1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The reasons for our success are the reasons for our failure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Most of us are shocked by the team’s collapse since last season. Same players, same coaches. What happened?

Don’t pin it on Josh Smith. He cost us as much in chucks, TOs, and missed FTs as he gave us. We played fine without him or Prigs for half the season. And Beverley and Motiejunas were out at the end, when we made our run.

Is it Harden’s love life? No Team USA summer to get him in shape? Maybe.

But the simplest explanation is that what’s hurting us now are the same things that helped us before. It’s just that last year, everything was going so well that we didn’t have to face the downside.

Look at how Morey built this team. His job was to get to contender level without high draft picks. How did he manage it? The key acquisitions were Harden and Howard. Many of us were shocked and delighted that we got these guys. But there’s a reason why the Thunder chose Durant and Westbrook over Harden. And there’s a reason why, after a season in L.A., Howard wanted out.

I’ll put the proposition to you this way: If Harden had been a more complete player, we would not have been able to get him. And if Howard had been the superstar his fans were waiting for, he would have done better, been happier, and stayed in L.A.

We were surprised to get these guys. Now we’re surprised they’ve fallen off. Maybe the happy surprise and the unhappy surprise cancel each other out. Maybe, all along, the likelihood of disappointment was baked in.

You could say the same about McHale. I never understood how the team played as well as it did under him the past two years. That was especially true in last season’s clutch regular-season games and in our playoff run. Then all of us were taken aback by this season’s horrendous start. You can point to injuries or Ty Lawson, but those factors don’t really explain our dismal confidence and effort.

Maybe it’s all connected. McHale kept his guys loose. When things were going well, the looseness made them better. When things went downhill, the looseness made them worse. They lacked the structure to stabilize themselves.

And now they have no leaders to pull them together. They never did. Harden wasn’t that guy. Howard wasn’t either. If they had been, Morey wouldn’t have been able to get them.

So suck it up, Clutchfans. We have the team our GM was able to build. For better, and for worse.

5 people like this.
  2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Yes another lets blame it all on James thread. We for sure need more of thses

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Philosophical as ever and well put.

Our hands have been tied times again.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

Nice post

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, if anyone is at fault, it's Les. Should have just gone Philly and sucked up his pride. Then pick who you want, not what you can get.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That's really worked out for them.

7. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

When do the Astros report for Spring training again. There are only so many kicks in the sack you can take before you give up. I am real close with these dolts. Lets see what they do until Jan 1. Hell. Maybe these guys are just water seeking its own level. With better teams maybe they will put in more effort. Will be finding out soon.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

what an extremely dumb route that was/is and its not like its getting any better any time soon

9. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

So, basically, we need Kevin Durant to get on this team. He will be that leader we need, and Harden will gladly follow him. He's the magic bullet.

This season is lost. Let's trade away all the pieces Durant doesn't like (i.e., Howard) and bring in the pieces Durant does like (i.e., Scottie Brooks).

Go all in for Durant.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I agree wholeheartedly on DH, and with what you said on Harden... To an extent. I just don't think that OKC had any idea of what they had in James one way or the other.

It's hard to build a team around top flight talent and cornerstone superstars when you didn't draft any of them. I can't think of one team that's won a championship that way, and I think it ties a lot into attitude and leadership.

The fact of the matter is that this Rockets team doesn't belong to anyone. Not James or Dwight. And that's a big problem.

#10 HR Dept, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Interesting perspective. Don't fully agree though. The premise implies that elite, championship level players aren't obtainable via trade/free agency which is false (LeBron, KDs upcoming free agency, Chris Paul for example, though I realize Paul has never sniffed a title)

Dwight was injured in LA and that was a sinking ship with or without him. Some really good teams, including the Warriors, were going hard after him.

And I think Presti made a hasty decision on Harden, but I will agree that had he been a more complete player it would've been much harder to obtain him. Russ and KD were the clear 1 and 2 and they didn't want 3 max players, plus they clearly weren't sold that Harden should be a max player. He picked up the phone and called Washington and Houston (that was it from what I recall reading) instead of really putting him on the market or waiting until the deadline to drum interest. I mean, nobody even remotely good gets traded right before the season starts.

#11 DieHard Rocket, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Harden did not fall off. He came into the season out of shape. His defense is bad. But that boy still averaging 30

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

During that timeframe they (OKC) only perceived Harden as a very good sixth man in the mold of Manu Ginobili nothing more.

Little did they know he could score with the best of them.

But they probably valued Defense over Harden's production and thought they could replace him eventually. Not easy but it could be done.

So they went with Ibaka, Captain Westbrook and Durantula

They could only replace one aspect of his game with Reggie Jax's output but he is gone now

They never replaced him completely but they are just half a notch worse than they were with him (about 3-5th place in the West)

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

and? its not that hard to average 30 when you get to put up +20 shots a game.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I partially subscribe to this theory. Take the Lebron situation in Miami, he and Bosh were added to a team that already had a homegrown D Wade. KG and Ray joined up with a homegrown Paul Pierce. Pau teamed up with a homegrown Kobe. Clyde came home to team up with Dream. Shaq may be the only exception in his early LA days, but technically Kobe was there even though he wasn't on that level yet.

That homegrown guy is going to be the heart and soul of the team. The one guy that's fully vested and has been there since the beginning. FA/trades can definitely net superstars that can put a team over the top, but a team full of "mercenaries" (for lack of a better word) probably won't get you there.

At some point you have to be able to hire from within.

1 person likes this.
  16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

What is it with you and harden??????? Anytime anybody says anything negative about Harden or you interpret that they said anything negative you take it personal..

I think Will did a good job of narrowing the situation down.. There was no BLAME.. It just stated the facts...

Good Job Will

T_Man

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

100% agree.

This team really did think they were special coming back from 0-3.

I personally thought it was a fluke/luck. The Clippers did more than the Rockets did to win the series. I've sensed entitlement since the beginning of the year. They don't like to pass to each other. They just don't trust each other.

The only thing that can save this team is leadership and sadly it's not gonna come from Harden. He's not Dream.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Does not make me feel better, but I agree with most of your thoughts Will.

DD

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe they feeling Satisfied and Entitled

Rocket River

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

swag champions.