1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vent/Advice Please

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by trueroxfan, Dec 27, 2012.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

So I left Houston for Austin at 6:30 last night.

I was listening to the game on the radio, then remembered I could DVR from my phone. I got real excited because I wasn't going to miss the game, and I was going to be in my very comfortable bed (the bed at my parents house is a friggin rock). I got in around 9:30, stopped at Taco Bell, drove home, got all my crap out, went to unlock the door and noticed there was condensation on the window. I said that's strange because there was no humidity outside.

I open the door.

At first I was like, did my dumb ass leave a faucet running? Did the Wet Bandits come and rob my house? I go to turn on the light and feel condensation all over the walls. So I don't turn on the lights, put on my flashlight, and omfg my ceiling is about to colllapse in my kitchen. The light fixture was filled with water and was sagging at like a 30 degree angle. The ceiling had 3 huge pockets of water. There were two holes already ripped through, and there was water all over the floor. My TV was covered in condensation, my computer the same.

The thing is, this happened about 6 weeks ago, to another pipe. Only that time, I went in the shower in the morning, the water pressure dropped, I came out and it sounded like it was raining, only the rain was coming down in my kitchen.

So twice in 6 weeks. FML.

Now to my question if anyone has bothered to read this far:
    I signed a 6 month lease in Jan, then in July when I got a full time job, I agreed to another 12 months. The leasing agent is a nice guy, I knew him from college, so I don't want to get him in trouble. However, I never signed a new lease for the next 12 months. They just never brought it for me to sign, I asked, they kept forgetting.

Am I legally obligated to remain on that lease? Or since it isn't in writing, can I back out? Or can I back out because of the issues with the integrity of the house?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Depends on how your lease reads. For example, we have a rental house and the lease is for 12 months. If at the end of 12 months, I neglect to have them sign a new lease, it simply continues to roll over month to month until a lease is signed or they leave.

I'll have to check our lease to see the wording regarding major issues such that you described.

1 person likes this.
  3. Classic

Classic Member

You might have to give 30 or 60 days notice. You need a copy of the original lease.

How old is this house? Sounds like there is a lack of preventive maintenance. Next thing you know you'll come home and the house will be burnt down from faulty wiring.

#3 Classic, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

That's usually how it is, if you don't renew and didn't give a notice, it rolls over to month to month. But in his case, he asked for a lease renewal and they never gave him one. So he may be able to get out on a technicality. But even if not, the most you'd still have to stay there is for another month.

1 person likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Most likely you are free to leave. If you have a deposit (which I assume you do), I would be worried about getting back, though legally you should get it back.

Verbal agreements can be binding, but hard to enforce.

1 person likes this.
  6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I had a dream last night that this leak would cause an electric fire and when I go over there today it is going to be surrounded by firetrucks.

I wish I could tell you what my lease read, but I NEVER GOT ONE! I asked for it every single time I saw the leasing agent.

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It's really too bad, the place is in a great neighborhood, so close to DT that it takes my less than 7 minutes in the morning to get to work.

They are supposed to come out at 11 today and they will let me know how long they anticipate the fix will take. The owner still hasn't returned my calls or messages.