1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To Trade or Not Trade Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tbw914, Dec 8, 2015.

?

Should the Rockets trade Terrence Jones?

1. YES

58 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. NO

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. tbw914

tbw914 Member

People are split on what to do with TJ. The kid still isn't 24 years old yet. What do we do with him?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Either trade him or don't

That's what

3. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Leave it up to the professionals.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Him or Dmo, or both.

Yes. Don't want to pay either really. Unless either of them start bossing I say F both of em and go for a cheap vet or rookie deal.

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

What people? No one wants to keep Jones, other than those 5 Jones only fans that are in my ignore list.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy is and likely always will be a sieve on defense.

TJ is also inconsistent on the other end.

IMO, a huge part of this is attitude/effort ...in addition to inadequacies. It took DMo coming back to light a little fire under his a$$.

He's a pretty average NBA player.

And...WE ARE NOT GOING TO PAY HIM.

So, considering all this..and the fact that we are sporting DMo, Dwight, and CC.

He gone!

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

This has been brought up at ad nauseam! ... :eek:

Let's go hang out in the Maduro page!

8. omgTHEpotential

How do you know that?

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It depends on what the Rockets can get for him, but I think this is a clear position to upgrade and I think he's the clear choice to get dealt.

I'm not trying to blast Jones, but some of the problems are becoming obvious.

One that really bothers me is he does not go right up with the ball. He often gathers, takes a dribble and goes up soft for a layup. By not going right up immediately and aggressively, there is time for the defense to collapse on him.

Layups have been a problem it seems.

His three-point shot has been better this year (small sample size), but he's very slow to decide to take it and in getting it off.

His defense and rebounding haven't been anything special.

He's been a mixed bag. Yes, he's young and we all thought many of these things about D-Mo at the beginning of last year before he took off, so those things do give me a little pause, but I just don't think the Rockets can afford to wait for progress when he's going to be a free agent at a time when everyone is going to overspend. Power forward is still a position where the Rockets can make a big step forward.

10. Flamebot

Flamebot New Member

if we're going all in this year, not gonna get a much better player for jones. plus for all the loss's weve had this year I dont think tjones gets the blame for any of them. and no pf is gonna be consistent every night as well

11. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

lShare your sentiments clutch, he is ever so frustrating though unfairly maligned in these parts. I would take Markieff in a trade for him as he is a better fit. But this team will get it together so whatever works i say

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The thing that confuses me most about Jones is why he NEVER PASSES THE BALL

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Exactly.

The biggest issue is the inconsistency. At a minimum if you knew generally what you were getting on night in basis, at least you'd understand the areas of weakness and how to lineup plan effectively. But he can still be great one game, horrible the next two, score in the 4th but fail to rebound, give you 12 rebounds in the 5th, be horrible for 3 in a row, be great for 4 in a row.

At this stage in his career he needs to provide some consistency. This doesn't mean that he has to hit for the same %'s every night. He can have an off game. But a general level of consistency.

even if/when he becomes consistent, though, the shortcomings will be the shortcomings.

If you think about the many players before him not blessed with his physical gifts, you realize its all mental. I mean take someone like Carlos Boozer. Not exactly a defensive mastermind or an oversized PF. Not crazy athletic. But the dude gave you 15+ boards per 100 possessions every season of his career except last year when he was at 14.5. Terrence has never topped 12.7 in this category. It's one stats, but it highlights the obvious.

The dude just doesn't try hard enough at the little things. He doesn't bring that energy every time he steps on the floor.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This is the most puzzling thing for me this year. Up until this year Jones was a reliable finisher at the rim. He always looked awkward but he was as good a finisher as we had. Now he just misses everything at the rim it seems.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Oh and I voted yes to the poll, he is going to get paid this summer anyway and I don't see us matching it.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

The 3 idiots, please speak up.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Trade him for what?

18. awc713

awc713 Member

its impossible to answer without knowing what we'd get...

19. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I was thinking last season during the GSW series that if TJ had Green's motor/hustle, then he would be a real force for us.

Better to get something for him now rather than lose him for nothing in the offseason

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't think he is worth anything on the trade market and I think he is fine if he is the 4th big in the game, he just shouldn't be playing more than that