1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook wins games we wouldn't have won in the past

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Dec 21, 2019.

1. smp

smp Member

You are right. If CP3 was on the Rockets we would be expecting him to do the heavy lifting, which is what his salary requires. He is getting star player money.

You don’t pay that kind of money for a damn facilitator, which is what he is now.

So glad we unloaded his bloated contract. I’d love to have him back, at 1/3 the salary though.

roslolian, Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The numbers are clear for Westbrook....

First 19 games played

21.7/8.1/7.3 on .399/.216/.737 splits .477 TS% .428 EFG 99 ortg 109 drtg

Last 7 games played

29.3/7.9/7.1 on .507/.310/.880 splits .596 TS% .537 EFG 117 ortg 111 drtg

He was off to an absolutely god awful start. But the last 7 have been absolutely spectacular.

Here’s to hoping the last 7 are more indicative of what we get in the future.

3. JW86

JW86 Member

The idea that he was awful before is factually not true, people need to stop spreading this nonsense. But if that gets you to appreciate him playing great lately, keep telling yourself that.

roslolian, hakeem94 and mario_v like this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

This is usually time in Rockets history when the player who is starting to put it all together goes down with a injury :(

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

How is it factually not true?

look at what @jordnnnn posted

First 19 games played

21.7/8.1/7.3 on .399/.216/.737 splits .477 TS% .428 EFG 99 ortg 109 drtg

So your interpretation of those numbers is what? That he was ballin? He had a few pretty good games in that 19 game stretch, but overall, how is it not factual to say that those numbers are pretty awful? Don’t say something isn’t factual and then provide zero reasoning for why that is. If he kept up that level of performance for the entire season we would be fcked. So why was Westbrook actually not that bad?

HP3, harold bingo, Williamson and 2 others like this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Those percentages are Corey Brewer level bad.

I'm glad Westbrook is looking like an MVP caliber talent again. I hope it stays that way. I have to admit I was worried he was totally washed. I'm really hoping he proves me as wrong as possible.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Typical have-it-both-ways CF post:
    "He sucks, but I really really hope I'm wrong!"

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

no one can claim that those numbers aren’t terrible with a straight face, all u can do is attempt to explain why he was so bad

I was worried that his brain had been left back in OKC...dude was playing dumb as hell

with Russ, I always kept 2 main things in mind

1) he was rehabbing all summer, and didn’t even get cleared for full-contact 5 on 5 until the end of training camp, so it was gonna take him awhile for him to find his groove

2) his finishing at the rim was excellent, so if he could just smarten up a bit and accept that he’s not the shooter he thinks he is, he could be pretty damn effective...Harden was giving him 4 on 3 opportunities...that is something even a trash offensive player like Draymond can feast on, so someone like Russ should be having the easiest time of his life...before it seemed like it was 50-50 whether he would drive to the rim or pull up for the brick...lately it seems like it’s 80-20 which is a very good thing

also, I did think his fcked up fingers were clearly bothering him...he’s not the best ball handler in the world, but his handle seemed pretty loose at times...it was probably affecting his shot as well to start the season

his free throw percentage has been climbing steadily as the season has progressed, and as his fingers improve, hopefully he becomes a 30-32% 3 point shooter instead of the 20-22% shooter we’d been seeing

u can win a title with the Russ we’ve seen the past 10 games or so

The Russ we saw the 1st 19 games? That’s a 1st or 2nd round exit for sure.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

we’re better then we were last year I think that’s pretty clear. If we just go from the numbers are record is a lot better at Christmas our def is better offense is top 3 rebounding is better.

not 2 years ago we’re not better.

but don’t forget that Cp3 didn’t even play the first 18-20 games that season and we got off to an incredible start with just harden and the gang.

what do ppl think if we had handled business against the kings and the first spurs game only and are 22-7 sitting in 2nd place and a game back from first?

we haven’t been bad we’ve had some bad losses to bad teams.

and we don’t have our 3rd best scorer playing yet hopefully he’s back soon after the New Year.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I expect the Rockets to have a great season.
    I think we are still getting better
    Game to Game

Rocket River

RudyTBag and roslolian like this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What's wrong with that? How am I supposed to react if I'm a fan of the team, I want them to win, but they get a player that I think is bad? Am I supposed to pretend I think he's good?

MrButtocks, Nook and YOLO like this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Now you're getting it...

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

See, that is an interesting statement. It basically aligns with what @Nook was saying with regards to the Rockets needing to add 1 or 2 more players. An athletic 4/5 that can shoot and perhaps another defensive wing. For this Rockets team to be a title contender, they need the right personnel to maximize their system. They are short of those players. They had them in the 65 win group. Personnel matters and moves at the margins matter.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  14. Williamson

Correction. He did suck. He's been very good lately. And I'm hoping he continues to prove me wrong. And wtf? Of course I want to be wrong about him. I have detested Westbrook for years. Now he's brought everything I didn't like about him to our team; but he's a Rocket. How in the world is it unreasonable for me to think trading for him was a mistake but, as a Rockets fan first, hope he proves me wrong?

harold bingo and omgTHEpotential like this.
  15. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

D-rock, TimDuncanDonaut and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Williamson

Okay, good point. But I'm a Rockets fan before I'm a Westbrook hater. BUT OKAY YOU GOT ME!!!!

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

What's the alternative, "He sucks, and I really hope the team struggles to prove my point!"? I'd rather see fans be somewhat hopeful even if they disagree with team moves.

YOLO likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if i recall well EG had a lot of stretches like that in past, a usual take would describe him as playing good but in a shooting slump or 'not a net negative'... but surely not awful

#98 hakeem94, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  19. Williamson

And when he does there are many around here who wish to crucify him as well as many others calling for him to be traded. Maybe we're a bit overzealous at times but that's what fandom is, right?

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Greedydex

Greedydex Member

Glad you admitted to being bias towards. I can just take what you say with a grain of salt. Lol

hakeem94 likes this.