1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what most people are overlooking

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Cliffnote, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Cliffnote

Cliffnote Member

okay so i told a small fib...people havent been overlooking shandons departure and the need for a sf or center (possibly a pf). What i think most people are overlooking is the fact that we have no legit backup sg. (i dont consider moving steve to the two and moochie at the point) we need a solid player who can back up at the two with our 18th or 23rd pick...i like forte and hassel but i think they may be undersized (considering that cat is already undersized) Heres who i would pick, o and brace urselves, Gerald Wallace! Yeah yeah "he has no shot." but thats something that can improve and we take a chance on a possible superstar who coming out of high school was considered the best prospect in year. Hes a work horse and i know that he will improve his shot. He fits in our uptempo offense and can play backup sg and possibly sf. Hes a gamble but someone we need to gamble on

13 pick:

------------------

2. Cliffnote

Cliffnote Member

sorry accidentally sent the post before it was completed...

13th-Richard Jefferson
    18th-Gerald Wallace
    23rd-Ken Johnson

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

As long as we have Steve, we don't need a backup two. If you want Steve to play 40 minutes a game, like most do, Mooch is only going to get 8 minutes per game if you actually acquire a backup SG. And I'll take Mooch anyday over guys in the draft such as Forte, Wallace, Hassell, etc. Mooch's value to this team is underrated by so many posters on this board, and we would not be near the team we are if not for his presence. Acquiring a backup SG would significantly limit his minutes, and that is not something the Rockets will consider. All you need in the NBA at the guard spots are three solid players, one of which that is versatile enough to play both PG and SG. If you have 3 guards, there will be good time for everyone, and you don't need a 4th unless you want your lineup to look good when you write it down on paper. Want some evidence? Look at the last 3 teams that remained in the NBA this year-- only 3 guards played significant minutes. With the Lakers, it's Fisher, Kobe, and Shaw. With the Sixers, it's McKie, Iverson, and Snow. With the Bucks, it was Cassell, Allen, and Hunter. Yes, of course these teams have guys like Ron Harper, Kevin Ollie, Rafer Alston on their rosters. But what difference does it make if they won't ever play? You need 3 solid guards to be set in the backcourt. We have that, and there's no need to even consider a guard (I'd wager to bet the Rockets don't even consider working out one) in this draft. This team does not need a backup SG unless you want the lineup to look good on paper, and not on the court.

P.S.-- I don't think even Gerald Wallace "knows" that he can improve his shot. Wishful thinking there.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

4. silent j

silent j Member

82 games is a long way to go with only 3 guards on the roster....
    j

------------------
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

5. MManal

MManal Member

silent j, the Rockets arent going to have only 3 guards on the roster, but they will not blow a 1st rounder on some imaginary need. I suppose your comment is referring to possible injuries? They will probably just keep someone like Sean Colson as the 12th man or on injured reserve if anything is to happen to Steve, Moochie or Cuttino. However, Steve and Cuttino are both capable of and deserve 37-40 MPG, and Moochie should get 20-25 MPG.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think a swing man would be nice though. That's why I like Jefferson over Morris. He can play the 3 or 2 and the rocks would be less succeptable to defensive mismatches, which is one huge problem they had last year. I think Rudy likes those multi-position players too. So I guess Johnson would be high on the list also. So yeah, back up 2 is necessary, but not as much as the 3 and the post, but it'd be nice to have a 3 that can swing over from time to time.

------------------
    "I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time."
    -Marilyn Monroe

7. TIburon

TIburon Member

Good post Kim... I also think Jefferson can play guys like Kobe at the 2 while Cat is out there at the SG. Morris is a good player but Jefferson is just better....overall. Don't think we'll keep more than 1 of those 1st rd. picks. Too much money that must be given to 1st rounders.

------------------

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it's kind of odd that an up-tempo team would only have 3 guards. however i'm more concerned about finding a backup for mooch if steve is injured.

------------------

9. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

We shoud pick Joe Johnson he is 6-9 he can play 1,2,3 he is great all around player he has a great shot and he is just like odom we have to pick him and than we dont need to worry about our guards problem.
    we should draft

13 . Joe Johnson
    18 . Jason Collins
    23 . Gerald Wallace

------------------

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wallace has reportedly skipped the Desert Classic because he feels he is already a lottery pick .

------------------

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think Wallace's agent is bs'ing him. There's no way Gerald goes earlier than 15.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Wallace: I think too many people are making a big deal out of his shot. Miles doesn't have a shot, either, but is considered by many to become the best of the last class. I don't necessarily think the rockets need him, but I could see him going late lottery to late 1st.

On Backup 2: The Sf would have to be able to backup the 2. I heard Langhi played some 2 late last season. How did he do?

------------------