1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trumpers, please tell me why you guys think a wall will work.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jayhow92, Nov 9, 2016.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Seriously. I can't think of a single reason for why this plan would be an efficient manner of preventing illegal immigration and illegal drug smuggling.

- The border is huge. This will take a lot of money and time to build. It's also likely smugglers will adapt by the time thing is even functionally operational.
    - There are still ways around a wall. It will still be possible to smuggle people and drugs into America via nautical and air routes (or just over and under the wall).

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

A wall isn't happening and if any Trump supporter is honestly expecting it, they'll be disappointed.

First, the wall isn't even a new idea. That's been a Republican staple for over a decade. Remember, Republicans campaigned on walling up the Southern border during the Bush administration and they even allocated money for it as a start. And guess what, the whole thing fell on its face. For one thing, the feds don't even own the land on the river (so enjoy invoking eminent domain across the entire rio grande). Second, we have treaty obligations to keep the river open so Trump will have to rip that up first. And third, the fencing that was built was way over budget and significantly more expensive than anyone would have thought.

He might end the deferred deportation/work permit program for dreamers but that's probably all he can do. The interesting thing will be how often he plays ball with Congressional Republicans who have their own agenda items and really the wall won't be on their list.

#2 geeimsobored, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    jayhow92 likes this.
  3. Cranberry_Juice

At least financially we could offset most of the cost by not funding Israel and maybe leaving Syria.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The wall is symbolic at best, but most likely was political rhetoric. We'll likely find that Trump/Pence will compromise with an expanded E-Verify system and larger ICE budget.

5. geeimsobored

Also not happening and that funding still wouldn't be enough. We live in reality. No one is defunding military aid to Israel.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

- I doubt that happens, but if it does it seems like that money could go toward something better like infrastructure, education, or literally anything else.

- This is what I thought was going to happen, but people clearly think otherwise and I want to know why. It would be an utter waste of money and time for a symbol like that.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL, Trump is not going to build a wall. That was just empty rhetoric to fool the masses and credit it to him, it worked

RedRedemption likes this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

There is not going to be a wall, so the question is moot.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How do you build a wall in the middle of the Rio Grande? Lake Amistad and Falcon Reservoir?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Because it works in cartoons and facebook memes so it'll work just fine. o_O

12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Well... if he does COMPLETE the wall, he will be completing the wall the Bill Clinton started and Hillary Clinton supported.

But go right ahead blaming Republicans.

13. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

And who is gonna pay for that wall??? !!!!!!!

Mexico !!!

Muahahagahahagaga

14. geeimsobored

Times change. Everyone supported a border fence in theory in the 90s. Then when the Bush administration actually tried to build one, everyone came to their senses and realized how utterly crazy it is to build one. The Republicans in their anti-immigration hysteria of 2012 didn't even propose a wall. The wall as an idea has been dead for a while until Trump brought it up. But it wont change the reality that it simply can't be done.

15. Cranberry_Juice

You still here? Shouldn't you be spending all your time trying to apply for Canadian residency? Isn't there a Raptors forum where you can post at?

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it'll be a little hard for him to go back on this one because it was a pretty prominent campaign promise... and he needs to get Mexico to pay for it.

He can go ahead and build it and it'll be all the same to me -- aside from the massive waste of government resources, but we're kinda used to that. A wall won't hurt anything. I am concerned about the immigration policies Republicans will now have unilateral power to enact. I rather expect it to be long on deportations, short on social support, and not at all address the underlying drivers of the problem.

17. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

How will Trump supporters get their drugs? The wall is not happening, it's the idea. Trump supporters have finally come to their senses on this.

You think the US will ever stop supporting (yeah, let's call it supporting) Israel? Keep dreaming. When idiot Christians have this rewritten book called the New Testament and churches telling them the Jews are God's people and Israel is the holy land.

Please.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

But that is not Trump's position. His position is that there should be absolutely NO Palestinian state. Heck they added that language to the Republican platform at the convention. That position would mean 100% support of Israel no matter what. Also, on Syria, he wants more troops there and in Iraq and not to have them leave.

19. Cranberry_Juice

I never said they would, I said financially they COULD offset .

20. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Ugh, more wars. This is why religion is such bullshit. Just an excuse to kill each other.

Two Sandwiches likes this.