1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The JVG Prophecies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by whoisray, Jul 5, 2007.

1. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

I know everyone blames JVG for VSPAN and Bonzi's suckiness and lack of playing time, but I have a feeling next year JVG will be saying "I told you so"

With VSPAN now saying that it was "personal" reasons that he can't take it anymore and wants to get out of being a slave on the Rockets. Even our management, new coach, players have begged him to return, it's like slap in the face to all that supported him. :(

If next year Bonzi has a breakout season as the legit 3rd option and thanks Adelman as his savior, then obviously JVG was wrong in the way he used him. We won't blame Bonzi for flaming out on the team prior to the playoffs. But what IF Bonzi continues to suck it up under Adelman and he never got past his $$$ lost in SAC?

I think we'll soon have an answer to all those that criticized JVG for his rotation and ruining VSPAN and Bonzi's careers. More and more I am telling you, JVG can tell the future...

2. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Don't go too far out on a limb there about Spanoulis. He does not want to come back- so if You and Van Gundy want to shout"I told you so" it rings hollow

As far as Bonzi goes- he was recovering form a groin injury and came to camp last year in poor shape

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I think if Bonzi comes into camp in shape, then that would mean he i ready to play ball with RA and is over the whole money fiasco. Let's hope Bonzi respects RA like we assume he does. Bonzi should respect his teammates more which should have been enough to motivate him but maybe he will have learned how immature he was last year.

I know a lot of people will say that JVG rid VSpan of his confidence. While that maybe somewhat true, if a player's confidence is bursted just like that then what confidence did that player really have? Prophetic isn't it? I assume Vspan had a pseudo confidence about him and we are seeing his real ego now.

4. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Guess Assistant coach was paying too much attention to the wrong thing instead of things like making adjustments, and now he's out of a job.

Can't blame V-Span on getting outcoached again.

5. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Wow!

As desperate as I am for the ROX to do something that most will call "good" and "substantial" with our PF position, I still cannot bring myself to not blame JVG for NEVER having a bench, and NEVER having an offensive imagination.

No coach worth his salt has a lead with 5 minutes to play, in an elimination game, ON THEIR HOME COURT, and allows their team to lose. NOBODY.

I don't care if JVG is right about VSpan, Bonzi, or anyone else whoever played for him, the guy is rigid, unyielding and depite his serious obsession with perfection and defense, he's never developed an "elite" way of managing his team and players, hence poor management over the course of a VERY long season and post-season.

JVG tried desperately to save his job in Houston by NOT playing anyone who might cause the ROX to lose a game at the expense of actually "learning" how to blend with their teammates, etc. Few players in the league actually WANT to be coached by JVG and I guarantee his next job will also involve disputes with young, talented players who will NOT be given the playing time they need!!!!

We had 4 years of JVG not putting the ROX past Round 1. Of those 4, I wll allow that only one did he not have DIRECT responsibility for the outcome. There are certain things you cannot be allowed to survive as a coach, and one of them has to be losing Game 7 of any series on your home court!!!

6. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

[​IMG] NO!!! It was Rafer!!!

7. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

What happene dto Bonzi was purely Bonzi's fault. He even said that himself. He had to take a year off to recover from all the money that he lost.

8. n8rox06

n8rox06 Member

Show me a slave making $1.8 million per year, and I'll show you someone who isn't a slave.

I do fault JVG some for not finding this guy some minutes, but I fault Span more for not playing his way into the lineup. JVG was frustrating to watch, but I don't think he would hold someone out of the lineup that would help produce wins.

9. rocketsmetalspd

Who cares about what JVG says. He is gone. The guy had his chances to get this team going further into the playoffs. Let us see what this new team will get accomplish this season.

10. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Exactly, Both JVG and Bonzi stated that Bonzi was never really into it physically and mentally since he lost out on that contract the Kings offered him.

If he really was a bad presence, do you think the rockets would have kept him. Even though Bonzi had a player option he could have easily been traded and his salary is small enough that we can release him outright.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i get the feeling that bonzi had some serious emotional problems. maybe bits of depression who know. whatever the case he didnt really give a great effort and at the end of the day he called and he quit.

Hopefully he gets his act together and comes to play next season b/c for being a fat, lazy malcontent he is a good player if he wants to be.

13. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

That's why I thank my luck stars that Adelman would never let something like this happen (that 2002 WCF game 7 loss at home to the Lakers in 2002 doesn't count because otherwise we'd be screwed)

:p

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

lol :D nice

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

Definitely, we'll see how it all plays out.

16. tsunami

tsunami Member

I have to agree. I used to support both SPAN and Bonzi and blame JVG. But I have to say I was wrong.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Must...........NOT...........join..........thread.................must...........resist.........

ERRRRMMMMMMMMMM---ACCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Whew.

DD

18. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I will give you the name of two coaches who are actually pretty good despite losing a deciding game on their home court. How about George Karl and Pat Riley. Karl lost the game 5 deciding game with Sea vs. Den. Riley lost the deciding game 5 in Miami vs. the Knicks. Both these coaches has the 1 vs. 8 matchup, and both had the game at home. Of course they allowed their teams to lose and their coaching careers were over. Um, not so much. Hell, Riley had a three point lead with under a minute to play and lost. Amazingly, the coach he lost to was JVG. Course give him no credit as a coach for that win, but all the blame for his loss as Rockets coach.

Im not saying JVG was perfect. Im not saying Adelman isnt going to be better. I just think all the JVG hate is rediculous. You think he told Yao to turn the ball over, or Tmac to stop driving to the hoop, or Luther and Juwan to disappear, or the team to not get those last rebounds.

Lastly, no player automatically deserves playing time. Especially a 55th pick in the draft. Vspan was terrible in the meaniful games he got to play after Snyder went down. Not kinda bad, but terrible. To say JVG should have forced the team to keep Vspan on the court is rediculous. If that was your reasoning, shouldnt Tsakalides have gotten 25 minutes a game to see if he could develop into something better. JVG had every right to play whoever gave him the best chance to win. As for it being to save his job, he wouldnt have turned down the extension offers if all he cared about was keeping his job. My guess is he makes more money as a tv analyst next year then he would have as a coach. His win at all cost attitude is what got us home court advantage in the playoffs. Even if it didnt work out, not one fan here was unhappy we ended up with game 7 on our court.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

What about what JVG did to Yao Mings career? :p

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

You mean make him a player worthy of being an all star starter even if he didnt have millions in China voting him in?