1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what do you guys think? rafer vs rockets PG's?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wingcommander87, Apr 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. wingcommander87

Rafer vs rockets PG's

Rafer
    Min FG 3Pt FT Ast TO Stl BS PF Pts
    31:26 4-11 3-6 4-4 3 3 0 1 2 15

Brooks
    25:00 3-8 1-3 4-4 2 3 0 0 1 11

Lowry
    24:17 2-7 2-2 1-2 2 0 1 1 0 7

none of our guys shot well and they padded their stats by some garbage free throws at the end. Rafer did as rafer does. All in all i was disappointed by our point guards. Remember morey said lowry was an "upgrade" from rafer. All I see our similar stats.So who did you think won the PG battle?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Got to factor in Lue too.....

They won the PG battle, the Rockets won the war.

I want the war !

DD

3. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i wish lowry would look for his shot more. i know his jumper is weak but if he had a move to get his shot off he'd be perfect. also he picked up his dribble before he knew where to go with it, gave me flashbacks of steve francis. :D

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Lol, it is 1 game. Not really a big deal or anything to judge anyone by. I'd say our guys are at least young, they make some dumb mistakes, but they are young and quick. Rafer makes dumb mistakes but he is old.

I feel we got the better of the trade outside of stats still.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Rockets had a relatively poor game from their PG tandem. This is the 2nd game where both players played poorly(at least Lowry hit his 3's). First time was in LA. All the other games where both played, at least one had a solid game. Less than 10% of the time, your PG spot has a bad game. Thats not TOOO bad. Sure, its not like having Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or Jason Kidd on the floor, but not everyone has those guys.

6. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Rafer suck as usual. I am glad he's not with the team anymore. His shooting % is terrible from outside very inconsistent. He can't do a layup. Did you see his floater? Terrible. Probably the worst in the league.

7. 3rdRingsAComin

Rafer sucks, just wish we would have traded him to a team in the West so we could play him more often

8. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

rafer and lue definitely outplayed our point guards, but i don't regret the trade. rafer was valued mostly for his stabilizing effect on the team, and several times this season lowry has stepped in the 4th quarter to stabilize us now. lowry is younger and can finish better, so maybe he can exceed his role as a stabilizer and turn into an moderate offensive threat. we'll see...

9. seanluu

seanluu Member

Thank You! Winning the game is all that matters.

10. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

The Rockets traded him to a team they would prefer trading him to--to a team in the other conference. You know as well as I know that teams only prefer trading players of theirs to teams in the other conference, which is reality.

I would say that Rafer's shooting performance tonight reminded us what he is still all about, which is a bricklayer at best, so therefore, there's no reason for any one of us Rocket fans to miss him for the seasons to come, let alone for the remainder of this season and the playoffs.

I would find it rather difficult to think that a team with Rafer being their starting point guard would at least make it to the NBA Finals even though he is with the Orlando Magic, and in that weak Eastern Conference.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think I saw the same old Rafer Alston miss three wide open threes and put absolutely no offensive pressure on our defense. I think we were able to smother Howard in the paint because of this and shut him down.

I do not miss Alston's game.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I wouldn't say Rafer sucks. He is an excellent ball handler and defensive point guard. He has problems with a consistent offense, but as a whole, he is a very solid guard and can facilitate his teammates at a near elite level.

Personally I DO miss Alston's game in certain point guard match ups. He could handle Deron Williams better then anyone we have now and against experienced point guards like Nash, Parker and others, Rafer wouldn't have to rely on his athletics (not that he really could) to beat them like Brooks and Lowry currently have to.

13. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

although having been in Orlando for a while, Rafer still looks like a typical rockets PG.

14. redao

redao Member

too bad, to dump such a solid PG, we had to take back Cook's contract.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You can look at stat lines until hell freezes over. The answer to the Rockets' success without McGrady and Alston is that they are better in transitIon O. They play at a faster tempo.

Sura, Jon Barry, Wesley, et al were decent. But Brooks and Lowery surrounded by Wafer, Artest, Brent Barry and Scolandry are the best transition O the Rox have had in a decade plus.

If all Alston has to do is pass the ball to the post, hit an open shot when he's left wide open (and there is a reason he's left wide open) and occassionally clog a passing lane on defense, he'll come across as "passable". Jameer Nelson is so much more capable in transition and finishing, it'll be interesting to see how much Rafer whines when he plays 10 mpg next season.