1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Does Harden Know that We Don't?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mav-Hater, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Rockets' James Harden 'excited' about new coach Mike D'Antoni's arrival
    http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-James-Harden-excited-about-new-coach-7958087.php

The selection of Mike D'Antoni as Rockets coach will not have to win the approval of guard James Harden. Harden, who had been kept abreast throughout the coaching search, endorsed the pick in an appearance as the first guest of teammate Jason Terry's radio show.
    "I'm excited," Harden said on Sirius XM on Wednesday. "I'm excited about the opportunity. I've been hearing great things about him, what he brings to our team. Obviously, our assistant coaches (Jeff Bzdelik and Roy Rogers) as well. A new beginning and I'm excited about the opportunity.
    "I'm excited about what D'Antoni brings to our team. Bzdelik is a great defensive-minded coach coming from Memphis who is going to help our defensive schemes. Then the players we're going to get, it's set up as a great season for our team next year."
    Terry immediately told Harden he thought D'Antoni's offense would fit especially well for Harden, comparing Harden's playmaking to Steve Nash's when Nash was D'Antoni's point guard with the Phoenix Suns.
    "I told people D'Antoni works perfectly for James," Terry said. "If you look at your numbers, you're primarily, basically, the point guard for the Houston Rockets. You fill up the stat sheet. The ball's in your hands 90 percent of the time. It's kind of similar to what Steve Nash was able to do his two years in Phoenix where he became the two-time MVP. You're right there on the cusp."
    Harden was ninth in the MVP voting this season after finishing as the runner-up in 2014-15. He was not on any of the All NBA teams, prompting Terry to read Harden's statistics and calling Harden's exclusion "a travesty." Harden averaged 29 points, 7.5 assists and 6.1 rebounds last season.
    "That's something I've been thinking about," Harden said. "It wasn't a good year. I guess the media was looking at it like the Rockets are coming off the Western Conference Finals and fighting for the eighth seed. We're still in the playoffs. With all the things that happened this year, all the negativity, we still had an opportunity to make the playoffs.
    "That's extra motivation for me to come back and be a better basketball player overall. I'm not down on myself. I know what I bring to the table. That's another reason why I'm more excited about what we have next year as far as coaching plans and players we have coming in. More motivation for me. I want to get back in the gym, better myself and everything will work itself out."

In this interview from the Chron, Harden is excited about the players we're going to get. Anyone know who he's talking about?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Horford and Durant

3. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

He's just speculating that they will add some players in the offseason which they will. I doubt he knows about any specific player.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They said there would be roster changes, so it could just mean we're going to get some new players.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mauri has promised him two big fish. Let's see if the triple chin can fulfill his promises

6. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

That's what I think too, but if anyone would know it would be him..

My guess is he knows for sure that Dudley will come. He and dudley seem to have a nice rapport going, Dudley has said a dozen times how good Harden is and has expressed his desire to play with him.

I don't think Durant is a chance in hell, but perhaps he's been talking to Horford and Conley?

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

durant to houston confirmed
    itshappening.gif

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lebron and Durant obviously.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Everything will work itself out.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The idea that we'll have new players coming in is exciting. What does Harden know that we don't? NM.. that's the thread title.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

durant and horford to max. conley mini max

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's just playing it safe and saying all the right things. Yawn.

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

All the sarcasm aside, we're going to have 40 fricken million dollars of play money to go spend after the 99% probability that Howard opts out. So yes. There will be some major upgrades to the roster.

D'Antoni, I think was doing the polite, status quo thing to do by listing off player by player, but no one is really safe except Harden. Side note, what pissed me off was when Daryl Morey helped remind D'Antoni by side-murmuring "pssst Corey Brewer." Yeah, hell no. I don't care how fast he runs and at what speed he can sometimes finish a layup. He has to be gone.

Now, D'Antoni 1st mentioned Beverley and Ariza. Respectively last year their 3p% was .400 & .371. That's something D'Antoni can work with. But we need a lights out shooter. We need a 2004 era Sun's Joe Johnson & Jim Jackson. Joe Johnson was lights out from the 3, .478.... the likes of Kyle Korver. Jackson's clip was .459. Those guys and Nash helped the team average versus guys like Richardson & Marion.

Suns were #1 in 3s, 3 attempts and 3p% with the following:

Quentin Richardson .358, 631 attempts
    Joe Johnson, .478, 370 attempts
    Shawn Marion, .334, 341 attempts
    Steve Nash, .431, 218 attempts
    Jim Jackson, .459, 148 attempts (in only 40 games)
    Leandro Barbosa, .367, 139 attempts

You can get on YouTube and watch tons of MDA SSOL offensive schemes, offensive sets....you know...the kind of stuff that Mchale self-admitted was completely absent in his "wing it" "read & react offense." Usually what our offense was reading from the opposing defense was "we know y'all ain't got sh**, so we're gonna spread in a way to let y'all engage y'all's obvious as hell tendencies." And we would react with a TO or a cheesy last second perimeter bullet pass from Harden for a rushed 3.

So my hope is that sophisticated offensive schemes with pretty ball movement begets better 3p% shooting from anyone from our existing roster that does stay, mainly Bev & Trev. Bev really improved last year. Trev has always been a disappointment with his 3pt shooting coming from his last year with the Wizards.

#14 cdrive, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Where the Friday night specials are going to be in LA this weekend

16. Aydge

Aydge Member

I saw the same article and thought the same thing as OP.

The obvious answer is... he knows WAY more than we do and he's in a position where he shouldn't be saying anything. But besides the last guys on the roster and the mechanisms Morey will use, I'm sure Harden knows exactly what big pieces are coming and going.

17. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I knew I forgot to highlight something. That was the main line I meant to highlight because it's like he knows who's coming already!!

18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

There going to free birds after the tank

[​IMG] ;)

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

He's just guessing/hoping/wishing like Les a few summers ago.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]