1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toyota Center –vs- AT&T Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by badges, Jan 2, 2014.

1. badges

badges Member

As a die hard Rockets fan that lives in the Sand Antonio area, when I get to see the rockets in person, it’s normally at the AT&T center. This is an observation from the Kings game that I attended at the Toyota Center.

Outside the bowl: The facilities of the TC are magnificent. Energy, atmosphere, food, architecture…. Walking around was enjoyable.

Inside the bowl: While I love the TC facilities, once inside the bowl of the arena, the ATTC wins hands down (production wise). I am guessing this has a lot to do with how the seats are sold at both places and the market each is trying to reach. From dancers, announcers, Clutch, ½ time show, and time out activities, nothing seemed to go smooth. The ATTC production is a well oiled machine that is non stop entertainment. The noise level at ATTC is always up. I felt like with few exceptions I could have stood in my seat and yelled to the other side of the arena and they would have heard me. Most of the game I felt odd standing up. In the ATTC, it’s exactly the opposite. If you want to see the game, you will have to stand up to watch at least part of the game because the ATTC has that much energy, even during a bad loss like we gave them last time (I was there). Especially during a close 4th quarter, the ATTC is maddening.

Pre-Game: As mentioned on this board before, when the game starts, the place is pretty much empty. At the start of a game at ATTC, the place is pretty much packed. The intro of players is a celebrated event. At TC, it’s pretty lack luster. IMHO it has less to do with lazy fans and more to do with the lack of production. Good production will bring fans in early. Seriously, marketing is not rocket science. There are games and corporate giveaways that can be done off the court that will bring in the folks. We can watch the game on TV. We can see the game better on our 50” LED’s. Most of us fans go to the game to be entertained. If you entertain them… they will come. They come wanting to be energized, to stand up… to yell hard. They just need some direction. This is something that the production team at the ATTC has mastered.

Dancers: Silver dancers are very involved in the game. Not just dancing, but walking around and are part of the overall game. They are part of every time out and are scattered throughout the arena much of the game. The Power Dancers seemed almost missing in action most of the game compared to the Silver dancers.

Time outs: As said before, there is really no comparison in activities. The ATTC folks do an amazing job of keeping the energy level up. There are games & corporate giveaways during the whole game. At TC, there were some time outs that were astonishing quiet at TC. Very disappointing.

Clutch –vs- Coyote: All I can say is wow. Perhaps it’s not fair to compare the two. Actually, there is no comparison. The Coyote is fun to watch. Energizes the crowd and is always active. He (or she) knows how to get the fans involved and unifies the energy level in ways that’s amazing. We could have use this energy and direction in a one point game with a minute left.

Announcer: This has been mentioned before to, but WOW. The announcer is really annoying. No variety. Even my amazing positive wife asked me in the fourth quarter if we could shut him off. Ouch!

Red Rowdies: If you are a RR and are reading this. Hats off to you. You guys are amazing. My only complaint was that I sat to far away from you. If I were a coach, I would buy you guy’s tickets closer to the game. We need your help.

Ending Thoughts: As the Kings game neared the end, I was amazed at how quiet and subdued the arena was. We were down by one point with less than a minute to go. Most of the arena was sitting down. The noise & energy level was so low. 99% were sitting. People started leaving. I have no doubt that if the arena was filled with Rowdies we would have won that game. No doubt.

1 person likes this.
  2. skyline07

skyline07 Member

Houstonians always seem to disappoint me when it comes to passion and looking active. No one stands up, very few people on the bottom rows ever bother to cheer in the last quaters. The way the OP describes the TC is sickening. Its designed for lazy slobs to sit there and still have a good seat. In theory its a great idea, but just screams "this place is designed for middle aged white collar business men."

3. hltiki

hltiki Member

i 100% agree. Players, including rockets, have stated that the energy in the crowd transfers.

4. Indaface

Indaface Member

I've seen games at both and the atmosphere at ATT is much better, but think about it this way. If the Rockets had won 4 titles in the past 15 years and been one of the best teams pretty much every year while the Spurs only had one playoff series win in the past 15 years I'm almost certain the roles would be reversed.

Not saying it's all because of the winning but that has a lot to do with it.

Also Clutch is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Coyote

The Coyote is decent but Clutch is way better.

1 person likes this.
  5. roadstone

roadstone Member

I was at the game too and I stood up with 1:30 to go and it felt awkward because no one in my section was standing up and very few people in the arena was standing up. I was also the only one in my section screaming "DEFENSE!" or "LETS GO ROCKETS!" everyone else just wanted to clap and didn't bother to have any energy whatsoever. Thank god that we have the Red Rowdies because if we didn't TC would be as quiet as a church.

6. hltiki

hltiki Member

I was watching on t.v. and you know what, I think I heard you, because you mustve been the only one, next to the RRs of course, screaming Defense at the last few minutes.

7. badges

badges Member

Clutch >> Perhaps my view from one night was not accurate. I just did not see much of him at this game. Could have been an off game as other times he's been very active. Coyote is always leading the cheers, especially in the fourth. Did not see any of this. In this specific game perhaps it could have made a difference.

Roadstone>> I felt the same EXACT way. I eventually sat down cause the guy behind me gave me a dirty look when I turned around a couple of times. I was the only standing guy around me. Should have man'ed up I guess but instead I just sat down.

8. roadstone

roadstone Member

Wow, if this is true then that is just sad. TC only has energy in the Playoffs.

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

People got mad at me during the playoffs last year for standing the entire game in the Red Rowdies section. Ridiculous. Maybe we should all get a big as group together to try and liven up the Toyota Center?

1 person likes this.
  10. newAge_Rockets

I was at the Sacramento game too, and Clutch was missing. I know Clutch is better than that Coyote, but they never used him.I hate that the bottom is always empty because of corporate seats, but the top levels are packed and quiet too.i guess i will have to wait until the playoffs for a fun crowd.

11. newAge_Rockets

Heck yes, the CLUTCHFANS section. I can see it.

12. roadstone

roadstone Member

IN THE PLAYOFFS!? Why would other "fans" get mad at someone for standing in a playoff game!? They need to get their lazy a** up and get the entire arena to stand so we have a better chance to win the game! Ridiculous.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Toyota Center is dead, Toyota Center sucks, we know. :p

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hate to say it, but I was walking out the door with less than a minute to go. I think we were down 3 or 4 by then. Sorry, but I've seen enough games in my 28 years as a fan to know when we've flushed one down the toilet; and this game was a heavy, torpedo-shaped turd.

21-13 with losses to Philadelphia, Lakers, Dallas (twice, after blowing big leads), Utah, Sacramento (twice!)....

15. roadstone

roadstone Member

If we won the games we were suppose to win we would have been 28-6 :mad:

1 person likes this.
  16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The game presentation in the TC is awful. Very generic, sterile, and boring.

17. j3i

j3i Member

TC is generally very low energy, but the first matchup between Yao and Shaq was electric (especially the first few minutes). Probably the greatest crowd atmosphere I felt.

Also, I like TC's announcer. Especially when he says Hispanic names.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So you just said the Coyote is better than Clutch?

One star thread.

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

YES!!! Let's start a petition to have all the seats in TC removed. Why have seats when we should all be standing all the time to support the team. We would never lose if we could just have the seats removed. And don't forget the face paint.

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Yep. In the playoffs. Hope they're reading this so they can realize how ridiculous it was.