1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which is the best Game of Thrones episode?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by crash5179, Jun 16, 2016.

?

Which is the Best Episode?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2016.
  1. Baelor

2.9%
  2. The Battle of Blackwater

10.0%
  3. And Now His Watch Has Ended

1.4%
  4. The Rains of Castamer

22.9%
  5. The Lion and the Rose

1.4%
  6. The Mountain and the Viper

5.7%
  7. The Watchers on the Wall

8.6%
  8. The Children

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Hardhome

34.3%
  10. The Door

12.9%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

So which is the best?

Season 1:
    Baelor was the 1st episode where GRRM demonstrated that there are no sacred characters in his series of books. Ned Stark seemed to be the lead character in the series for the entire 1st season only to lose his head in episode 9 while his daughters watched.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PW6wfXPeJTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 2:
    The Battle of Blackwater is the 1st Epic type of battle scene that I remember. Great speech be Tyrion and great battle scene.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZvwUZtuzlHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 3:
    And Now His Watch Has Ended was the episode that Jeor Mormont the Lord Commander of the Nights Watch was murdered by the his own men at Crastors keep. It was also the episode where Deanarys finally became a real player in the game. This was the episode that she got the Unsullied and killed the Masters of Astapor and Drogon burnt one of them to a crisp.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oo76MWvzHzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Rains of Castamer was by for the most controversial episode in the series. As if killing off Ned Stark wasn't enough GRRM kills off the Rob Stark, his pregnant wife, Grey Wind, Caitland Stark and most of the Northern Army in one Red Wed Wedding scene.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/faGXzoXuwRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 4:
    The Lion and the Rose is the episode most of us had been waiting for, the death of Joffrey.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MbMFLDb3CbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mountain and the Viper was the battle for Tyrions life. The two best warriors in the series at the time squared off against each other but the Viper dominated the Mountain in almost every way. Unfortunately the Viper was hell bent on getting a confession from the Mountain before he finished him off which proved to be his downfall and the end of one of the favorite characters in the series.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OONy1sGyqpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Watchers on the Wall was more like an hour long movie than a series episode. The whole episode was one huge scene after another. The scene where Jon tells Grenn to hold the gate and then when Grenn holds the Gate was one of the best scenes in the series but so was several other scenes in this episode. I could pick out any one of a dozen scenes in this episode as one of the best on the series.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/srqfZ5nMwE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Children had the death of Jojen and the introduction of the Children. We also got to see Brianne kick the crap out of the Hound.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zJo8BkjhQJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 5:
    Hardhome was the 1st major battle with the White Walkers since the battle at the Fist of the First Men. Its the first episode that Jon sees the Nights King and witnesses his power.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/69adFkWfv9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Door or maybe "Hold the Door" as in Hodor. A brilliantly done episode and one of the most heartbreaking scenes in the series.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Txw0OmHo6ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 crash5179, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Pretty solid and obvious list.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

honestly, with the sheer number of episodes I don't know how you can pick...there are also multiple story lines going on.

The 3rd book is agreed to be the best, that's about all you can really say.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I voted for The Watchers on the Wall but Hardhome might be the one to beat. Jon Snow standing in the boat looking back at the White Walkers as the Nights Kings raised the dead was such a powerful scene to go along with great action.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

You want the impossible.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

For me...

Hardhome > Red Wedding > Mountain and Viper > the rest

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Battle of Blackwater for me. Epic speech by Tyrion. The Hound says "**** the king." Stannis the mannis pushes forward while Joffrey hides. I thought the use of anchor chain was especially impressive along with the Wildfire.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The first episode. That's when I said to myself, "Damn! This is actually going to be good!" I had read the novels and was quite pessimistic. The novels are very, very long, and it would have been so easy to **** up the entire series. They didn't. I'm still amazed.

I agree that the Blackwater episode was epic. Just superb acting from everyone involved. That's something else they could have blown, and didn't. I'll add that the casting for this entire production has been outstanding. Simply outstanding.

9. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

No Tyrion trial epoisode?

[Youtube]e4Uq8O5ZhUA[/youtube]

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't know if it's the "best" episode, but I stayed up for like 3 hours thinking about how The Mountain and The Viper ended.

11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Voted The Lion and the Rose. Joff's death was a relief. The Watchers on the Wall is a close second for me.

It's too early for this type of poll though with two episodes remaining this season and the entire final season too.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hardhome for me

13. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

S1 E4 Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things

That episode always sticks out in my mind. It was when i had know nothing really about the GOT universe I started to get a little bored with the show and that episode got me to buy in all the way.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

No respect for Littlefingers "The Climb" episode? I have been wanting to rewatch it as it perfectly sums up what his character is all about and is done so well with his monologue going on about "Chaos being a ladder" while he is climbing a ladder. I don't really remember the whole episode but that 3 minute scene or whatever is the most memorable for me other than the fight/killing episodes as it was deep and shows insight into one of the underrated masterminds of the whole show. Anyone else with me? I might try to watch that one tonight to see if I remember it correctly.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

For me it was definitely the episode where Ned Stark lost his head. For non-book readers like myself, there's no way anyone could've ever imagined that happening.

Also, I really liked the episode when the Night's Watch fought off the wildlings attacking the wall.

16. HookemHorns1250

It's hard to put a finger on the best "Episode". To me it comes down to "certain moments" that may last 5-10 minutes, and the rest of the episode may be dull. So it's tough.

Il go with the first episode where I first found out anyone could go, and that's episode ten season 1 If I remember correctly.

However Tyrions trial scene will always be my favorite scene of the show as of now.

17. HookemHorns1250

That was an incredible scene. The music in the background furring little fingers talk was flat out haunting. Add that to how eerie little finger sounds, and what he says, was amazing.

18. The Stig

The Stig Member

Baelor was the first game changer episode for me.

Blackwater and Watchers on the Wall are my favorite.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I remember watching Episode 9 and as they were about to execute him, I turned to my wife and said: if they don't kill him, this is any other show and I stop watching now. Boom, I was hooked.

The red wedding was, IMO, one of the greatest scenes in the history of television. I really didn't want those people to be killed. It took so much to get there, and it was masterful moving on from it. The rhythm with which they executed the story in that episode was a work of art from cinematography to set design to dialogue to editing to music it was really just incredible to watch.

For me, that was the opposite of Joffrey's death. I thought that was done so poorly, it was really an amateurish piece of storytelling.

Similarly, last season was so effing boring to me, I was really really disappointed. It was incredibly predictable and they were stretching out the suspense clumsily for unnecessarily long periods of time. Thankfully they seem to have learned from it and this season is a bit of a bounce back.

If you read the book, you missed out IMO. I read parts of the books recently to compare and frankly the books don't do the story justice most of the time. There's so much boring stuff in the book, thankfully a good amount of it is left out of the show.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There seems to be a definite bias toward the big battle episodes. Really doesn't do it for me. I voted Baelor because I watched Season 1 before I was a book-reader and it was such a shock it hooked me on the show and got me to read the books. In that regard, I think the show actually does a better job in that it makes Ned more the primary character for the season then the book does, making his death the more surprising. Red Wedding would be runner-up, and the show experience for me may have been somewhat dampened because I was a book-reader by then.

Ridiculous. The book does pretty much everything better than the show. The only exception is that the show has made a couple of editing choices -- like taking away Tyrion's prowess in fighting, and shortening Arya's circuitous wandering -- that didn't really fly in the book. Other editing choices they could have made though -- like editing out the Sand Snakes -- they didn't make. And, I suppose there are more boobs in the show than in the book. But most of the boring stuff the show edited out was actually great stuff and the books are the more rich for it. I ended up regretting reading ahead of the show because the books make the show pale by comparison.