1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[travel] Checking a case of beer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Have any of you ever attempted to check a case of beer on a plane? What did you do to protect it?

I'm traveling to my corporate hq this week in Wisconsin and plan to bring a case of Spotted Cow back with me one way or another. I wasn't planning to bring a suit case as I'm only there for 2 nights.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Just put it in an area where it's best protected. Corner area, with the frame / shell of the suicase providing protection, and encase it in clothing etc. Make sure you put it into something to seal it though....I had a bottle of coffee liqour bust in the suitcase once.....and a few cans of Dr. Pepper when I brought a couple of 24 packs to Switzerland....(sold 1 can for 20 CHF...:grin: )

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

No idea about the thread topic but Wisconsin is a weird place for corporate HQ.

4. leroy

Not bringing a suitcase. Here's my current plan...

I'm bringing a bunch of coozies and will put each bottle in one and fill the rest of the case with newspaper. I'm also bringing some duct tape to reinforce the box. Then...I'll hope.

Says you. I quite enjoy the trips up there...that don't take place in January or Feb. Going back in Dec for the Texans vs Green Bay game.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I've checked several cases of wine on a flight. Not sure why you couldn't check beer.

6. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

When you say case, do you mean the case that the beer came in? I doubt that'll be enough protection. Even if you put tons of tape on it, it'll fall apart after the TSA rips it open to inspect it. they'll most likely inspect it since it's metal and liquid in cans. I also don't think it'll survive being tossed around without proper protection.

I would go to home depot/lowes and pick up a heavy duty moving box for a few bucks. Then actually fill the box with real packing material (or lots of newspaper at least). That'll give you a much better chance of making it through.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why not just bring a suitcase? You plan could suck for anybody with a bag near yours if they do bust.

I went to Wisconsin this year to take my family on Vacation. It was great, and highly recommend.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My only worry about beer over wine is beer is carbonated and could get shaken up in the process and explode in the bag.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I put beer in my suitcase pretty regularly. I don't keep them in the case. I wrap some bubble wrap around each one individually with tape. Then I put each one in its own ziplock bag just in case anything breaks. Doing this, I've never encountered a problem.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Don't misunderstand me. I actually quite like Wisconsin. I was just in Sheboygan two weeks ago. Really nice relaxing place. I rather like Milwaukee as well. I make it a point to go whenever I head up to Chicago. I enjoy going to certain parts of downtown, Bayview, etc...

I still think Wisconsin is a weird place for a corporate HQ in the sense that I've never heard anyone say that before.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Put it in your belly before the flight.

1 person likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

There are 10 Fortune 500 companies HQ'd there and additional 11 on the Fortune 1000.

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Would you have known that without Google?

14. Buck Turgidson

Yes, I make it a habit to memorize the Fortune list every year.

Only reason I looked it up is because I couldn't remember if Caterpillar was based there.

15. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I would recommend just doing bottles. Cans are more prone to bursting with the air pressure.

16. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Overachiever :grin:

17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I brought back 60 bottles of Westvleteren from Belgium. Wrapped as many as I could in clothes. Just make sure they're snug and no glass on glass.

18. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I check beer and wine on almost every flight I take. Just make sure it's relatively secure (won't break) and it'll be fine. Fortunately, most of the good local beers are switching to cans these days, so breakage is almost a thing of the past.

19. leroy

Not what I'm planning to bring home, unfortunately (or not). Hoping I can fit a case of Spotted Cow in my bag, wrapped in clothes, coozies, and anything else I can find.

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hard sided luggage with the 4 spinner rollers on the bottom.
    Baggage handlers love these as they can simply roll them in the aircraft cargo hold as opposed to chunking them.