1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Westbrook's percentage from the 3-point line ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

... when, instead of taking the shot, he drives to the basket? Just eyeballing it from my couch, I could swear he scores on at least 60% of those plays. That's equivalent to shooting 40% from the arc. And I'm not even counting the and-1's, which should be factored in.

Even when defenders back off, inviting him to take the 3, he seems fully capable of blowing right by them. So it's not like he has to take the 3 now and then to keep them honest. He can just treat every open 3 as an invitation to drive.

I would seriously like to know whether the Rockets are tracking this stat. If Russ can spread the court and then score 1.2 points per possession after receiving the ball, I could care less how he does it.

D-rock, kevtse, Corrosion and 7 others like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You're not the only one to notice. It's why I'd prefer him to take even less mid-range shots. The reality is, his layup/dunk attempt is always a more efficient shot than any type of jumper.

I need to hear "Russell with the hustle" more, and "clank" less.

saleem and malakas like this.
  3. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I don't know what that stat looks like exactly, but I have noticed Russ has been on a streak of better shooting (averaging 35 points on 55% overall) combined with almost no 3 point attempts (6 total) in the last 7 games he's played. I hope he keeps this up!

32 pts, 1 3pa, 46%
    39 pts, 3 3pa, 55%
    32 pts, 1 3pa, 48%
    45 pts, 0 3pa, 59%
    28 pts, 0 3pa, 44%
    32 pts, 1 3pa, 67%
    35 pts, 0 3pa, 65%

AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is due to our 4x4 strategy vs double teams/traps, and some ppl want to tell me that's not a strategy.

btw: Watch Portland now. Lillard is hanging back watching his team go 4x4 after passing out of double teams, just like Rockets do. That's two coaches now.

LiLlArd DoEs NoThInG wItHoUt ThE bAlL

Patience, Will, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Interesting. Aren't those rising percentages basically a function of proximity to the basket? i.e., it's not exactly that he's shooting better, it's that he's shooting less, and laying it up more?

6. dmoneybangbang

Well he does catch and shoot about twice as much as Harden.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

have you watched them recently?

He's only recently been shadowed 30-40' out without the ball from doubles and traps constantly like Harden.

I'm not talking about history ... I'm talking about defensive strategy responded to by offensive strategy. The 4x4 strategy can't happen until defense does it.

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Well, I was thinking it was an indication of exactly that, but I'll have to trust your eye test (and I do), because I haven't been able to see the games. I've been wanting to post this observation, and this seemed like the right place for it. This is the change in Westbrook (if it truly is a long-lasting change) that I think many have wanted to see.

Will likes this.