1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is even the point of Russ Westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 8, 2019.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The reason we got WB is because CP3 couldn't do this last season.

RocketRoller likes this.
  2. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

What's hilarious is a moronic statement that... "Westbrook ****ing sucks"....He does not, period. So everything you say after that is what I'd expect from any typical self glorifying profit (which we have plenty) Good fit? We'll see...simple.

"The go-ahead shot by Westbrook was the 15th for him over the past three seasons, the most in the NBA during that span, according to ESPN Stats & Info"..."

The NBA defines clutch stats as the final five minutes of a game when neither team is ahead by more than five points.

Westbrook is fourth this season in total points scored in those situations with 108 points. He ranks third in field-goals made, third in three-point field goals made and is tied for first in assists as well. 2018

spin it however you like, but "suck" would not be in this category.

Congrats, your credibility=0

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not suck but he is also not worth super max money, not right now at least.

We'll see by the end of the season, he might get back to his superstar self.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you watched Chris Paul?

Westbrook looks AMAZING in comparison. (If we really want to analyze preseason games)

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

he looked pretty damn good in his okc debut, if we're really going this route lol

6. StevieCrossover

Westbrook is in H town to pass the ball to Harden and get out of his way.

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

As good as 5 turnovers in 17 minutes can look right?

hakeem94 and Air Yordan like this.
  8. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

While I do think Westbrook is an upgrade over Paul, I would've liked tho have given last year's team one more chance with no Super Warriors in the way.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah anyone who didn't actually watch would just look at that and assume he looked terrible. if you think that's bad oh boy wb has got something for houston.

10. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

So far in the 2 games against Toronto, he's shown what we've come to expect from his game: Explosiveness and questionable decision-making for when to shoot his jumper. There were at least 3-4 plays where I was blown away by just how athletic he is (things cp3 could never dream of in terms of finishing at the rim). But at the same time, you look at some of his 3pt attempts and I thought "he could make it ... but probably not." The beauty of cp3's game is that he's using so much more patience and will call for the re-screen until he sees a better shot for himself, whereas it feels like Russ might just take any shot that has a sliver of daylight. Of course cp3 is limited at his age, but even with that (and last year's inefficient year from him), it's a lot more comfortable seeing cp3 shoot than Russ in the half court. On the flip side, our pace is a lot faster w/Russ, and our team might get a lot more overall better shots in such a pace than the slow-down from the past 2 years. Again, some of those finishes at the rim opens up other possibilities that we didn't have last year.

If only, Russ could just take a page out of cp3's book and when in the half court, exercise a bit more patience/discipline. If he does, along with all his natural strengths, then we're a significantly better team than last year and almost equal to cp3's first year with us in terms of dominance.

45koolly likes this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If he made all the 3's he took how would he ever get enough rebounds for a triple double?

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I watched and he looked mediocre, slow and small. Like a very expensive Chris Duhon... :D

We'll see about that. When we are 18-2 I hope to see you kissing the ring.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

18-2? is that your standard? that's odd. I mean since you wanted to bring up to's, im just saying that doesn't really help wb's case when hes been one of the league leaders in that category for the last several years

and wb looked like wb. incredibly inefficient and still can't shoot

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think everyone agrees that 2017 CP3 was the best PG in the NBA. He might even be a better player overall than Harden when he is right.

But last year's CP3 was very, VERY different. The guy was afraid to shoot open shots against GSW, he could not accelerate past Andrew Bogut or Kev Looney. .270 from three in the playoffs, and we still almost advanced.

Westbrook has an historically amazing box score +- in the playoffs, and he is smack dab in his prime. I think we will be okay. MadMax wasn't efficient either, but he was a tough as nails and had the confidence to shoot big shots. You guys might hate it, but I hope Russ stays cocky. As soon as I saw CP3 "Ryno out" against GSW and refuse to take open ones, I was ready to move on.

45koolly, Red Chocolate and hakeem94 like this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Inefficient, yet is one of the all-time leaders in team efficiency and boxscore +- when he is on the floor. (In the playoffs too)

So in a way, he is very efficient.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Did you know Harden & Westbrook grew up together in LA?
    Did you also know Josh Smith & Dwight Howard played on the same AAU team?
    I guess what I'm saying is Harden & Westy are besties. ;)

hakeem94 and RudyTBag like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

the last couple years definitely not and that's what many of us are concerned about. its been terrible

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Hmm. seems you can't understand the context. Let me qualify my statement.

Obviously the turnovers themselves don't matter on a macro-level, but 5 of them in 17 minutes with two other PGs on the floor next to you is a bit worrisome. What worries me most about CP3 though is the lack of testicles he displayed in the playoffs last year, and his inability to drive past Andrew Bogut.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

He's the second coming of Pablo Prigioni.

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Could you graph that for us please?

Deckard and RudyTBag like this.