1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas’ Long-Awaited Bullet Train Plans to Start Construction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Nov 28, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.papercitymag.com/cultur...uction-high-speed-rail-closer-houston-dallas/

When it comes to fighting traffic for hours on the long trips between Dallas and Houston, there may be a new silver bullet— none other than the Texas Bullet Train. This Japanese-inspired downtown Dallas to northwest Houston high-speed rail would be the first of its kind in the United States.

“Would be” because it’s long felt like a rumor — but now it’s looking a lot more like a “will be.” Masaru Yosano, chief general manager of Central Japan Railway Company, tells WFAA that plans are going forward, complete with a specific time frame.

“We will start the construction next year,” Yosano says.

The Texas train is being developed by Central Japan Railway Company, and its partner, Texas Central. The next step — final approval from the Federal Railroad Administration.

The privately funded bullet train, known as Shinkansen in Japan, can take passengers from Texas Point A to Point B in less than 90 minutes.

Compare that to the three and a half to four hours it takes by car when there’s no traffic. And anyone who regularly drives between Houston and Dallas knows light traffic times are rare. Often the drive stretches out well over four hours.

Pringles likes this.
  2. plates300

plates300 Member

Can't wait for this to finally start. Having been to Japan and riding on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, it's amazing. Not having to worry about traffic or any other stops.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is awesome. Gonna benefit both cities tremendously. I think I paid about $90 one way between Nagoya and Tokyo. Should probably expect similar pricing.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Who the hell wants to go to fn Dallas? Can we connect to NOLA instead please?

edwardc, deb4rockets, Riz and 10 others like this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This > Tax breaks on Hummers

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That route would probably give the term "bullet train" literal meaning.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think it would be more akin to the Drunk Train from “How I Met Your Mother”.

8. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I thought this connection would give way to more job opportunities for people but at $90 a trip, that's kind of pricey to be an everyday commute.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

We got suckered in.

TMac'n and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Great news if true. Even though I no longer live in Houston, I'm sure the many travelers who constantly shuttle back and forth to/from Dallas and vice versa are very excited about this.

11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Any hope of a bullet train from the RGV to any civiization? In my truck, it's 4.5 hours to San Antonio, 5.5 hours to Houston, 6.5 to Austin, 8.5 To Dallas.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How about we build a wall...

Just south of Dallas.

mrm32 likes this.
  13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

This will be nice for weekend getaways. Too bad it’s Dallas, though

Sajan likes this.
  14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Not a big fan. I can't see the ridership elevating to a profitable level. Business travelers will continue to use airlines due to the mileage points and loyalty programs (i.e.: A List for Southwest). Casual/ family travelers will not be enough to keep this afloat. Also, its only a 3 hour drive to Dallas, why not just drive the whole family and not have to rent a car / Uber or Lyft when you get to Dallas?

When this company goes under, guess whose there to pick up the tab: us, the taxpaying citizens.

I live in Cypress and this is going to run roughly 3 miles from my house. This also pisses me off.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I know the NIMBYs in the middle counties between Houston and Dallas don’t want this **** being built in their backyard, but pretty damn sure they are the first to screaming about building a wall in someone else’s county.

Second point, so my post doesn’t get too politicize is that yeah, you could always fly to Dallas. Still don’t know why you would want to. But at least in a train, you have more room. You know you don’t want to sit next to a 400 pound Houstonian.

Sajan likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That Train will be faster than flying.

When measuring total time to get from outside departing terminal to outside arriving terminal, flying will no longer be faster if the train terminals are anywhere near as fast to board as they are in Germany. In Germany, you literally can just jump on the train.

Security/Forced Boarding times of 20 minutes prior/Deboarding/Walking through airport takes more time than the actual flight time Hou-Dal.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dallas wins this one. Houston not building this into the city is beyond stupid.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

According to the map in the OP links, the Houston terminal is at 610 and I-10. That's no bad considering we basically have 2 downtowns. Shouldn't be hard to connect ligh-rail from there to downtown, no? -- which you'd also want to do if it ended in downtown as well.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh they're trying to put it up my butt? Do not want. @Kam

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Couple of points:

1) It's true that passenger trains are rarely profitable. They, much like airlines and bus companies, typically require subsidies to maintain the infrastructure they operate on (airports and highways in the above examples).

2) If this is built, business travelers would absolutely opt to take this over flying, it's been proven around the world that high speed rail captures a greater market share between two cities than flying. It's objectively a more comfortable and more convenient way to travel.

Deckard likes this.