mock could outplay simms in spring ball. I have no doubt that they could outperform him against ou, neb, col, atm, etc.

and there is no rational, legitimate way that simms should start over applewhite in the bowl game.

what must brown be thinking this morning, knowing that he screwed over applewhite and put all his money on the wrong horse for the last two years?

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I have been the biggest Simms supporter on this board. But facts are facts, he flat out doesn't have it right now. Sure, immense physical tools, great arm, etc. But Major has the intangibles. Put Major's brain in Chris's body and we would be undefeated. Start Major.

7. Smokey

We are running the same offense we ran when Ricky was here. GD did a good job of mixing the run and pass last night until Benson got hurt. Maybe the offense isn't the problem anymore.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Simms has been given every opportunity to succeed. He just has not been a clutch performer.

vs. top 10: Simms has thrown 0 td's and 11 int's.

I thought the object of the game was to throw to your own men.

8. SamCassell

Interesting results so far. 14-0! I guess all the Simms supporters jumped on the Major bandwagon. Nobody is willing to say "just a bad game, we still believe in Chris" anymore.

Too bad our vote doesn't count. I would be shocked if Mack doesn't play Simms in the bowl game.

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Aside from the fact that <i>he's better</i>, Major Applewhite has only one game left in college -- let him play in it!

I think he'd be able to make a solid 2nd string QB in the NFL (heck, he's better than some of the first string-ers already!

10. Smokey

I think Simms will play during the game, but Mack Brown is a coward chicken if he doesn't start Major.

The best player starts.

Mack is gonna take a lot of **** from everyone if he starts Simms.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think another interesting question is this one:

Who was the one person that voted for Simms?

The Cat or somebody else?

12. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

does anyone think major applewhite can't do what jason garrett has done in the nfl for many, many years?

13. Smokey

I saw Major in an interview say he would like to try out the NFL thing but is not going to force it. If he isn't drafted I can see him trying out for some teams, but if he's cut he's coming right back to Austin. The Titans had offered him an internship but I read Mack said Major decided to turn it down and be a grad assistant at Texas. Major is a legend at Texas. People are going to be telling stories of last night for years to come. First pass is a bomb to BJ then he taunts the CU bench. Incredible.

14. Band Geek Mobster

I hope UT loses, so I voted for Simms...:)

15. Smokey

Major Deserves To Start

Travis Richmond
    Daily Texan Columnist
    December 03, 2001

IRVING - Texas had many goals this season, but most of them are gone by virtue of its loss to Colorado in the Big 12 Championship.
    A victory would have given Texas its second Big 12 title - first under Mack Brown - and an accompanying berth in the Bowl Championship Series.

More importantly, by virtue of Florida being the latest team to choke away a chance at the national title, a win probably would have sent the Horns to the Rose Bowl.

Instead, Texas jumped on the chokewagon and managed to yet again come up empty when things mattered most. Honestly, it should come as no surprise that quarterback Chris Simms was the main culprit in the loss to Colorado, as Simms has repeatedly proven he has a knack for stepping down in big games.

Three interceptions and a fumble later, Simms was on the bench and Major Applewhite nearly led Texas to the promised land in spite of Simms.

As a result, Applewhite should start at quarterback in Texas' bowl game.

Better man should play

Texas is likely headed to San Diego to play in the Holiday Bowl for the second straight year. And while the game will be the final one of Applewhite's collegiate career, that is no reason to deny the now obvious. Applewhite gives Texas a better chance to win big games, period.

There need not be any talk about how Simms' confidence is shattered and how badly he needs to start the Holiday Bowl so Texas can make a title run in 2002.

The title run happened this season, and Simms threw it away with his interceptions against Colorado. Now, Brown must pick up the pieces and prevent Texas from losing its third consecutive bowl game.

As poorly as Simms played against Colorado, Applewhite was the polar opposite, again looking like the 1999 Big 12 co-player of the year.

When he was on the field, Texas' offense repeatedly drove the field against the Buffaloes. Had running back Cedric Benson not missed the second half with an injury, three Applewhite-led drives that ended with field-goal attempts might have ended with touchdowns, and the Horns would be headed to Pasadena.

At some point, Brown needs to start playing for the present, and that means putting your best players on the field. The fourth-year Texas coach did that in the second half of the Big 12 title game, sticking with Applewhite even though Simms' injured ring finger on his throwing hand appeared fine.

Simms suffered the same injury against Missouri in October and sat out just one play before returning and not missing a beat. If Brown thought Applewhite gave his team a better chance at winning a game to get to the Rose Bowl, he should stick with the senior when trying to win a bowl game for the first time since 1998, when Ricky Williams was around to carry the load.

What matters most

Brown is now at a crossroads as Texas' head coach. His decision to bench Applewhite for Simms was done on the grounds that Simms had done nothing to lose the starting job after inheriting it because of an Applewhite injury last November.

Now, the tables have turned. Applewhite replaced Simms after a (minor) injury against Colorado and nearly rallied Texas from a 19-point deficit.

If Brown sticks with Simms with one eye cast toward the future, it creates a double standard between Simms and Applewhite. Also, if Brown chooses Simms over Applewhite for future benefits, he de-emphasizes the importance of Texas' bowl game.

If those are his intentions, fine. But fans shouldn't be expected to travel to San Diego to watch what would basically be the kickoff of spring practice for Simms.

After losing to Colorado, Brown harped on the importance of winning the bowl game and how that would signify an 11-win season and secure a top-10 finish.

More importantly, Texas needs to win a bowl game to know that it can. Even if the quarterback who engineers the victory won't be around next season, a win would do wonders for the confidence of rest of the Texas team not named Simms.

When spring practice rolls around, Simms will get his chance to learn how to prevent the mistakes that cost Texas so dearly against Colorado.

And if he doesn't, then perhaps it's time for Chance Mock or Matt Nordgren to get a look. There is no denying Simms is a talented player with seemingly untapped potential.

The question becomes how long Brown and the Texas football program can afford to wait for that potential to become reality.

here

16. Smokey

Those guys at Hornfans are so hypocritical. They make fun of Aggies and Sooners for keeping tight control over the BBS, but guess what??? They're doing it now. You can't express an opinion. Simms f'ing sucks.

Anyways, go to http://www.dailytexanonline.com/

Front page poll. Simms vs. Applewhite.

Hahaha :)

You can't shake the disease.

17. SamCassell

Hehe. I beat them to it. Their numbers are even more skewed towards Applewhite starting than ours are. (although that lousy BGM messed up the results :mad: )

18. PhiSlammaJamma

So let me get this straight, Simms leads you to the number 3 ranking in the U.S, gives you a shot at the Rose Bowl, has one horrible game, and you are ready to bench him. That doesn't make a lot of sense. He should start. He will be your QB next year and benching him will rattle the team and his confidence. LEt him play. Even if he loses, he learns something. Applewhite doesn't give you anything special. It was a nice comeback. He played well, but he's your backup. That's his job.

19. Smokey

One horrible game?!?

Since he became starting QB last November, UT is 0-3 vs. Top 15 opponents, and 0-2 vs. Top 10 opponents.

The only ranked teams Simms has lead UT to victory over are:

# 22 Texas A&M (Austin)
    # 16 Colorado (Austin)

Simms has played very bad against the Top 15. Yet people want him to continue to start.

# 11 Oregon
    # 3 Oklahoma
    # 7 Colorado

Major Applewhite will not be back next year, however he gives Texas the best chance to beat # 24 Washington.

Simms should see action in the game when UT has the game under control.

Just imagine if Simms starts and throws a pick. Let the boos start raining cause the majority of UT fans want Applewhite to start.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I want Texas to be successful, both now and next year. Thus I voted for Major on 2 counts.

#1 Major is clearly the better player right now

#2 If Simms starts and we roll some lesser team that could let him and coaches off too easy. There are only 2 ways a person can react to a dismal failure like that. It can kill him, or make him stronger. I am hoping this disastros season creates a new resolve and determinantion in him. This is probably this young mans first real test, and tests can be good. Since he more than likely will be the starter for us next year, let him stew this offseason, and hope it spurns him to work harder than he ever has to become a better player, and better leader of teammates.

In sum, the best thing for the team, and for Simms, is to start Major!