1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TNT] Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by spankz141, Jun 29, 2016.

1. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Anyone watching this show? It's based on an Australian movie (awesome movie) about a kid who moves in with his crime crazed extended family after his mother dies.

I've watched the first three episodes and think it's really good. Storyline is good and so is the acting.

2. The Boz

The Boz Member

I have them on the DVR. Watched the first one. Really liked it. Will watch more over the weekend.

3. TheresTheDagger

I watched the pilot last night and thought it was good so I'll watch another tonight to see if it continues that way.

It has a "Point Break" feel to it. (the original with Patrick Swayze). Typical TNT type drama but a good one so far.

There's something about crime shows from the "bad guys" perspective that makes for good TV...that is as long as its got quality acting, writing, directing which so far this seems to have.

4. Buck Turgidson

Hah, I thought the exact same thing, its got a whole lot more "surfer brah" vibe to it than the movie (great movie, as was mentioned before). Liked the pilot, will keep watching.

I hope my old lady, whoever she is, looks as good as Ellen Barkin does at that age.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So I been catching up on this
    To put a marker on it . .. . kind of a SURFER SONS OF ANARCHY

Rocket river

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's good enough for me to keep watching. Which character are viewers supposed to key on?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the Kid.

He is the 'moral center' and our view into the crazy world.

Rocket River

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

The uncles acting was pretty bad in the pilot i thought, didnt continue

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The acting is stilted and takes some getting use to

Rocket River

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I suppose but the actor playing "J" doesn't seem ready to be a lead. He's more suited for a tertiary support role like on Peaky Blinders.

No single character on this show grabs me. The plot is spread out very thin over all members of the family. IMO, the Smurf character is hard to take seriously. Same for Baz. Craig and Deran are OK. The teacher and J's girlfriend are both very good.

"Pope" must become THE man. Both the character and the actor are strong. For this show to have a good run, Pope has to take the reigns next season and run with it.

Maybe the writers' plan was to intro everyone in season 1 to lay a foundation for the future. That mission is accomplished. Time to set the hook and give viewers a definitive reason to watch.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

What's crazy is the Australian film (mentioned by OP) is based on an actual crime family from there.

- "David Michôd's script was inspired by events which involved the Pettingill criminal family of Melbourne, Australia." - this is from wiki on the film, but I read some about them, pretty crazy stuff. I am wondering how much they'll follow the real-life events/counterparts.

Anyway... the show has been good enough to peak my interest during slow part of summer, certainly better than some other things on. I'm still catching up on HBO/Showtime shows though.... So plenty of tv to watch :)

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The part where the guy that is like 6'4"+ is sniffing coke of 'a' gf's breasts while his mom is giving him a back rub disgusted me. I'd never let my mother touch me while having a females over. Would feel like incest.

13. The Boz

The Boz Member

Did anyone see that coming with the teacher? I didn't. New episode tonight.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pope is the weird brother just out of prison right?

They seem to be indicating that Baz is J's dad . . .or at least J is thinking so.
    Baz is ok actor.

Smurf is just creepy. She is suppose to be the GEMMA of the group
    but like someone said she has this incestral thing going on that is just weird

The Gay brother thing . . .maybe 10 ~ 20 yrs ago his storyline would have been
    'shocking' or intrigue . .. now it is just a fricking cliche

The Coked out big guy is just a waste of screen time

Rocket River

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Gave it another shot and enjoyed the six ep so far. Coked out guy really is a waste of time.

16. TheresTheDagger

I agree the "Pope" character is the most interesting. I also think the kid portraying "J" is doing a good job.

The Smurf character is weird, and the Baz character is boring so far...too normal for this family if you ask me.

Which brings up a question....if this family is so fricking weird and distrustful of each other...how have they avoided being busted so far? It's obvious from the cop drive by of their house in the pilot episode that they are already suspected in something.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree.
    They seem like they should have been busted a long time ago

I am going to guess they will show that POPE was different before prison

Rocket River

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just caught episode 8. Best one of the series so far and I'm on the edge of my seat.

Gotta reverse course on Baz (at least for now) but Smurf still doesn't impress.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This show finished a lot better than it started. I will watch season 2 next year.

Hopefully the writers learned they must avoid boring side plots and keep the intensity high. Shouldn't be too hard for just 10 episodes a season.

I still don't like Smurf. Not sure if it's the actress or the character that is weak.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, is the Apex character in Animal Kingdom a Cougar?