1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targeting a quality, young, defensive C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good Post. I have been advocating for Okafor for at least 2 years.

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

He's untouchable at this point.

Brooks + Patterson + Battier + pick for Cousins + Casspi.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

As far as the age limit, I think as long as his timeframe is in line with our core players- Scola, Martin, Lowry, Brooks- it should be fine. I agree that someone like Camby is too much of a band aid, but anyone below 29 should do. With that said I like:

D. Cousins- franchise player potential, but probably most difficult to acquire
    Marc Gasol- great passer, fits Adelman offense perfectly, hard to acquire
    A. Varejao- great fit, one of the biggest impact on my list, easily obtainable
    Nene- consistently great +/-, potentially available
    Emeka Okafur- great defense, worst contract on my list
    Marcin Gortat- older player who is not as proven, uncertain availability

In that order.

While looking at their defensive rating is a GREAT idea, because along with rebounding that is our biggest weakness. However, I don't think we should completely ignore how they might fit within the offense. Adelman's offensive system really requires all 5 players to work in unison. As much flack as Chuck Hayes gets for his lack of offense, he fits in very well as a high post passer.

I bring this up because certain players that others have brought up, namely Javale Mcgee and DeAndre Jordan... well... just imagining them in the high post running Adelman's sets make me want to scratch my eyes out. My point is along with defensive rating, maybe a minimum IQ should be required as well.

As far as guys like Whitesides and Thabeet, maybe actually knowing how to play basketball, just a little, should be a requirement too.

Great thread anyways.

1 person likes this.
  4. akiracy

akiracy Member

Ibaka is untouchable but Cousins isn't?

5. gah

gah Member

Nice breakdown. I agree, we need players for the future but who can step up right away too.

Regarding young players with no experience in running the high post I guess Adelman should be willing to sacrifice that part if they excel at our current needs. Stated, basic principles of his philosophy are making the most of what you’ve got and playing to your player’s strength, I am sure he should be happy figuring out what to do with a player like McGee.

6. ryl

ryl Member

that chart reminds me of marketing class

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Ekpe Udoh

8. Prince

Prince Member

We need a center with a passion for shotblocking...

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

10. somenobody

somenobody Member

It seems like no teams will give up any big men in the league. A decent center is like giant pandas right now. I know the Andersen experiment failed. But I still wondering if there are any chances that we can get one from Europe just like how we acquired Scola.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I dunno....Maybe I am not being homer enough, but I still think Hill for McGee is a great trade for the Rockets if the Wiz would accept it. I got shot down in another thread when I suggested it.

Someone explain to me why I'm so off base.

12. raining threes

Anthony Randoplh would fit the criteria.

13. TheGoldenGreek

I really like JaVale McGee. Not only does he fill the need but I don't think we'd have to sell the farm to get him. His value seems to be kind of low right now because the Wizards want to get rid of him or Blatche. Deandre Jordan would also be nice.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

McGee and Blatche got in a fight outside a club. The Wizards are dumping Blatche, because they value McGee highly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/29/AR2010122904480.html

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

see above post.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

DeAndre Jordan for sure. he is raw as hell. In yesterdays game against the Jazz dude got 14 points, 7 blocks, 5 rebounds

17. gah

gah Member

You're not alone, although the Wizards seem to value him just as we do.

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Ive been following him in D-League as well. The dude is beasting. He is the best big in d-league for sure. Buthe averages 5 fouls per game.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I got conflicting stuff from that article. That's perfectly understandable if they don't want to give up McGee, but it makes it sound like they feel it would be hard to match salaries or something.

I'll hold out hope since Martin wasn't "very available" either. :cool:

20. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Oakafor is NBA all defensive team material, but his contract is hidious. He is type of guy we would want if we wanted to win now. And McGee is one of guys with low IQ and has too many mental switch offs as well. Dude is extremely atheletic though. He is to take if we wanna rebuild and go young.