1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Roadies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I noticed there is no thread on this show. Does anyone watch this show on Showtime after Ray Donovan? I find the change of pace from Ray to this show to be a nice one. I really enjoy this show and all the cameos by famous artists (e.g. Lindsay Buckingham, Jackson Browne) is really cool. This show is from Cameron Crowe and is similar in feel to "Almost Famous" except instead of focusing on the band...they focus more on the road crew (hence the name of the show), relationships, etc. .

I went to plenty of arena concerts over the years as most of you probably have. I often sat there before and/or after shows just watching the technicians and crew do their thing in setting up and taking down, lighting guys climbing the ladders to work the lights, etc. ...wondering what it would be like to be a part of something like that and tour with a famous band. This show is as close a feeling as I'm going to get even if fictional. The show just gives off a great vibe imo.

The show isn't perfect and I was a bit slow in the first few episodes to decide if I was in but it grows on you, the characters are interesting and well-acted, the dialogue is fun and interesting, the plot points are entertaining, etc. . I've noticed there is a lot of talk since the season finale on Sunday questioning whether there will be a season two and what direction it might take. There is hope for a season two but it has not been approved as of yet.

That said...some people didn't get it and tuned out. But, I really enjoyed it and I hope for more. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some of the dialogue is good, the acting isn't bad. The plots have a lot of problems IMHO.

Some of the show's mechanics are also discomforting to watch. The forced song of the day in each episode is painful to have it forced into the show. The plots often feel like an adult version of Degrassi Jr. High show. I actually love that show for what it is, but it doesn't translate well to an adult show. Also sometimes the way the guests get forced into plots is painful to see for me as well.

Any of those elements might work if the writers were able to make it seem to flow naturally. Instead they are things that may or may not be good ideas but jammed awkwardly into a plot.

Some of the characters are lacking in depth and kind of two dimensional. The crazy coffee guy is that guy and not really too much else. There isn't depth. The film school girl is that girl and not much else but she's still developing enough that it isn't as bad. The conflicted boss lady and British corporate guy also haven't developed much complexity, but it's early and it could change.

It isn't a horrible show. But parts of it are really bad. So even if I'm enjoying some aspects of the show when the awkward things pop on screen, it's jarring and almost painful to watch.

3. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I watched and enjoyed it but... it took a few episodes to get into it. Initially I was disappointed but kept with it because I liked the concept. I'm glad I did because I ended up really liking it and hope there is a second season.

4. Buck Turgidson

Watched the first 4 or so episodes, it's solid but it just didn't make me "have" to watch the rest. I'll catch the others eventually. I love Singles and Almost Famous, so I'd almost just rather re-watch those.

I've always had a thing for Carla Gugino, though. That's a good looking lady.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Cancelled

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Roadies?src=hash">#Roadies</a> Cancelled at Showtime <a href="https://t.co/3qTbBjBDKc">https://t.co/3qTbBjBDKc</a> <a href="https://t.co/poa88wAHvx">pic.twitter.com/poa88wAHvx</a></p>&mdash; TVLine.com (@TVLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/TVLine/status/776874959952048132">September 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Gave up after 3 shows, it was OK enough to kill time, but if you missed one, there really wasn't much reason to go back.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Oh well. Yea...it started slow and it's obviously not for everyone.

It's a failure on Showtime's part. Screw them and their channel. ;)

They better replace it in that time slot with something better then. Or else!