1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets team was your favorite? (sans championship years)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This...and not even close.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

1976-1977 - Malone's first year, Newlin, Tomjanovich, Murphy, Lucas' rookie year, etc....Newlin made what I consider one of the greatest defensive plays I have ever seen a guard make in the playoffs that season.

1 person likes this.
  3. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Post title years. Barkley's first year and 04-05.

5. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

this. fascinating cast of players that fit together in a way that made them a real threat to win the title that year.

6. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

This. That team was so fun to watch with all the veterans gelling late in the year (Jon Barry, bobby Sura, David Wesley, mike james)... Really thought that squad was good enough to go the distance had we not lost juwan Howard (lol I can't believe I just typed that) late in the year.

7. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Yeah 08-09 team was very good and 1 of my fav as well. Like you said, Yao was a very good centerpiece. Scola was very good. Had defensive bully Ron Artest. The tough Carl Landry. I miss that team.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was a great run, losing game 7 to the Lakers in the second round. A hard fought, if uneven effort by the Rockets. Although Yao's injury dimmed most of the good feelings about making progress, I still felt like we had accomplished something. Had we done anything remotely similar last season in the playoffs, I would have been a satisfied man.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's 08-09 for me, and then the Ralph Sampson finals team after that.

As a matter of fact, that 08 team is one of the reasons I joined CF (09/08).

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

After 1993-4 team...nothing really until 2015

11. because24

because24 Member

Other than the Championship years of course it would be the 2000 - 2001 season. The Rockets missed the playoffs by 2 games but it was one of the most exciting seasons the Rockets have had. We were lob city at the time. With scrappy player like Carlos Rogers. I remember all Cato points coming off lobs. Every game Franchise did something spectacular that you never seen before. And we still had the Greatest Rocket off all time the Dream.

12. autoprt

autoprt Member

mine were the ones with ron artest he was the reason i started following rockets.

13. kemah

kemah Member

I believe that was the year we also lost Lloyd-Wiggins to coke. We were winning at a good clip too until that happened.

14. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

YOU REALLY HAD THE POINT! I LIKED THAT SQUAD VERY MUCH! MISS THEM ALL! THOSE PLAYERS WITH A ROCKET HEART!

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We lost them during the next season, 32 games in. John Lucas was lost during the '85-'86 season, all 3 for the same thing, coke. With Sampson's injury, the loss of Lucas, Lloyd, Wiggins, and essentially Sampson (who was never the same after the Boston series), put paid to a nascent dynasty. The media thought that Houston would be in the Finals and winning championships for the next decade. It was not to be. As lucky as we've been to get players like Malone and Dream, Murphy and Rudy T, and a host of other guys, we've had more than our share of bad luck.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

1996/1997

Barkley, Bullard, Clyde, Elie, Othella, Eddie Johnson, Charles Jones, Hakeem, Willis

...Kevin Willis was fun to watch if you were too young to know him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tDHOg8tcSL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. kemah

kemah Member

ok

Ok thanks. It was a long time ago. I remember we were winning a lot of games until that happened.

18. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Seen it mentioned a couple times and I will add to it. My favorite non championship Rockets team is the 97-97 squad. Before the season we make the huge trade for Barkley to add to Hakeem and Clyde. All three were on the wrong side of 30, but still had game for sure. Willis was a beast that season and the following season and Elie was still around from the championship squad. We were weak at the point with Maloney and Brent Price but that team still finished top 3 in the west, took out a young T'Wolves team in the first round with Garnett and Marbury, exercised their Sonices demons by finally knocking them out of the playoffs before ultimately falling to the Jazz in the WCF (still a top 3 most heartbreaking sports moment for me).

The shame is that we were so close to finally getting that Jordan/Olajuwon finals. Even if we lost it I wish we could have seen that because not many things piss me off more than people brushing aside the back to back championships with Jordan wasn't there or he only just came back for the end of 94-95. Would have loved a chance to knock off the all mighty Jordan in the finals.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

'92-'93.. Prime Hakeem trumps all and since champ squads aren't an option.
    HM- '08-'09.. gritty team with plenty talent. Injuries did us in.
    Too young to remember anything 80's, but I imagine Twin Towers would've been fun to see. Hakeem's athletic + super talented Sampson