1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m going to donate
    All the other Clutchfans elites here should do too

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Enough about roundup weekend, tell us what the plans are for our next coach.

#12882 mtbrays, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Candidates besides Meyer?

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Chris Petersen would be an excellent hire if it’s not Urban. Ironically the 2 best candidates are Free Agents would certainly help from a buyout standpoint.

PJ Fleck will be a blue blood hire soon but I’m not sold as others are. Then again I thought Herman was a home run hire.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Why would Meyer be interested in UT?

The program is in a conference that has progressively deteriorated. UT has finished the season ranked only 3 times over the last 11 years and has only finished in the top 15 once. The Horns are 73-59 the last 11 years.

Someone like Meyer can likely go to a top 5-10 program in the nation if he wants to come out.

Maybe I am wrong but I don’t see the program as being as appealing as some fans do or as it has been in the past.

mtbrays, Rudyc281, King1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

Agree with this - I'm not sure what the upside for Meyer is here. He's already openly commented about how terrible UT player development has been, so he'd come into a team he doesn't think has very good players - when he could pretty much have any job he wants. After you've won national titles in the SEC and B10, I'm not sure what the appeal is of coming to the B12 and playing a bunch of no-name opponents most weeks.

Rudyc281, King1, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Only thing I'd comment on is the "5-10 program". Regularly ranked 5-10 programs aren't looking for a coach. "Historical" 5-10 programs leaves you with Florida State and UT...maybe who else?

But I still wish they had gone straight from Mack to Gary Patterson, so what do I know?

eta: bigtime programs have been down for a long time before. Even in the SEC, if you can believe it.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Big time programs certainly have been down before. There was a time when Bama wasn’t all that wonderful a couple decades ago.

I don’t think UT is historically a top 5 program. Maybe top 10? The resources are certainly there but not the wins.

I agree with you that elite program jobs don’t usually have openings. However if you were Meyer, would you rather have the UT job or the USC job? There has been talk of Harbaugh possibly leaving.... Michigan or UT? Florida State or UT? I am not saying that FSU is a better job than UT but it is debatable and shows there will likely be options for Meyer.

Rudyc281 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Of course not, but wins is not what I said.

They're in the top most prestigious, coveted jobs in football. The other 10-15 big schools are there too.

USC is a good comp...they've got everything, but can't settle on a coach and have been churning water for years.

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  10. gucci888

I hear what y’all are saying but have to ask then who? USC? Michigan maybe?

UT has been bad, there’s no arguing that. But so was Bama. Hell they lost Dennis Franchione to A&M at one point. Yet just so happened that Saban was remotely available and the SEC was no where near the powerhouse it is today. Ohio State had one championship in 35 years and just received a bowl ban among other things. Yet just so happened that Urban was available.

Not saying y’all are wrong but sometimes timing supersedes everything else.

11. Major

Major Member

You're assuming Meyer even wants to come back to coaching sometime soon - he has a pretty good gig right now and quit twice already from elite jobs.

But if he were to come back, Notre Dame is his dream job, I believe - though unlikely to be open anytime soon, I could see him holding out for something like that. I don't think it happens, but if Lincoln Riley goes to the NFL, OU could offer him a top-10 type program that he can plug and play into without rebuilding.

12. Buck Turgidson

Is it right to pay Herman $25M to leave, just to hire Urban for that much+, at the same time you're cutting jobs? Just to win football games?

I liked that UT coaches in all sports gave back some salary, while the Dept was taking cuts and firings, but now it turns out that all that salary will be repaid in the future.

13. gucci888

Yes I’m assuming that he wants to come back soon but believe you are also assuming he wanted to quit his last 2 elite jobs.

As for OU, ya that’s a big concern but like you said, there’s no appeal in playing no name opponents most weeks right?

14. gucci888

Is it right? Probably not but it’s not my call either. I won’t blame CDC either way because the optics are what they are. That being said, he has raised and spent a ridiculous amount of money all on the prospect of winning and so far he’s not holding up the end of his bargain.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

No offense, but **** anyone who gives money to a huge athletic program so they can build bigger stuff

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Urban would come so he can take a third team to the championship

He’s wants to take Saban down as the best college coach

17. Buck Turgidson

If you gave Urban enough money he'd do a lot of things....

Rudyc281 and tinman like this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Urban Meyer can have all the bbq he wants

19. Buck Turgidson

Stack 'em deep and sell 'em cheap, after a couple of heart attacks he might not want much. As long as Austin doesn't try and keep pretending they invented the taco.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Urban Meyer can have all the Mexican Martinis he wants