1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texans sign Matt Kalil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Oh how the mighty have fallen https://gridironexperts.com/matt-kalil-nfl-draft-profile

Kalil was a consensus top 5 pick coming out of USC, but after a good start he's declined from an elite LT prospect to a dumpster dive. I liked Wade Smith's assessment and hope Matt decides to light a fire under his ass, because if he doesn't Watt and Clowney will make him regret the day he decided to become a Texan.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Carlos Gomez

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Would be interested to see how our Left Tackles did last year in all 16 games and compare it to Kalil's mediocre 2017 season.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Only pass blocking but here you go:

Shark44 likes this.
  5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

In this article in NFL.com, an analyst claims, Roby was one of the best signings and Kareem Jackson, a bad signing (because of the guaranteed money because he was overpaid, this was posted last monday, March 18, when Bell signed with the Jets, also, he lists 4 OL bad contracts, because they did overpaid them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-agencys-best-contracts-leveon-bells-worth-it

Bradley Roby, CB, Houston Texans:
    The Texans and Broncos swapped cornerbacks in free agency, with Kareem Jackson heading to Denver. Houston got the younger, more talented player at this stage of his career on a one-year, $10 million contract. The tricky part for the Texans will be if this contract goes too well. Their one-year deal for Tyrann Mathieu made my "best contracts" list a year ago, but they weren't able to keep him.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Reads like someone who didn't know Kareem was primarily playing safety until injuries hit the Texans' secondary. If you're looking at this as a Kareem replacement then of course it looks great. Few problems with that:

1. Texans didn't need a replacement for Kareem, they need a #1 CB and Roby couldn't handle being a #2 in Denver
    2. Kareem was a #2 (#3 when Kevin Johnson was healthy the previous year). So Texans just paid their 2nd or 3rd CB $10 million for one year. How is that a good signing? Especially if that means their #1 is old man Joseph?
    3. "He's better than Kareem (the corner)" isn't saying much
    4. #2 CBs were available for much cheaper. The same guy that wrote that article ranked Darby higher than Roby in his top 101 free agents. Roby's contract is higher than Darby's.
    5. He's still the highest paid free agent CB this year

#46 Nimo, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    vupac1, arkoe, Nook and 3 others like this.
  7. raining threes

There go those pesky facts again.

BigM and Nook like this.
  8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I mean there really werent alit of lineman on the market... The only way we were ever gonna get better was thru the draft.

I dont know why everyone keeps complaining about us not signing big time FAs lkke any were even available.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

That is not true. They can get better through free agency, trades AND draft. The draft is not the only way. Most teams draft AND bring in free agents. I guarantee you that the teams that signed free agent linemen will still draft linemen at some point in the draft. You want to build through the draft but you don't want to force them into starting if they're not ready. That could have been what ruined Davenport. He was brought in as a project but was forced to start due to Duane Brown's holdout and injuries. He wasn't ready.

Here are some that could have been had in FA:

-Donald Penn could be plugged in as a starter at LT immediately.
    -Daryl Williams, a free agent, signed a one year $7 million deal with Panthers. He is coming off an injury but he is no doubt an upgrade.
    -Cam Fleming, another free agent, signed a 2 year 8.5 million contract with the Cowboys. Definitely would have made the team better.
    -LaAdrian Waddle signed a one year deal for $2 mil with the Bills. An upgrade.

Speaking of Buffalo they added FIVE new offensive linemen this offseason. And that is just the list of tackles, outside of the top two (Trent and Jawuan), that were available. There were also guards and there were also trades.

vupac1, raining threes and Nook like this.
  10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I dont think playimg Davenport ruined him in fact i think it made him better football players need experience and sometimes you have speed bumps along the way... I feel muxh better about drafting lineman than i do about any of these FAs. But we can agree to disagree.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

To be clear on what we disagree on; I'm not saying sign free agents and don't draft I am saying sign free agents AND draft. Especially if you dont have a high draft pick.

Davenport was a project. He needed time to develop. That was his draft profile. He wasn't ready. They had to play players like Giacomini and Chris Clark as bad as he was. Left tackle might be the worst position to learn on the job; especially in front of a young franchise QB.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I just think that you have to be smart about your use of resources... We have signed multiple OLineman the past few years and we keep looking for more so if you want to really solidify that group for years to come the best way to do that imo is thru the draft... We are signing and drafting lineman so again i dont see the uproar about us not signing Penn or the other guys you mentioned.

To me NFL Free agency is usually a bad way to get better... Because guys that are good just dont hit the open market that often. If these guus were sure things they would have been resigned by thier own teams.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't disagree that they have to be smart about resources. The only linemen they have invested in the past few years have been guards and the only one that you can call a bust is Jeff Allen. Fulton and Kelemete were good (not great) last year. The only FA tackles they have brought in are players like Giacomini and now Matt Kalil. Not a whole lot of investment. For example, the Patriots traded for Trent Brown last year and still drafted a tackle in the first. 49ers resigned Gilliam and still drafted a tackle at #9 overall. Cowboys signed Cam Fleming and still drafted Connor Williams.

Here's the real reason why it's a problem. The Texans pick at 1-23; there's a good chance the top 3 tackles (maybe even 4) are gone by the time they pick. Then they might be stuck picking a RT and trying to make him move to the left AND START.

I think they want to wait till after the draft. If they don't get their tackle in the first then they probably sign Penn and get one later.

#53 Nimo, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    red5rocket, raining threes and Nook like this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the entire post but they should sign Penn anyway and still draft a tackle. Drafting a tackle at 23, 54 or 55, they probably won't be ready right away. I'd probably trust Penn more than Khalil or Davenport.

donkeypunch and Nimo like this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Isn’t that exactly what Gaine is doing? We’ve signed 6 FAs so far and guessing we’ll add another or two as the season approaches. Are any of them “premier” players? Nope but Gipson/McCarron seem to be good signings, Fells/Kalil/BBC could provide some much needed depth along the OL and secondary, and hell maybe we hit the jackpot on Roby. If not, think he’d be a plus backup at a minimum.

Funny these examples are almost identical to what Gaine is actually doing. Should first note that both the Cowboys and Patriots needed to replace multiple lineman who left via FA. Texans on the other hand haven't really loss anyone since we're getting Henderson back. But you're acting as if Gilliam and Fleming were some splash signings. Prior to signing with the 49ers, Gilliam was literally one of the worst tackles in the league. He ended up making one start for them before the getting that extension and never started another. Flemming on the other hand had never been a full time starter, was brought in as a backup, and ended up being pretty terrible at that. These 2 signings are the equivalent, you can maybe even argue worse, to the Kalil/Henderson signings so if you're gonna give them credit, need to give it to Gaine as well. The Patriots did trade for Trent Brown but remember that was a draft day trade after they had drafted Isiah Wynn, who was projected heavily as a OG. If you're considering Ford/Williams as OG prospects, not sure why we're classifying Wynn as a OT all of a sudden.

One final thing is that Connor Williams was drafted at #50 and Wynn at #23. Sure there is a chance that the top tackles are taken. But there's also a chance that one falls, we trade up to get one, we trade for another an established player, etc...Just saying there seems to be a lot of premature complaining with our off season approach when in actuality, it's probably closer to what a lot of the better teams in the league are doing.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This signing is the official white flag of the offseason.

2019 will be a very forgettable year (unless it's catastrophically bad).

red5rocket, raining threes and Nook like this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

That post was specifically about offensive linemen. They just signed their first one last Friday and he has not been impressive of late; even before injury. Many people are even saying he shouldn't be on the roster week 1. Here are my thoughts on the others since you brought them up. I like Gipson. I'm not sure how they are going to use him since he is better as a FS and so is Justin Reid. Texans got better at FS; not sure about SS yet. Roby was a disappointment as a #2 beside one of the top 5 CBs in the league. I don't look forward to him being a #1. If he is just depth, then that's great. But $10 million for a backup corner. Shrug. Not my money. Body-Calhoun is depth/STs. As I see it, they still need to hit on a CB that can fill the #1 corner role; in the draft or elsewhere.

This point was about building the line solely through the draft vs building through the draft and free agency. I don't consider what Gaine did the same at all. You say Cowboys and Patriots needed to replace multiple linemen; I say even more-so the Texans. They were horrible last season. Patriots brought in Trent Brown before they drafted Wynn. Brown >>>>>> Kalil. And because they drafted AND traded; they were okay when Wynn was injured. If Wynn turned out to be better as an OG; again they hedged their bet by having Trent Brown on the roster. This would be the equivalent of the Texans bringing in Donald Penn. A solid starting tackle, if your rookie is not ready. That is not what they have in Kalil except he somehow surprises everyone.

You're right about Gilliam, bad example. But Fleming was the 2nd best tackle available in free agency last off-season. He was not terrible for the Cowboys; far from that. Fleming >>>> Kalil. Henderson is a huge unknown. He had one good not great season and that was over a season ago. He wasn't terribly impressive in training camp last year either.

I think Jonah Williams will be a great LT and a greater RT or guard. I am considering him as one of the top 3 tackles that could be gone by 1-23. If the Texans are able to get him, that's a huge win. Ford, I think, is in a lower tier. I consider him tied for 4th with Little as a tackle prospect. If both Ford and Little are available, I would rather take Little because we know what we're getting as a LT and we don't have a good enough fall-back option at that specific position.

I don't like what they've done so far. It doesn't mean I won't like what they've done a couple months from now. The complaints you are reading are based on real-time current status; not projecting what they do the rest of the off-season. Of course they'll be fine if they come out of the draft with Dillard, Love/Ya-Sin, Risner or Greedy, Little, McGary. And I'm still picking them to win the division again.

#57 Nimo, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    raining threes likes this.
  18. raining threes

Unless Gaine strikes gold in the draft.

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Our GM only shop at the clearance section

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

When did Tilman buy the Texans? :cool::D