1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ten reasons to feel good about this Rocket's season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven Member

These reasons are not listed in any particular order of importance. If they were, I'd say that Yao's health would top the list.

1. The Rockets have a new starting point guard and new backup point guard. Regardless of what else happens, the days of Brick To My Lou are over, and I couldn't be happier about it.

2. The Rockets needed more athleticism. Everyone knew it and this year has seen an improvement in that area with the addition of Von Wafer. He's not the only addition (Brooks, Lowry, White), but he's the most obvious, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs in the playoffs.

3. It's not just athleticism that these new players bring to the table but some much needed youth, and with that youth comes energy and stamina.

4. Putting aside the superstitious nonsense about jinxing a player,Yao's injury free season has been the best news all season.

5. Perhaps the reason for Yao's injury free season is the fact that his minutes have dropped from 37.2 mpg last season to 33.3 mpg this season, so he's putting less wear and tear on his body.

6. The Rockets are 29-8 at home!

7. Ron Artest hasn't done anything too crazy and gotten himself suspended or banned. His antics have (to our knowledge) been containable and non team wrecking. I'll just skip over the part about him being in a contract year, though. No need to go there.

8. Scola keeps improving his all around game. He'll never be a star, but you can bet that every team in the league would love to have him. Thanks San Antonio!

9. Another season where the Rockets turn adversity (T Mac, locker room chemistry, mid season trades) into a positive. Say what you will about their post season chokes, but they do a very good job over overcoming bad news and using it as motivation for late season win streaks.

10. After years of salary cap hell, the Rockets finally have some financial flexibility. Whether it's T Mac's expiring or Artest coming off the books (could an upcoming free agent possibly have less leverage than Artest?), the organization can look forward to being a contender in the much celebrated (and absolutely over hyped) free agent class of 2010.

And one extra.

11. The Rockets have a great general manager who's backed by a shrewd owner. The Rockets have turned the corner folks. They are a franchise perfectly equipped to survive in the new NBA era where one bad contract can sink your team for years. Make no mistake, Alexander wants to win, but he doesn't want to win so badly that he's willing to repeat the financial mistakes of the past. The Rockets will spend, but the days of throwing money at guys like Taylor, Cato, and Maloney are over, which is exactly why Morey was brought in. His job is to make sure we spend smart, not dumb, and that's the single most important thing that will separate bad teams from good.

So there you have it - a season with far more positives than negatives.

9 people like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

5-star post. Great way to remind us that all the negativity we face after losses is just illogical and unreasonable.

3. gamor

gamor Member

nice article! better than espn's

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

12. We win big important games and outside of a few games, this Rockets team can close. Tslack is not needed anymore and I'm glad.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

#13. second round for the first time in the post-hakeem era.

believe it.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

#14. Our record against playoff bound teams has improved quite a bit over the last two years.

7. conquistador#11

This team does not back down from anyone.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Uh, how about the fact that we have a potential to steel finals with T-mac out? I'm not dissing his play when he's healthy... and I'm not going to insult him for what other reason (let's not start the mac bashing, we're all tired of it).

Love him or hate him, that's millions sitting idle that isn't going toward the success of the team. The fact that the Rox can continue without someone in that role speaks for itself. This franchise is deeper than it has ever been.

Could the former Rockets that won championships have fared so well without one of its key starters? I'm not so sure.

9. 1individual

1individual Member

Our only losing record against a contender is the Lakers, 0%.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

agreed 5 stars for you. I haven't felt so good about our teams Toughness.

11. startover

startover Member

Ten stars! I voted twice ;)

12. SladeRider

SladeRider Member

That is the one I agree with more then the others, I've always thought that if Houston reduced Yao's minutes, he'll be alot more valuable to the team and the risk of injury and fatigue goes down dramtically.

13. kaydawkuh

kaydawkuh Member

12. we're atop the division and in second place as of today!!

14. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I agree with all else you said, except this statement... IMO, he is a star now.

15. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Fixed

17. This team has been pulling out close victories and have won hard-fought battles recently. We would've lost these games earlier in the season and in seasons before. This current squad has enough heart and grit to win tough games. And in the playoffs, most games are tough.

16. ebu

ebu Member

The rockets who struggled all year on the road,
    have won their last 4 on the road and won in
    DENVER, NEW ORLEANS, CHARLOTTE (Who were playing great), and now
    San Antonio...this team is getting is def picking it up when needed

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

18. The Rockets are playing.

18. xRocketsfanx

xRocketsfanx Member

great post man i agree wit everything! :cool:

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i trust the team more than i trust t-mac. yeah, he was spectacular in the playoffs but it's painfully obvious that he can't do it alone and that alone is the only way he knows how to play.